Suspension

New to the Jaguar F-Pace Forums? Introduce yourself here
RDB1

Re: Suspension

Post by RDB1 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:04 pm

RaVolVoR wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:44 am
Just watch the tyre wear... Too low and you can start wearing both edges faster than the middle.
Thanks - I am aware that wear can be an issue but its only a marginal decrease however does seem to make a difference. At mid morning the pressures creep up in the heat to above recommended still so not too concerned.
F-Pace 3.0D S - 2018, Corris grey, Pano Roof (fixed), Cold Climate Pack, ICTP 380W, Privacy glass, Spare wheel, Service Pack etc

RaVolVoR

Post by RaVolVoR » Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:11 am

Agree with the above but in my car one junction in particular turning left, the passengers are thrown violently left thdn right in the seats due to slight uneven tarmac. In my wife's EOS sport with hard lowered suspension you don't even notice this uneven surface! If you said a magic carpet ride would allow a full glass of water to stay full over all surfaces, I'd expect that glass in my car to be completely tipped over and empty at this junction.

I get that an SUV is never likely to be like an XF saloon but I also don't see why a £50k car is so terrible on tarmac.

I also agree that on motorways and fast country roads the car is a different animal. The adaptive dynamics though are valueless, in my car they do nothing useful for the ride. Neither improving handling or making ride stiffer. Steering feels tightened throttle seems more responsive but that's it.

It's the one item I wouldn't bother ordering again.
AWD Portfolio, Italian Racing Red , a car with more "bounce" than most inflatable castles!

Blucat

Post by Blucat » Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:46 pm

Re suspension, interesting to note that KW have confirmed compatibility of their spring lowering kit for all fpace variants - not just the adaptive damper type.
These progressive type springs could help with noise and ride as theyre not normally set up to be firm for the initial load, but become firmer is travel increases.
Would be definitely interesting to try out.
MY19 Rsport 25t Blue, 19Fans, Oyster & lime, Grey Ash, 18way mem, Surround Cam, Meridian, HtdWScreen, Pano, Privacy, 350Brakes, suede lining, skinny spare

Mbadger77

Post by Mbadger77 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:28 am

Blucat wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:46 pm
Re suspension, interesting to note that KW have confirmed compatibility of their spring lowering kit for all fpace variants - not just the adaptive damper type.
These progressive type springs could help with noise and ride as theyre not normally set up to be firm for the initial load, but become firmer is travel increases.
Just so you know I was probably the first in the UK (or close to first) to install the KW springs, literally a few weeks after they were announced.
The springs lower the car (and you can specify - I went with 20mm from memory) . Immediate impressions were and are a softer feel and more complaint spring and perhaps a touch more understeer. It also stopped the crabbing noise you get as it drops things a little.

Going over uneven surfaces you will still get the lurch left and right but I’ve found I now put into dynamic mode to tighten things up.

I never found the ride firm or crashy but did have big issues with the way it violently wobbled left and right. I came from an XF as well.
I’ve partly got used to it and partly mitigated it with the new springs.
I run 22 inch rims with adaptive.
3L Petrol, 22 black Helix (swapped with FIrst Edition 22 Helix), Ultimate Black, BP, Pano, Brogue, Jet, Priv, 825W, Control Pro, ASR, Climate Front Seats, Practicality Pack, Scuff Plate, Blind Spot

ChrisC

Post by ChrisC » Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:50 pm

I've now done about 800 miles in mine now. Initially I was slightly dubious about the adaptive dynamics and the impact (or otherwise) on the ride quality. But once I got the hang of where to use the various settings I now find it hugely useful. Especially when driving in and out of Edinburgh. I find the ride supple enough when it needs to be. When in dynamic mode it is a little stiffer but the body roles significantly less, I don't however find it uncomfortable. It is definitely something I have had to learn to how to use though. So overall I'm happy with the ride quality, happy with AD and think it significantly adds to drive-ability of the car. I haven't encountered the 'bounce' others have reported. My only bone of contention to note is the road noise from the tyres.
F-Pace 3.0D S

Blucat

Post by Blucat » Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:09 pm

Mbadger77 wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:28 am
Blucat wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:46 pm
Just so you know I was probably the first in the UK (or close to first) to install the KW springs, literally a few weeks after they were announced.
The springs lower the car (and you can specify - I went with 20mm from memory) . Immediate impressions were and are a softer feel and more complaint spring and perhaps a touch more understeer. It also stopped the crabbing noise you get as it drops things a little.

