Hairline Scratches & Smeary Paint

Detailing, Cleaning and Maintaining your F-Pace.
sweetymooth

Hairline Scratches & Smeary Paint

Post by sweetymooth » Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:38 pm

Hi All,

I've just picked up my Caesium Blue RS F Pace at the weekend. It was my dream car and it has been fine until I decided to rinse it off following a dusty drive home through the countryside. I used a gentle pressure garden hose and the car has been left with huge smeary marks all over it. I also noticed a couple of hairline scratches on the bonnet. These details were not visible on collection (I checked with a gimlet eye!) and I am left feeling a bit flat. I spoke to the dealership who suggested I take the car for a full valet. I countered this 'suggestion' with one of my own - that they take my car for a full valet at their cost and return it to me sparkling! They have agreed to this.

I am left feeling very upset and a bit daft that I had somehow brought this on myself with the garden hose!!

The car was a year old so I kind of feel that it is not going to be pristine but I also feel that scratches should have been polished out. I also had the rear tyre pressure indicator come on twice in one day (inspite of air being topped up) so I am also worried about the quality of the back tyre.

Opinions please!

Smitten

Re: Hairline Scratches & Smeary Paint

Post by Smitten » Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:08 am

The smeary paint could be the result of whatever quick detailer was used on the car being applied to a warm surface and it might just be more noticeable after rinsing. As for fine scratches, if you can't feel them with your finger nail they are marks in the clear coat and easily removed with a good quality polish or scratch remover. Some compounds/polishes/detailers include products to hide fine scratches as well.

I have a black car and it picks up fine scratches all the time especially on the wings, doors and boot lip. I would invest in a good DA Polisher and take a look at You Tube for guidance on how to use it and what products work best. Don't be afraid. They are simple to use and produce great results. I have removed virtually all the marring on my car as it appears.
3.0d S, Santorini black, black pack, 22" black rims, LEDs, Priv, 350W, ICTP, Ebony interior, AdSR, space saver, config ambient, remote release, lumbar, winter pack, rear recline. Build date Friday 13/4/18 :D

Smitten

Post by Smitten » Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:12 am

Another thought is are you in a hard water area? If so, a water filter for final rinse of car is incredibly useful in this warm weather. I use a 0 ppm one and it makes life so much easier drying the vehicle.
3.0d S, Santorini black, black pack, 22" black rims, LEDs, Priv, 350W, ICTP, Ebony interior, AdSR, space saver, config ambient, remote release, lumbar, winter pack, rear recline. Build date Friday 13/4/18 :D

lozpace

Post by lozpace » Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:22 am

I’ve a black model like Smitten and have also invested in a DA and various compounds, it’s the only way to get rid of the micro scratches.
F Pace February 2018
2.0 litre 180ps AWD Automaic Portfolio, Santorini Black, 19” 5038 Wheels, Privacy Glass, ICTP 380watt, Heated Steering Wheel, Space Saver Spare, 4 way lumber, InControl Secure Tracker, Service Pack.

FXE

Post by FXE » Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:20 am

I would be extremely happy that the dealer agreed to swallow the cost of getting it detailed considering it is a year old car. There is always gonna be wear on a car that is not brand new and has been driven.

Smitten

Post by Smitten » Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:45 pm

Too right. I only have to think about driving mine and it picks up marks! Car parks, overgrown plants, anyone walking near the car, putting stuff in the boot....life in general!

Return to “Detailing & Car Care”