Paint Scratch Lower Skirt - any repair ideas?

All Jaguar F-Pace related discussions
MyV6Jag

Paint Scratch Lower Skirt - any repair ideas?

Post by MyV6Jag » Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:22 pm

Hi all
My careless bin men have a habit of recently throwing my recycling bins towards my car once emptied.
I caught the idiot on CCTV doing it this morning and both bins hit my car :x
Both caused paint damage to the lower black skirting paintwork.
I have shared evidence with the council asking them to pay for the damage to be rectified.
Attached is one photo.
If they don't pay up, is there a black cover pen out there of some sort to try and make the scratch less visible?
Cheers

20200324_094024.jpg

:o :o :o
3L Supercharged V6 Petrol, Ammonite Grey, Privacy Glass, Black 22" Double Helix 15 Spoke, Jet/Red Interior, Sliding Panaromic Roof, Black Pack

Bob a

Re: Paint Scratch Lower Skirt - any repair ideas?

Post by Bob a » Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:44 pm

If the dont pay i would give "chipsaway" a call. They are all over the country.
2017 R-sport 25d firenze red. 22" wheels, panoramic roof and many other extras. Wifes gift from my retirement money. But in use it more lol.

Jagfpacejk

Post by Jagfpacejk » Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:42 pm

If they do not pay i would take legal advice as i am sure that's classed as criminal damage regardless if they are the bin men, no where does it state they have a right to cause damage to peoples property and be clear to do so.

It was an accident so i am sure the council will do the right thing.

You may need to wait to hear back as they may say they want to look at the damage first and if you have corrected this issue you may not be able to claim.
Ex Owner of a Pre Launch 1st Edition Supercharged V6 and a Ex Owner of 1st Edition Diesel V6

KHatman

Post by KHatman » Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:28 am

I had Chips Away out to look at a scratch that wasn’t as bad as that one looks and they reckoned they couldn’t (or should I say wouldn’t) attempt to rectify mine and pointed me to a body shop. If you run your finger over it and you can feel it then generally it’s too bad for a Chips Away type repair

If you have video evidence you should be fine getting the council to pay, hopefully without too much of a fight - good luck
2019 F Pace 2.0D R Sport, Manual, Corris grey and very little else

Jagfpacejk

Post by Jagfpacejk » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:35 am

Our local Chips Away repair center has done much worse damage then this on cars we have taken to them.

Maybe not something a home repair would do but certainly someone they could do in one of there centers and was priced very good and would not know they had done the work.
Ex Owner of a Pre Launch 1st Edition Supercharged V6 and a Ex Owner of 1st Edition Diesel V6

balders

Post by balders » Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:12 pm

Is that the plastic black pack trim that's damaged? If so, it may be cheaper and easier to simply replace the trim.

Balders

MyV6Jag

Post by MyV6Jag » Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:09 pm

Yes. The lower black trim around the bottom of the doors

Waiting for councils response to my video of the bin man kicking the first bin and then throwing the second one behind him. Both bins hit the car but I managed to rub off the mark caused by the first one that was kicked yet the second made a deeper paint scratch as per the pic.
It was all clearly deliberate.
:o :o :o
3L Supercharged V6 Petrol, Ammonite Grey, Privacy Glass, Black 22" Double Helix 15 Spoke, Jet/Red Interior, Sliding Panaromic Roof, Black Pack

Smitten

Post by Smitten » Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:19 pm

If you can't feel it, it will almost certainly polish out. If you have a DA Polisher try a very fine cutting and polishing pad like Chemical Guys white hexalogic with a fine compound. I have had good success on the plastic sill below the tailgate removing multiple scratches and the plastic areas between front and rear doors which get swirl marked. If you can feel it, Chips Away will deal with it for circa £90 as I had something similar repaired on another car recently.
3.0d S, Santorini black, black pack, 22" black rims, LEDs, Priv, 350W, ICTP, Ebony interior, AdSR, space saver, config ambient, remote release, lumbar, winter pack, rear recline. Build date Friday 13/4/18 :D