Going over uneven surfaces you will still get the lurch left and right but I’ve found I now put into dynamic mode to tighten things up.

I never found the ride firm or crashy but did have big issues with the way it violently wobbled left and right. I came from an XF as well.
I’ve partly got used to it and partly mitigated it with the new springs.
I run 22 inch rims with adaptive.
Thats interesting MB, I subsequently found your post from April 2017, so youve experienced the springs on for a good length of time.
A quick couple of questions if you dont mind commenting.
Have the springs settled beyond the 20mm? And have the spring characterics changed from initial fitment? And lastly, how have you found tyre wear? Is it even wear across the tyre Or had there been marked wear on the inside or outside for that matter?
I have Eibach progressive springs on another car, so I can guess the effect these would have, but worried that Fpace doesnt have camber adjustment and would lead to increased inner tyre tread wear.
Im possibly looking for a solution to aid entry to the fpace and dont want a running board or steps, but also think that progressive springs would help with lower CG and also soften the initial spring rate, as the non adaptive setup does seem to ride like its on tip toes... not a bad thing, but I think a little more progressive body roll would improve handling - maybe
MY19 Rsport 25t Blue, 19Fans, Oyster & lime, Grey Ash, 18way mem, Surround Cam, Meridian, HtdWScreen, Pano, Privacy, 350Brakes, suede lining, skinny spare

Mbadger77

Post by Mbadger77 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:32 pm

Hi Blu,

Well they said it may settle initially but the settings are 15-30mm from memory so it was set at that and looks the same now.
After initial period I wouldn’t say I’ve noticed any changes. It has reduced the Ackerman effect (crabbing noise in cold on lock) but not 100% and tyre wear looks even. I’ve got maybe 10K on my Pirelli’s so can photo and check. (I’ve got some intermediate Pirelli’s also I’m storage awaiting winter).

CG is lower so I think marginally helps the ride feel but I do feel there is a touch more understeer. Geometry etc is all unchanged and it sits on Adaptive Dynamics. If your near SW London be happy to show quickly so could compare. Would be interesting as I’ve almost forgotten what it was like and how much difference there is. From recollections I do remember a significant change.

I’ve also got a remap box .
3L Petrol, 22 black Helix (swapped with FIrst Edition 22 Helix), Ultimate Black, BP, Pano, Brogue, Jet, Priv, 825W, Control Pro, ASR, Climate Front Seats, Practicality Pack, Scuff Plate, Blind Spot

Blucat

Post by Blucat » Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:53 pm

Mbadger77 wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:32 pm
Hi Blu,

Well they said it may settle initially but the settings are 15-30mm from memory so it was set at that and looks the same now.
After initial period I wouldn’t say I’ve noticed any changes. It has reduced the Ackerman effect (crabbing noise in cold on lock) but not 100% and tyre wear looks even. I’ve got maybe 10K on my Pirelli’s so can photo and check. (I’ve got some intermediate Pirelli’s also I’m storage awaiting winter).

CG is lower so I think marginally helps the ride feel but I do feel there is a touch more understeer. Geometry etc is all unchanged and it sits on Adaptive Dynamics. If your near SW London be happy to show quickly so could compare. Would be interesting as I’ve almost forgotten what it was like and how much difference there is. From recollections I do remember a significant change.

I’ve also got a remap box .
Unfortunately Im north of the border and mine is non adaptive plain damper 25t spec, but I would be interested to see if your tyre wear is even accross the tread - I guess 20mm is a modest drop so shouldnt really be any ill effects from minimal camber angle change.

Btw. Did you get a wheel alignment done post changes (for camber/toe settings), do you have the spec sheet printout you could share/post?

Mbadger77

Post by Mbadger77 » Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:42 pm

Yes didn’t do anything. Tyres look even. Right front outside is maybe marginally lower but not overly obvious, front left looks perfectly even

Wonder if anyone else was brave enough to change and has any comments ?

Return to “Introductions”