SDD Vs Pathfinder

Faults and Technical chat for the Jaguar F-Pace.
Reggraham

SDD Vs Pathfinder

Post by Reggraham » Fri May 10, 2019 10:16 am

Well JLR made this big thing about the new Diagnostics over IP (DOIP) and all vehicles from 2017 will only be supported by Pathfinder and DOIP interfaces. The major fact behind this is the contract with Ford for Engines and Diagnostic support is coming to an end, so vehicles built from 2017 were not included in the SDD updates ( it doesn't recognise the VINs).
However this is not anything to do with hardware and software changes the major change happened when NGI (Next Generation Infotainment) was introduced and the interconnect bus for this changed from a fibre loop to ethernet. This happen around 2015 when the Space and Velar were launched and touch pro was released, all other vehicles 2012 to 2015 (facelift XF's etc) were GEN2.1 and for others the system was covered under NLI (God nows what that acronym means).
The vehicle CAN buses have not changed since 2015 so SDD communicates via the diagnostic CAN bus, but on Pathfinder systems it can directly interface the ethernet as the DOIP interface is in itself an ethernet device and talks to the PC via a USB to ethernet interface and then to the car through the diagnostic ethernet bus and then Via Gateways to the CAN Buses. Supposedly this allows for multi stream communications making diagnostics much quicker and module updates quicker and hopefully more reliable than before although this is dependent on the interface. In theory it should be possible to connect an ethernet cable direct to the vehicle but as the vehicle can't support wake-up on Lan there is an extra cable so that extra cable is part of the DoIP interface. Vehicles still need to support OBDII connections so older DTC readers etc can still work as well as older CAN/ISO adapters.
For people who tinker with JLR vehicles this has caused a major problem within SDD the Car Configuration file (CCF) could be edited directly, or via the SoftwareDownload.htm utility provided free for some markets such as the USA, Pathfinder has removed this and now changes to CCF are controlled through what is determined as online programming so only specific changes can be made such as accessory edition user preferences etc.
SoftwareDownload.htm will still interface with newer vehicles but as such their VIN will not be fully recognised ie inputing my M19 F-Pace Vin returns the options of New XF, XE and F-Pace as possible vehicles. I haven't tested it yet but will be in the next couple of days just to see what it reads from the CCF using the old SDD interface as my new DOIP one isn't working properly with SDD yet.
Most of this seems to be being driven by Bosch as they are now the biggest manufacturer of car diagnostic equipment.
F-Pace Portfolio MY19 25T Yulong While/Light Oyster 20" wheels, Park Pack, Drive Pack, Touch Pro nav pack
Range Rover Evoque Dynamic MY15 Firenze Red Black Pack, Park Pack

Reggraham

Re: SDD Vs Pathfinder

Post by Reggraham » Fri May 17, 2019 10:00 am

for those that like to know how things fit together like me finding he difference between a MY17 and MY18 car in the electronics as they now need different diagnostics software. The basic difference is Jaguar now us DoIP as mentioned above, I couldn't see that there were going to be major changes between a MY17 and MY18 that would cost JLR too much money across the ranges. However a fairly major change had to be made the contract with Ford had ended so use of the Ford Engines and Ford vehicle diagnostics had to go. There is only two minor changes with major impact, the Body Control Module was changed and the cabling on the diagnostic connector was changed. The BCM is the ethernet interface the diagnostics now connect to it then connects to all the other vehicle buses as before. The vehicles can still support OBDII so any of the off the shelf diagnostic readers still work but for everything else it has to go via the ethernet link.
F-Pace Portfolio MY19 25T Yulong While/Light Oyster 20" wheels, Park Pack, Drive Pack, Touch Pro nav pack
Range Rover Evoque Dynamic MY15 Firenze Red Black Pack, Park Pack

Return to “Faults & Technical Discussions”