Auto High Beam Assist

Faults and Technical chat for the Jaguar F-Pace.
TimD

Re: Auto High Beam Assist

Post by TimD » Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:39 pm

I wasn’t aware of Topix until I saw Shaz and Jock55 posts. On checking Topix I see the same “ LESS AUTO HIGH BEAM ASSIST” so I guess I’m stuck with manual main beam.

Thanks for the help folks!

adeolly

Post by adeolly » Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:22 am

I have the adaptive LED headlights and AHBA. It's a bit of a mixed blessing.. it can be very useful but also is, how shall I say, a but rude. It can be slow to dip, sometimes flashes when it loses 'sight'of the car in front and doen't deal well with hills and bends when there is oncoming traffic. I've not yet turned it off, but it's 60/40. Oddly, my wife's DS also has AHBA and it's rather better behaved, thoigh still not perfect.
MY19, 2.0D AWD, R-Sport, Polaris, LEDs, Piemento, power fold mirrors, 380W Meridian, TFT instruments, power seats, space saver... excellent ITCP 18C now with Apple CarPlay

Arnie!

Post by Arnie! » Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:25 am

I totally agree. I have turned mine off. I find it annoying, embarrassing even. It's just not quick or intelligent enough. Before I had a car with AHBA I always wondered why some drivers left it late to turn off HB and it's probably because they had this feature.
3.0 D S ICTP 22" wheels

Smitten

Post by Smitten » Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:32 am

It seems better on darker roads without street lights and is very accurate and quick. Where it seems to a problem sometimes are areas where I wouldn't put full beam on at all for example on dual carriageway or motorway at night but it is fairly simple to intervene in those situations and revert to manual. Not perfect I agree but a big help in certain situations.
3.0d S, Santorini black, black pack, 22" black rims, LEDs, Priv, 350W, ICTP, Ebony interior, AdSR, space saver, config ambient, remote release, lumbar, winter pack, rear recline. Build date Friday 13/4/18 :D

Arnie!

Post by Arnie! » Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:01 am

Smitten

Yes I have to agree with that, darker roads do seem to be better but I do still find it annoying even on darker quiet roads if you are following someone and keep a respectful distance as soon as that vehicle goes out of sight for the briefest of moments, say a corner the AHBA comes on and I find the delay in it turning off when the vehicle is in sight again not quick enough. I assume there just isn't enough light from someone's rear lights to anticipate it to turn off before the vehicle comes into view. Much better with oncoming traffic but then the lights are much brighter. Also doesn't handle undulating roads very well when following a vehicle. Slightly different, not AHBA but just auto lights coming on, going off, coming on etc when travelling through heavy tree lined areas in daylight. Surely that has to be annoying for people!
3.0 D S ICTP 22" wheels

Smitten

Post by Smitten » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:00 pm

Arnie

I have noticed similar as well but my main issue is when it decides to switch to main beam when and a vehicle is approaching but its lights are partly shaded by the central reservation or crash barrier. It's not perfect but it's a real help and I wouldn't be without it, overall.
3.0d S, Santorini black, black pack, 22" black rims, LEDs, Priv, 350W, ICTP, Ebony interior, AdSR, space saver, config ambient, remote release, lumbar, winter pack, rear recline. Build date Friday 13/4/18 :D

Rusk

Post by Rusk » Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:22 am

It mostly is rubbish sadly. Before both my F-Paces I had a BMW M4 with their matrix LED lights. That system was simply amazing. Very fast reactions when it should dip and having the light adjust as cars approach by turning off sectors of the beam worked flawlessly. I never once got flashed and the added visibility was great. This was on a 64 plate car and has gone onto the next generation of this tech already.

It is features like this that really show the lack of budget JLR have for R&D compared to the big boys. JLR are at least two generations behind.
Current: F-Pace SVR :twisted:
Sold: 2018 F-Pace S 3.0D

Smitten

Post by Smitten » Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:11 pm

Why aren't you driving a BMW or Merc then? JLR must be getting something right? Design? Price point? Handling? Clearly the big boys have bigger budgets but there is 'something' about a Jaguar that attracted us all!

Rusk

Post by Rusk » Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:12 pm

JLR are getting plenty right for sure. Overall package is great. There is nothing close to the F-Pace SVR for example for performance + looks + price point. BMW X4 is not as roomy and not a V8. The X5M is a bit big and way more expensive. Merc GLC is a V8 but again price is higher like for like and I personally don't like the looks.

If you zoom into individual features, however, then they do fall short. I didn't think it was short enough to stop me buying but might be for others.
Current: F-Pace SVR :twisted:
Sold: 2018 F-Pace S 3.0D

Smitten

Post by Smitten » Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:13 pm

Yes I have noticed my old friend (previous car) Audi A6 Avant now has matrix LED as standard and some Jaguar safety features that are extras are standard on cheaper cars such as blind spot monitoring and even adaptive cruise was standard on a rental Hyundai I had recently. And yet Jaguar seems to have got ahead in the electric car stakes. Clearly all the major manufacturers are looking for ways to work together going forward and relatively small manufacturers will need to team up with bigger players to share technology and development. So future Jags may well get access to some BMW tech and vice versa although not sure what the exact nature of the agreement is between them.

Return to “Faults & Technical Discussions”