Metallic sound clicks while driving at low speed

Faults and Technical chat for the Jaguar F-Pace.
pepelugil

Metallic sound clicks while driving at low speed

Post by pepelugil » Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:44 am

Hello,

I’ve recently noticed that my F-Pace 2017 2.0D is making some noises from bellow the car while driving at low speed, they are not easy to detect, only I hear them with the driver window open and driving inside a silent car park, but then these metallic clicks are perfectly heard.

It doesn’t matter if I’ve just started the car or if I’ve driven some kilometres, every time I’m moving inside the car park with the window down, I hear them, independent of driving forward or reverse, and straight or turning.

Here is a link to a record I’ve made of it, they are clearly heard at seconds 5, 13, 43 and 51: https://www.upload.ee/files/10341622/clicks.mp3.html

Is this completely normal and I’ve not noticed them until driving with the window down in the car park or is this something I should worry about?

Thanks and best regards

FP Steve B

Re: Metallic sound clicks while driving at low speed

Post by FP Steve B » Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:54 pm

Stones in your tyres?
Delivered 28/11/18, 3.0d V6 Portfolio Auto AWD, Fuji White, Ebony Windsor Leather Electric Seats, Adaptive LED lights.
Gone: LR Discovery Sport 180, Holden Clubsport R8 6.2ltr V8, Jeep Cherokee 2.8 CRD, Toyota Supra Twin Turbo, Ford Mustang Cobra V8. 8-)

pepelugil

Post by pepelugil » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:46 pm

I don't think so, I've only driven over tarmac for long time and the sound and feel is as a metallic switch was turned on.

DPE

Post by DPE » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:51 pm

Have you removed the wheels to check nothing is catching as they turn ?
F Pace 3.0d S AWD, Corris Grey, Heated Seats front/Rear, Heated Steering Wheel, Panoramic roof, Space Saver wheel and Nice wheels, lots of Stuff.. and cup covers 8-)

pepelugil

Post by pepelugil » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:22 pm

No, but the sound happens without turning wheels, sometimes after moving forward in the car park when I move the gear dial to reverse it hear the click after reverse is engaged and before the car starts moving.

Jalees

Post by Jalees » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:17 pm

Hi,

Probably that click is gear selection and should be considered normal I think I also hear sometimes and mostly not. Like you said when in D and when you select R you hear click that is gear change mechanism if I am not wrong. Unless you hear it constantly. Guess what I have a different click than yours I am guessing those are loose break pads when I reverse apply break and when I put my car in D and then apply break I am taking about car park speed I hear click. Not sure if you are hearing that.

Regards,
KJ
MY18 F Pace, 25t R sport, Firenze red, and some options.
Ex owner of Mercedes C200 AMG Line premium plus. I keep comparing the options and get disappointed sometimes JAG is missing out from half priced car.

pepelugil

Post by pepelugil » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:48 am

Hi, it's similar to what you say, the clicks are heard when driving forward at park speed (without pressing the accelerator) and when driving reverse, so I don't think is change mechanism as I'm not wrong in those scenarios there's no gear change.

Regards

Jalees

Post by Jalees » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:14 am

Hi,
Got it that I think is same I also hear and mostly car park or on a quite road when I reverse apply break and then put in D and move forward so gear is not changed at that speed and if you apply break gently you hear a click. Once that click is heard you can try reversing and gently apply break you might hear it again , I am guessing that is loose break mechanism, I had this type of thing on a Honda about 10 or 15 years back car was new and did something similar, replaced break pads with newer ones and problem sorted.
I am not bothered anymore as my car got so many problems and have been in and out of dealer , I just want to return it at the end of my PCP contract, new car experience spoiled for me.

Regards,
KJ
MY18 F Pace, 25t R sport, Firenze red, and some options.
Ex owner of Mercedes C200 AMG Line premium plus. I keep comparing the options and get disappointed sometimes JAG is missing out from half priced car.

pepelugil

Post by pepelugil » Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:02 am

Thanks, as I have other things to look for, I'll also ask my dealer to look at this.

Return to “Faults & Technical Discussions”