Suspension

New to the Jaguar F-Pace Forums? Introduce yourself here
ChrisL

Suspension

Post by ChrisL » Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:11 pm

I have a 2016 F Pace AWD 2 litre diesel with Pirelli P Zero tyres . After 5 years owning an XF, I find the ride too hard and sometime uncomfortable.
Is there any way of softening the ride?
ChrisL

RaVolVoR

Re: Suspension

Post by RaVolVoR » Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:56 pm

I have same age car with adaptive dynamics and the ride is bouncy. I too had an XF previously and the answer is probably partly a change from a saloon to a suv and partly the 19in wheels. The high tyre wall has too much give, essentially exaggerating the road bumps into the car making it bounce and feel too hard. In reality the handling is good but around town it churns your stomach a bit. It is a tad better if you drop pressures by a few psi but beware of uneven tyre wear.
AWD Portfolio, Italian Racing Red , a car with more "bounce" than most inflatable castles!

Smitten

Post by Smitten » Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:12 pm

ChrisL wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:11 pm
I have a 2016 F Pace AWD 2 litre diesel with Pirelli P Zero tyres . After 5 years owning an XF, I find the ride too hard and sometime uncomfortable.
ChrisL
Bigger wheels and less sidewall height will reduce the SUV bounce a lot but have the effect of making the ride firmer and less forgiving over a rough surface.
3.0d S, Santorini black, black pack, 22" black rims, LEDs, Priv, 350W, ICTP, Ebony interior, AdSR, space saver, config ambient, remote release, lumbar, winter pack, rear recline. Build date Friday 13/4/18 :D

Jagfpacejk

Post by Jagfpacejk » Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:16 pm

ChrisL wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:11 pm
ChrisL
Sorry to hear of your issues, the Fpace will feel different to the XF, two totally different cars.

Did you not feel the same issues on your test drive?
Ex Owner of a Pre Launch 1st Edition Supercharged V6 and a Ex Owner of 1st Edition Diesel V6

June16

Post by June16 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:42 pm

I have the 19” the Pirelli p zero are a hard tyre, you can get others with softer sidewalks but they tend to wear quicker too , the Pirelli’s are good for wear.

I tried both with adaptive and without and found with adaptive was a bit to bouncy a drive for me so stuck with the non ADS.

The 19s are a firmish drive but I have gotten used to them pretty quickly tbh, the 20 was even harsher . Bigger the wheels, the less the sidewall, the firmer the drive.
MY18 Rsport 25t BRG , Ebony - Oyster, 18 way mem, Surround Cam, blis, ICTP, LED adaptive....etc

JOCK55

Post by JOCK55 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:09 pm

Have you tried Winter tyres? They are made from a softer compound than "Summer" tyres. The following are all approved for the F-Pace, according to the latest Handbook:-

255/55 R19 111V Continental. Winter Contact TS 850 P SUV. Alpine.
255/55 R19 111V Pirelli. Scorpion Winter. Alpine.
255/55 R19 111V Michelin. Latitude Alpin 2. Alpine.

Jock
MY19 R-SPORT, Caesium Blue, Ingenium i4 300PS Turbo Petrol, AWD with all the bells and whistles.

Blucat

Post by Blucat » Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:18 pm

Just a thought, but before you switch tyres, you can always adjust the ride a little with a play of the tyre pressures it might just be that theyve inflated beyond standard
MY19 Rsport 25t Blue, 19Fans, Oyster & lime, Grey Ash, 18way mem, Surround Cam, Meridian, HtdWScreen, Pano, Privacy, 350Brakes, suede lining, skinny spare

RDB1

Post by RDB1 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:50 am

Interesting timing. My passengers have been complaining about the ride quality of my FPace and say that they feel they are being thrown all over the place. I had two XF's previously and the ride I thought was great. I did expect a difference being SUV style and I have 20" Continentals currently with Adapative Dynamics. To be honest my local roads are bad and no car will deliver the perfect ride in my area however it came to a point that I felt it that poor in the F- Pace, that selling it was going to be the only solution. A loan XJ recently showed me how smooth a car can be but that's a different machine.

Anyway the suggested tyre pressure for my car is 2.3bar, I noticed in the heat it go as high as 2.6 or 7 bar at times, so I reduced this pressure down and have been surprised on how much better quality the drive is now, so I definitely suggest playing around with this and see if it makes a positive difference. It has for me and my passengers and there are no thoughts on selling now.
F-Pace 3.0D S - 2018, Corris grey, Pano Roof (fixed), Cold Climate Pack, ICTP 380W, Privacy glass, Spare wheel, Service Pack etc

RaVolVoR

Post by RaVolVoR » Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:44 am

Just watch the tyre wear... Too low and you can start wearing both edges faster than the middle.
AWD Portfolio, Italian Racing Red , a car with more "bounce" than most inflatable castles!

Matteus F-Pace

Post by Matteus F-Pace » Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:48 am

Funny how different people's views are. Who knows if it's a difference in the car, or just perceptions, but every time I drive my car, I marvel at how well Jag have found the balance between a good handling suspension and a comfy ride. I have always preferred a suspension on the firm side, but I have never found it harsh or 'crashy' , and I have the 22" wheels in summer. I have 20" winter wheels and that does soften the ride a touch, but not hugely. I would go as far as to say that the suspension is one of my favourite parts of my F-Pace. My brother has an SQ5, and he marvels at how much better the F-Pace is for ride and handling. Ah well, funny old world.
Last edited by Matteus F-Pace on Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3.0L SC - Black - Black Pack - Black 22" wheels (20" in winter..) - ICTP - heated steering wheel - memory seat pack for 18 way sports seats - AdSR - 360 Parking Aid - LED headlights - privacy glass

Return to “Introductions”