Newbee off to buy an F-Pace with a question???

New to the Jaguar F-Pace Forums? Introduce yourself here
Costy

Newbee off to buy an F-Pace with a question???

Post by Costy » Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:16 pm

Hi guys. I’ve been looking at an F-Pace for ages and there is now a couple within my budget and spec, however, I desperately want the LED Headlights but it’s like the majority of first time buyers didn’t order them.
My question is, can you retro fit them if I were to buy them from Jag and have them work in the same way?

Smitten

Re: Newbee off to buy an F-Pace with a question???

Post by Smitten » Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:52 pm

Not sure about that. Must say they are excellent so worth investigating.
3.0d S, Santorini black, black pack, 22" black rims, LEDs, Priv, 350W, ICTP, Ebony interior, AdSR, space saver, config ambient, remote release, lumbar, winter pack, rear recline. Build date Friday 13/4/18 :D

Jim

Post by Jim » Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:14 pm

To use the LED lights you need the headlight washers otherwise it is likely to fail it's next MOT. If it originally had the halogen lamps I don't think it has the washers, though if it has the xenon lights it will have.

To swap the lights over is probably a fair bit more than just swapping the lamp fittings - ballast, cooling, etc.

My F-Pace (see signature box) will soon be up for sale, good condition - one scuffed rim (minor) and the normal ICTP issues, though everything basically works.
Oct 2016 - 2.0 D, Portfolio, Auto, AWD, Ultimate Black, Light Oyster, 14-Way Front Seats with Passenger and Drivers memory pack, electrically adjustable steering wheel, 360⁰ parking aid, ICTP 380W, LED headlights, remote rear seat release.

June16

Post by June16 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:26 pm

Wouldn’t be without them.
You’d probably invalidate any warranty changing them and not an easy change as mentioned above.
MY18 Rsport 25t BRG , Ebony - Oyster, 18 way mem, Surround Cam, blis, ICTP, LED adaptive....etc

MiCoHi

Post by MiCoHi » Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:50 pm

LED headlights were a pre-requisite of my search, along with adaptive cruise control, ICTP and a glass roof of some sort.

Seems that LED lights are not really available yet on cars costing less than £40k. They are, as others have said, absolutely superb though. Not as sharp a cut-off as you'll get with xenons, because the F-Pace LEDs don't use projector lenses, just reflectors. However the quality of the light, the colour and the intensity is without equal and the adaptive functions, together with cornering function gives so much confidence in the dark and on country lanes.
2018MY Corris R-Sport. 22" Grey Turbine wheels, LED lights, adaptive cruise, fully loaded (bar blind spot assist, tow-bar and lumbar).

Costy

Post by Costy » Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:03 am

Thanks for your reply guys. I’ve also thought that there is probably a camera somewhere which pics up on coming vehicles to either dip the high beam or switch it on when there is nothing.

Smitten

Post by Smitten » Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:05 am

Suspect it is the same camera at top centre behind the windscreen that the Automatic Emergency Braking and speed sign recognition uses? Nothing else obvious on my car. As with everything these days there maybe some software that needs activating. A quick word with dealer will let you know if an upgrade is possible and at what cost.
3.0d S, Santorini black, black pack, 22" black rims, LEDs, Priv, 350W, ICTP, Ebony interior, AdSR, space saver, config ambient, remote release, lumbar, winter pack, rear recline. Build date Friday 13/4/18 :D

catwoman

Post by catwoman » Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:38 am

Welcome Costy . . . or perhaps that should be Costly! :shock:

You would definitely need to ask a Dealer Service Dept to be sure, but to be realistic, I doubt it would be possible to retro-fit LED headlamp units into a car that was factory fitted with either Halogen or Xenon units. Even if the hardware could be swapped out (unlikely), it would almost certainly require too much software reconfig as well to make it viable. The whole exercise would be prohibitively expensive. One of the main reasons why so many F-Paces out there do not have the LEDs spec'd is because they are a stupidly expensive option to add, even from a factory build. If you're absolutely desperate to have them then you'd be better waiting for a used vehicle with the correct spec to come along, but with all the available permutations you could find it to be a never-ending wait ;)
8-) . . been enjoying since July '16, 2.0d R-Sport, Ammonite + Black Pack, Jet/Red interior and a few useful options

Costy

Post by Costy » Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:23 am

Thanks @Catwoman. I feel like I have been waiting a while already. I’m off on a road trip to see one tomorrow and have emailed a local dealer to ask if the process could happen. Let’s see how it works out 🤞

Jim

Post by Jim » Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:52 pm

Costy wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:23 am
Thanks @Catwoman. I feel like I have been waiting a while already. I’m off on a road trip to see one tomorrow and have emailed a local dealer to ask if the process could happen. Let’s see how it works out 🤞
As mentioned above, I'm part exchanging mine in December for a Velar and am expecting to get £20k plus (previous valuation but specific amount will depend on miles added between then and handover). Happy to put you in touch with dealer if you are interested.
Oct 2016 - 2.0 D, Portfolio, Auto, AWD, Ultimate Black, Light Oyster, 14-Way Front Seats with Passenger and Drivers memory pack, electrically adjustable steering wheel, 360⁰ parking aid, ICTP 380W, LED headlights, remote rear seat release.

Return to “Introductions”