Brake disc replacements

Faults and Technical chat for the Jaguar F-Pace.
NooNoo

Brake disc replacements

Post by NooNoo » Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:41 am

So I have a 30d FE now nearly 4 years old since 1st registration and both front and rear discs (& pads) need replacing due to corrosion, even though the car is still in its extended warranty period the dealer has already said they won’t replace them foc so think I will do them myself during this lockdown period if I can get the parts delivered in time,
But looking at the replacement options that pop up in the internet search I have narrowed it down too 3 options based on quality which are, Zimmerman, Brembo or Febi Bilstein, there is a little price difference between the 3 but I just want the one that is the same or closest to oem, anyone no what jlr use as they will almost certainly be a rebranded from one of the main manufacturers, also if I don’t buy the discs from JLR and use one of the mentioned 3rd partys would that invalidate my warranty, it is a Uk 2 year extended I got with the car when purchased from the main dealer, thanks

Deltasierra

Re: Brake disc replacements

Post by Deltasierra » Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:37 pm

Jaguar are buying discs from a cheap supplier probably several, you won’t find out who because nobody is going to admit supplying discs that corrode and need replacing in 2 or 3 years, the discs on mine are still good after nearly 3 yrs, if I had to replace them I would use a good aftermarket brand not OEM.
FPace 3.0D Portfolio Loire Blue, light interior, tow bar. No issues a very good car
Gone F Pace Prestige 2 liter Auto, tow bar, reversing camera, 14 way seats, 18 inch all season tyres
XKR Convertible

ChrisC

Post by ChrisC » Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:42 pm

My dealer tried to shaft me telling me both pads and discs needed replaced (critial / urgent blah blah blah). And wanted to charge £1300. A quick trip to an independent told me:-
- they were nowhere near needing replaced
- they would do it for less than 1/2 the cost with a quality make when the time was right.

8 months later they still don't need done.
F-Pace 3.0D S

Deltasierra

Post by Deltasierra » Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:32 pm

I’ve had the same experience as Chris, not just with Jaguar, its all across the motor trade, you just have to challenge everything they say. However you have to “dance with the devil” so you need to play the game if you want a new car.
FPace 3.0D Portfolio Loire Blue, light interior, tow bar. No issues a very good car
Gone F Pace Prestige 2 liter Auto, tow bar, reversing camera, 14 way seats, 18 inch all season tyres
XKR Convertible

ChrisC

Post by ChrisC » Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:33 pm

You do indeed...

There is nothing I find more annoying that the video they send you pertaining to work needing done. My local dealer is pretty hopeless at the best of times, and these sort of things do very little to re-inforce any sense they know what they are doing.
F-Pace 3.0D S

JOCK55

Post by JOCK55 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:11 pm

I agree. The last time my dealer sent me a video to prove what he was saying about my car, the video wasn't even of my car!! I think it was a stock video they push out to punters in the hope that they are dumb enough to believe them. The only reason they send the video is that they have lied so many times in the past, nobody believes them. Take it to and Indi garage, you'll get better service at half the price.
MY19 R-SPORT, Caesium Blue, Ingenium i4 300PS Turbo Petrol, AWD with all the bells and whistles.

Craigann B

Post by Craigann B » Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:09 pm

Just had it out with JLR help as my just 3 year old has rusted discs even though the front pads are only 20% worn. They will not replace then under warranty. Will leave mine till just before it’s next mot as brakes are great just now.

Dealer quoted £555.97 to replace the rear only. On the Jaguar Webb they have a fIxed pricing for £425.00 and £475.00 for the front so all 4 for £900.00. This may be for vehicles over 3 years old under fixed price servicing. So don’t pay any more than £900.
MY17. F-Pace 3.0d S Italian Racing Red with Black Pack, Cold Pack, Blind Spot, Privacy Glass, Spare Wheel, Cup Holder Cover, Panoramic Roof.

nigelmwilliams7

Post by nigelmwilliams7 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:10 am

does anyone know of a good online guide on steps howto change the pads on the front.
I see a retaining clip which is easy to remove to expose the pads but then what...
Nigel
03/2017 Ultimate Black 2.0d R Sport, Pano, 20"Blades, Black Pack

big jon

Post by big jon » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:13 am

nigelmwilliams7 wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:10 am
a large allen bolt on inside covered by rubber then swing caliper up to remove
R sport, AWD Auto, White, black pack,, dynamics pack, panoramic roof, ICTP 380, folding mirrors,20"black venoms and much more

Hydrajaws

Post by Hydrajaws » Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:56 pm

Deltasierra wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:37 pm
Jaguar are buying discs from a cheap supplier probably several, you won’t find out who because nobody is going to admit supplying discs that corrode and need replacing in 2 or 3 years, the discs on mine are still good after nearly 3 yrs, if I had to replace them I would use a good aftermarket brand not OEM.
How correct you are that JLR are sourcing their discs from the cheapest who will supply and the dealers were instructed a long time ago that they would not be reimbursed if they replaced them because of corrosion on the surface and edges.
What a disgraceful situation that a company once known for a quality product is now sourcing products purely on price such as brake discs and suspension parts which rust and leather that has no smell and the colour rubs off.
Regretfully 2 Rejected F Paces behind me but now happily driving a 2018. 2.0 D 240 AWD XF Sportbrake in caesium blue.
Summer car 2006 XK 4.2 Convertible.