Rear driveshafts corroded

Faults and Technical chat for the Jaguar F-Pace.
KeithL

Rear driveshafts corroded

Post by KeithL » Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:26 pm

The F-Pace had its first MoT this morning and I asked the inspector to give the car a good look over whilst he was at it, conscious the manufacturer's warranty is due to expire soon. One issue he spotted was corrosion on the rear driveshafts. The offside is worse than the nearside and neither are a major problem at the moment but he said this may change in a few years. The front driveshafts are perfectly fine. The car has done just over 13K miles.

Has anyone else had an issue with corrosion on the rear driveshafts?

DSC05727.JPG

2017 2.0 i4 Diesel (180PS) Auto AWD Portfolio in Indus Silver with ICTP

Jalees

Re: Rear driveshafts corroded

Post by Jalees » Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:08 pm

By any chance you live near coastal area?
Or too much driving during winter when there is salt spreading?
I am unable to find a place in London who can wash car undercarriage after winter driving.
I'll try to look at my cars drive shafts it's 1 year old and at 15k now roughly.
Let's see fingers crossed.

Regards,
KJ
MY18 F Pace, 25t R sport, Firenze red, and some options.
Ex owner of Mercedes C200 AMG Line premium plus. I keep comparing the options and get disappointed sometimes JAG is missing out from half priced car.

Jagfpacejk

Post by Jagfpacejk » Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:25 pm

As he’s profile says Worcestershire you can count out living by the sea and that county is no where near any seas. ;)

It may just be that a Stone has flicked up and chipped off the covering allowing water ect to get in under the coating and has caused the rusting issue and may explain why you found some to be worse then others.
Ex Owner of a Pre Launch 1st Edition Supercharged V6 and a Ex Owner of 1st Edition Diesel V6

KeithL

Post by KeithL » Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:30 pm

As you say, nowhere near the sea being in Worcestershire, but we must have driven on salted roads at some stage although being retired we tend to semi-hibernate in the winter. :D

I can see that a stone chip might be the root cause of this, but I am a bit disappointed if the drive shafts are that vulnerable.

Regardless of the cause, should I be worried about this level of corrosion?

Jagfpacejk

Post by Jagfpacejk » Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:12 pm

My own personal view is no I would not be worried as I am sure if others looked they will be in a similar condition, how often do we actually look under our cars in this much detail.

At present it may appear bad but I am sure they will be good for many more years.

As said that’s my own personal thoughts and may differ from others views.
Ex Owner of a Pre Launch 1st Edition Supercharged V6 and a Ex Owner of 1st Edition Diesel V6

Catmad

Post by Catmad » Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:42 pm

I wouldn't worry about them - they are made of carbon steel which will rust as soon as any protective coating comes off. When carbon steel rusts it actually forms a protective barrier against further oxidisation so I would doubt they will ever corrode enough to substantially reduce the diameter. Also I've never heard (over 45 years of motoring) of drive shafts failing through corrosion!
2.0D Prestige 180 AWD Auto Italian Racing Red

KeithL

Post by KeithL » Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:26 am

Thanks to the last two posters for their reassurance. I'll stop worrying (about this at any rate).

Return to “Faults & Technical Discussions”