4x4 V all wheel drive

All Jaguar F-Pace related discussions
Sirrah4941

4x4 V all wheel drive

Post by Sirrah4941 » Sun May 12, 2019 12:33 am

Silly question but I’m a Landrover boy at heart ( Range Rover, Evoque and Discovery so far. So I know the capabilities of these cars and I’m impressed to know I have a lot of capability should I need it .

When it comes to Jaguar and it’s all wheel drive- this means not full 4x4 but how good is it and can it perform in ice/snow etc ?

Keen to know

Smitten

Re: 4x4 V all wheel drive

Post by Smitten » Sun May 12, 2019 9:07 am

With All Surface Progress Control the vehicle checks many times each second how much power is needed to each wheel to maintain traction. On dry roads you get rear wheel drive sports car like handling but it can swiftly become intelligent 4 wheel drive. I hit a patch of pooled sheeting water on the auto bahn at speed in December and felt a slight shudder as water grabbed the wheels and traction was redistributed and restored. Amazing and it has given me huge confidence in the vehicle. It's not a proper permanent 4 wheel drive off road vehicle but it retains a great deal of off road capability. I would argue that tyres are equally important in ice and snow and a 4 wheel drive on summer or all season tyres will be outperformed by a 2 wheel drive on winter tyres. Jaguar recommends winter tyres below 7 degrees C and many on here switch to maintain winter traction, myself included.
3.0d S, Santorini black, black pack, 22" black rims, LEDs, Priv, 350W, ICTP, Ebony interior, AdSR, space saver, config ambient, remote release, lumbar, winter pack, rear recline. Build date Friday 13/4/18 :D

Deltasierra

Re: 4x4 V all wheel drive

Post by Deltasierra » Sun May 12, 2019 7:15 pm

I’m trying to think if there are any permanent 4 wheel drive, I can think of one or two with manual diff locks front and back so all 4 could turn together. Old style Defenders were able to manually engage the front axle but you could spin a wheel front and back, pickups like the Hilux added a limited slip or manual rear axle lock but for normal road use it’s rear drive only.

Not until the advent of electronic controlled braking was it possible the stop wheelspin on all 4 wheels and this is further refined by a variety of systems to divide power front to back and even side to side to improve handling as well a traction. So it could be said that the latest “all wheel drive” are the only true 4x4 systems, albeit with a hell of a lot of technology to achieve it.

Having said all that you need tyres to suit the conditions ribbed summer tyres don’t grip on snow, grass or mud so all season or winter tyres need to be fitted. The FPace is biased to road use it has limited suspension travel and less ground clearance than say a Disco but in 99% of the conditions you will not see any difference in ability.
FPace 3.0D Portfolio Loire Blue, light interior, tow bar. No issues a very good car
Gone F Pace Prestige 2 liter Auto, tow bar, reversing camera, 14 way seats, 18 inch all season tyres
XKR Convertible

Return to “Main Jaguar FPace chat”