Dieselgate: should VW be made to pay in the UK too?

The place to discuss everything else..
catwoman

Dieselgate: should VW be made to pay in the UK too?

Post by catwoman » Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:48 pm

Dieselgate scandal rumbles on . . article on the BBC news website yesterday . . https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-50631823

If VW have been found guilty and forced to compensate customers in other parts of the world for cheating emissions tests by fitting defeat software in their diesel cars, should they also be liable to pay compensation to UK customers too? Looks like they're trying to wriggle out of their responsibilities by arguing about the definition of what a defeat device actually is.

"In 2015, VW admitted 11 million cars worldwide - including 1.2 million in the UK - had software that reduced readings of emissions in tests."

"Volkswagen has faced a flurry of legal action worldwide, and has been forced to pay out more than €30bn (£26bn) in fines, recall costs and civil settlements. The carmaker's current and former senior employees are facing criminal charges in Germany."

Meanwhile, it's claimed that pollution is killing-off around 1000 people every day in Europe.

Smitten

Re: Dieselgate: should VW be made to pay in the UK too?

Post by Smitten » Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:10 pm

I am not too sure what the point is of pursuing compensation claims like this other than making law firms richer and car manufacturers poorer. My Audi was fixed free of charge with a software update and I wasn't personally blamed for causing additional pollution by driving it so why do I need compensating? I agree with corporate responsibility of course but I think it can be taken too far.

Seems like VW have seen the light though now and made a massive switch in their thinking with the ID platform vehicles coming along during 2020 and this in turn has helped change the thinking of all the big manufacturers. So the scandal has had a massive impact for good. The future looks brighter in that direction and I don't think things would have changed so quickly without it being made public. However I am not sure attitudes will change quickly enough to solve the C02 dilemma without major government interventions. The BIK taxation change in April 2020 to 0% (for EV drivers up to £40,000 in value) will obviously drive a big switch to EV ownership as will charging infrastructure at places of work and salary sacrifice schemes but, I think the government should also reduce VAT on EV sales to the same level as solar panels. At 5% VAT that would make an EV substantially cheaper, boost sales and really help drive adoption - although all that electricity needs to be generated somehow and all those batteries with nasty ingredients need to be manufactured somewhere and recycled...

As for pollution killing off a 1000 people a day, I can believe it. I used to cycle 16 miles across London to work and back every day and I dread to think what I inhaled. Now my neighbours have started smoking me out with their trendy wood burning stoves and the local council has built an incinerator to burn all that recycling that can't be exported to China anymore!!

On a positive note I drove my first EV today and really enjoyed it....searching for a replacement for the Fiat 500 town car.
3.0d S, Santorini black, black pack, 22" black rims, LEDs, Priv, 350W, ICTP, Ebony interior, AdSR, space saver, config ambient, remote release, lumbar, winter pack, rear recline. Build date Friday 13/4/18 :D

catwoman

Post by catwoman » Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:36 pm

Yep, I agree, apart from deception there's nothing to compensate individual VW owners for; they've driven their cars and they have presumably worked as expected, so they've not actually suffered any material loss. However, I do think VW should be forced to pay some kind of fine as recompense for cynical disregard of the environment and public health. As part of their court penalty settlement in the U.S. they were mandated to spend $2 billion setting up an independent entity for creating an EV charging network infrastructure, called Electrify America (see below...) I think something similar and proportionate in the UK would be a step in the right direction. With the exception of the E-Golf and Up models, they've been dragging their feet on bringing these proposed new ID electric models to market; they're very good at issuing press-releases every other week, but actual product has still yet to hit the roads.

Anyway, that's good news Smitten, you trying out an EV for the first time (but what took you so long! :lol: ) . . what did you test drive?

This from CNBC earlier this year . . https://www.cnbc.com/2019/05/10/vws-2-b ... ss-us.html

VW Electrify America.jpg

Smitten

Post by Smitten » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:49 pm

Yes some form of corporate punishment/recompense would work better!

Drove an e Golf today. Leaf on Friday. Zoe next week. Was a passenger in a Hyundai Ionic recently. Really liked the e Golf although there won't be an e version in the new Golf 8 shape due to the ID allegedly arriving next year. So the shape will be obsolete quickly. The new satnav has gesture and voice control and is integrated to the digital dash in a really crisp way but neither are standard features although adaptive cruise is. Choice wise I really need a second car, something small for around town only that will also fit the dog when needed so range isn't a concern as it will never do more than 50 miles a day. Planning to lease for 2 years and then see if there is a better choice of EVs at better prices. I have a bit of a problem with some of the wacky styling out there for EVs though and nobody could say the Leaf is a looker. Hyundai too big for what I need. Leaf is ugly and Zoe not sure about. BMW i3 seems a bit old tech now. Tesla 3 is good but again, need something smaller. Choice is a bit lacking at the lower end.
3.0d S, Santorini black, black pack, 22" black rims, LEDs, Priv, 350W, ICTP, Ebony interior, AdSR, space saver, config ambient, remote release, lumbar, winter pack, rear recline. Build date Friday 13/4/18 :D

Return to “Off-Topic Chat”