Re: Service algorithm

All Jaguar F-Pace related discussions
dataglo

Re: Re: Service algorithm

Post by dataglo » Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:23 pm

Hi Bladerunner,
I have read your various comprehensive postings with interest.
I do mostly short journeys in my 3 litre diesel I have sent off for a testing kit from The Oil Lab.
As the engine has no dipstick and I am not keen to remove the drain plug or filter can you advise where I might take a sample?
F-Pace. 3.0 diesel Portfolio MY 2019. Corris Grey, 20 ins Venom diamond cut, Lumbar, Memory pack, Park assist

Bladerunner

Post by Bladerunner » Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:26 am

Hello Dataglo,
There is no sump plug on the 3.0 lt. F-Pace, you can buy a 9 Lt. Hand Vac. pump, which will allow you to do your own oil changes?, I have seen them on UK sites "Mityvac 7201" or one of your choice, you can use this to suck the 7 Lt. + Hot/Warm engine oil out of your engines sump via. the extraction tube, which is on the rt. front side looking at your engine, it has a stopper which you can remove by hand, push on your Vac. Tube adaptor - then pump!.

If you are taking a sample only, the Oil Test Kits usually come with clean "New" tubing, make sure everything is clean so you don't contaminate your sample with debris/dust etc. on the top end of the extractor tube, if you are handy you can use a very clean honey jar or similar - cut the new test kit tube length in half, drill two holes in the jar lid to suit the tube for a push fit, say 25 mm. below the lid, screw the lid onto the jar, you can then fit your vac. pump to one tube the the other to the Extraction Tube, this will deposit say 200+ mls. of "mid stream uncontaminated" oil into the jar which you then decant the volume requested into the sample container supplied in the kit, your done?.

If you are doing Oil & Filter Changes, remove the plastic engine cover to expose the Oil Filter canister, use socket to suit hex. to remove canister top to allow filter element removal/replacement etc. if you need more info, please pm. me.

I hope this helps?.

meandraft

Post by meandraft » Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:40 am

I did my own oil and filter change last time and used a vacuum oil extractor as explained earlier. My short journeys to work crucify my service intervals but I've been changing oil on cars for years now. It's actually an easy job and pleasantly clean using this method. Strangely enough I extracted 8 litres from a car that only takes 7! Must be diluted with diesel.

20191110_142212.jpg

3.0S Diesel Santorini black. 2017MY.
TVR Chimaera 400

dataglo

Post by dataglo » Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:09 pm

Hi Bladerunner,
Thank you for the information, most informative.
A good percentage of my journeys are short and I feel an interim oil change would be a good idea.In my younger days I serviced my own car so I should still be capable of changing the oil. A lot easier when I don't have to crawl underneath!
Looks like a vacuum pump is on the to buy list.
Thanks also Meandraft for the info and photo. Confirms the location of the extractor tube.

Best
Dataglo
F-Pace. 3.0 diesel Portfolio MY 2019. Corris Grey, 20 ins Venom diamond cut, Lumbar, Memory pack, Park assist

meandraft

Post by meandraft » Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:29 pm

You'll need a 32mm socket to remove the oil filter. It's surprisingly tight and slightly recessed so you won't get grips on it.
TVR Chimaera 400

dataglo

Post by dataglo » Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:13 pm

Thanks meandraft. Noted.

Bladerunner

Post by Bladerunner » Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:00 pm

meandraft,
That extra oil volume is a worry, did the High Oil Level show on your information screen? - if oil level in your sump is too high the crank can aerate the oil and cause engine failure!.
What mileage had you done before you changed your oil, have you tested your oil?

meandraft

Post by meandraft » Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:06 pm

Hi Bladerunner
I last changed my oil at 29,357 miles in November. I've now done 33,346mls with 4,250 miles to go
until a service is due. This will only give me 8000+ miles in between services. I seems unclear on this forum whether there is a an oil quality sensor or the service intervals are purely time based. I might well get an oil testing kit. I did buy one but gave it to my son for his MGB.
TVR Chimaera 400

Bladerunner

Post by Bladerunner » Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:53 pm

meandraft,
There is "NO" Oil Sensor to detect (DFD) Diesel Fuel Dilution, it purely an Engine Management Algorithm based on DPF regeneration cycles etc.

I have reduced some vehicles oil changes to 3-4,000 mls based on the DFD as reflected in their individual Oil Tests - as mentioned in previous posts, some were at 11%, so do not stick to mileage only as your trigger to do Oil Changes, take control of your vehicles future longevity, get a handle on what your driving habit is contributing to your DFD, you can then adopt an Oil Change based on these results.

Note: 3% + DFD is the start of concern to watch and detect the source of Diesel "Leak or in the case of JLR DPF Regen Cycles" - 6% DFD is the industry max tolerated, if this increases above this long term engine damage will be the result!.

meandraft

Post by meandraft » Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:46 am

Hi Bladerunner
Thanks for the clarification. Based on your earlier post I've ordered an oil test kit so the results will be interesting. I'll share them on here.
TVR Chimaera 400