25t petrol engine slight engine knock while accelerating

Faults and Technical chat for the Jaguar F-Pace.
Smitten

Re: 25t petrol engine slight engine knock while accelerating

Post by Smitten » Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:12 am

Jalees wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:50 am
Hi,
From 25t petrol which I have, well my every day journey is 22 miles home to work and then another 22 miles from work to back home, which includes peak hour traffic most of the times at M25 junction 26 to junction 23 which I think are worst junction on M25 always slow traffic and accidents. Anyway I am getting 23mpg , mostly I am in normal mode. If I drive like a granny then I can squeeze 28mpg(you need to coast). I drove to Liverpool and back once it was 30mpg , mostly I was at 70mph. So I guess it's 23mpg as a round off I don't use start stop maybe that would make some difference.
I had c200 petrol 184 bhp 2.0 litre and that with same driving style use to show 32mpg so yes there is a difference in mpg and I don't think it would get any better unless you keep it under or at 60mph on motorways and long journeys then expect to see something 30+ mpg. It's an AWD car anyway so cant expect extraordinary mpg on a small petrol engine.
But response is good for such a big car.
I am yet to fill the full tank with supreme only 98RON and see if that makes any difference. Will post the figures.

Thanks.

Regards.
Jalees.
These crawling stop start journeys are the worst for diesels and petrol and it is typically when my mpg is around 28mpg or less depending on how much crawling there is.
3.0d S, Santorini black, black pack, 22" black rims, LEDs, Priv, 350W, ICTP, Ebony interior, AdSR, space saver, config ambient, remote release, lumbar, winter pack, rear recline. Build date Friday 13/4/18 :D

BlackHawk

Post by BlackHawk » Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:53 am

My best mileage in my first F-Pace was 61.7mpg for a 90 mile trip, virtually flat roads in 24degrees, warm & sunny, stuck at 45-50mph but non-stop all the way. That was my MY17 2.0d R-Sport. Usual mpg on anything over 20miles distance was around 40 to 44mpg which I was delighted with given I didn't hold back on Sport/Dynamic and had done almost 30,000 miles in 2 years.
Switched to the 3.0d S a month ago and mileage varies tremendously with distance and outside temperature, but only 1000miles so far. I know you will think this is a joke but last weekend I did a run down the A9 and got 47mpg on the southbound trip which is literally downhill all the way from Dalwhinnie, but the same trip back on the same day was 34mpg. Traffic was much the same both directions.
3.0D S, 2019, Carpathian Grey, Black Pack, 22"Gloss/Satin Black wheels, Privacy Glass, Adaptive LEDs, Performance Seats Ebony Black, Suede Black Headlining, ICTPro Navigation Pack, Interactive Display, Meridian Surround Sound, Sliding PanoRoof.

frogmill0

Post by frogmill0 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:02 pm

I agree with all the above comments regarding the 3.0 DS which reflect my own experience. Yes, don't forget that the outside temperature has an effect on fuel consumption, whether the engine is petrol or diesel, particularly on shorter journeys in cold weather when the warming up period represents a larger proportion of the whole.
3.0d 'S' in Rhodium Silver. ICTPro, 825w Meridian, Cold Climate pack, 14 way memory seats, pan roof.

Smitten

Post by Smitten » Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:21 pm

I would agree with this. Sometimes I can't figure out what I did differently on the return journey to affect fuel consumption. Of course, it only takes a couple of rapid acceleration stints to really affect the average figure. So perhaps that is it. Or DPF regeneration. Sport mode doesn't seem to adversely affect fuel consumption either providing you don't cane it!! My fuel consumption got progressively better after 2000 miles and on longer runs I use sport or normal mode. Interestingly there is a slight fuel cost to engaging ADSR presumably as 4 wheel drive is engaged more often/greater % of time? I noticed this on a long motorway journey in heavy rain....or perhaps it was more drag on tyres? Clearly lots can influence mpg...
3.0d S, Santorini black, black pack, 22" black rims, LEDs, Priv, 350W, ICTP, Ebony interior, AdSR, space saver, config ambient, remote release, lumbar, winter pack, rear recline. Build date Friday 13/4/18 :D

jeffreywoodham

Post by jeffreywoodham » Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:42 pm

2018 25t Portfolio, BRG, Siena, Privacy, Configurable Dynamics, Infra Red Screen

June16

Post by June16 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:36 pm

Diesel owners would also have to factor in a DPF regeneration every 250 miles at least , so the sudden drop on one trip may be due to this .
In the old DS 180 I had you could actually tell it was regenerating , a little more gruff in the engine tone, a little less willing to accelerate hard , the stop start doesn’t kick in and if you had the mpg instantaneous on the read out it went spdown to 13 mpg for 15 to 20 minutes , then returned back up to 39 mpg on a flat road.

It injects diesel on the exhaust stroke to heat up the DPF to burn off the crud and soot collected at high temp.
MY18 Rsport 25t BRG , Ebony - Oyster, 18 way mem, Surround Cam, blis, ICTP, LED adaptive....etc

Bimjob

Post by Bimjob » Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:46 pm

My previous car was a Subaru (in fact last three)-all with bigger engines. The most recent was the Tribeca with a 3 litre petrol engine which was very powerful but the car was very heavy-still loved it. I think the MPG was about 18.6. Most of my mileage is shorter journeys and my annual mileage not even 10K. My current MPG is 26.7-so I'm happy! I'm afraid MPG is not that important to me but driving experience certainly is. I think I'll fill up with 98RON and see what happens. I'll be in touch.

Jalees

Post by Jalees » Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:27 pm

Hi guys,
It's been a while, so I am now using high octane from supermarket and honestly there is no significant difference in mpg maybe 1 or 2mpg extra and that's all. As for the knocking thing I reported is still there if I want to produce it but you have to be really hard on accelerator from standstill, which I doubt anyone or myself is going to do it on a daily basis.
I was going through the forum and found that second gear thing from standstill and yes even my petrol 25t starts at second gear so it's not just diesels. So maybe that's the cause of slight knocking at hard acceleration.

Thanks
MY18 F Pace, 25t R sport, Firenze red, and some options.
Ex owner of Mercedes C200 AMG Line premium plus. I keep comparing the options and get disappointed sometimes JAG is missing out from half priced car.

Smitten

Post by Smitten » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:58 pm

Just read your signature. My sister has a Kia Sportage which has a lot more features as standard than I have with all my extras at much less price! Very impressive! Would I swop? No. Would she swop? Yes. There you have it in a nutshell. The Jag is perceived to be more than the sum of its parts wheareas the Kia is perceived to be less...

Return to “Faults & Technical Discussions”