Turbo issues

Faults and Technical chat for the Jaguar F-Pace.
June16

Re: Turbo issues

Post by June16 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:38 pm

There are two issues that cause whine /whistle , the turbo or the balance shafts.

Looking at the topix document a while ago dealers are struggling to identify which is causing the noise as both vary with rpm.
So this might explain turbo changing followed by new engine ( balance shaft issue) .
JLR ask for noise files now before authorising balance shaft changes / turbo repairs as they sound is pretty close.
MY18 Rsport 25t BRG , Ebony - Oyster, 18 way mem, Surround Cam, blis, ICTP, LED adaptive....etc

Saski

Post by Saski » Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:00 pm

The turbo whistle on the first one got increasingly noisy and although it did not fail, the car seemed much better (quieter anyway) with the replacement. Having recognised the noise with the 2nd turbo, I got it replaced sooner and the car has been fine since - I’m still listening out for it though but have greater confidence with this replacement.

I would suggest you take it to the dealership and let them take a look (or listen); you’ll not miss the noise once it’s fixed!
June 2016: Polaris R-Sport AWD & black where it's needed 8-). You have to love them to own one.........

Blucat

Post by Blucat » Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:17 pm

BTW, this whistling noise that you speak of, do you have a recording available? I've only been in a few cars with turbos and they all whine and whoosh so I think that is a characteristic of the engine, but would be good to know what its NOT supposed to sound like.
MY19 Rsport 25t Blue, 19Fans, Oyster & lime, Grey Ash, 18way mem, Surround Cam, Meridian, HtdWScreen, Pano, Privacy, 350Brakes, suede lining, skinny spare

FCB

Post by FCB » Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:54 pm

just had my second turbo faillure in 2 years…
The dealer just repaired an oil leak and replaced the engine mounts
It just keeps on going...

Ansara

Post by Ansara » Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:33 am

I thought i would re visit this forum and update you all as once again i have had another Turbo failure ,
I wrote the original post and can confirm it to be true.
At one of the earlier incidents 2 turbos were changed within days at the dealership as when on the test drive the one they just installed failed!
Proof i can give and videos of whistling Turbos? No problem.

kustbewoners

Post by kustbewoners » Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:31 pm

2018 2.0D with 105000 km, yesterday message on dash "reduced power ' and whistling sound, today went to dealer : Turbo needs to be replaced... First real issue with the Jag, (except problems with ICTP of course 😊)
2018 F-Pace 2.0D Pure Manual
Narvik Black
Custom aftermarket dark grey leather interior
Premium Business package with ICTP
Dual view
Electric, heated seats
Privacy Glass
Tow Pkg

Biggerquest

Post by Biggerquest » Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:58 pm

My turbo blew today whilst driving on the motorway! Made a loud bang with lots of smoke coming out the back, then reduced power I couldn’t believe it. To make things worse it took 3.5 hours to be recovered from the motorway, To say I’m unhappy is an understatement.

Switched from BMW to JLR in 2017, really wish I hadn’t, the car has been in the workshop more times in the past two years than I have had routine services with BMW’s in the past 7 years :cry:
2.0 R Sport Auto, Ammo, BLK Pack, Taurus Oyster Seats, 20" BLK Venoms, ICTP 380W, Sliding Pano, 10 Way Seats, ADSR, Privacy Glass, Bld Spot, Rev Cam, Cup Holder Cover

Smitten

Post by Smitten » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:05 pm

Weird how some cars have issues..I haven't had any. Perfect car.
3.0d S, Santorini black, black pack, 22" black rims, LEDs, Priv, 350W, ICTP, Ebony interior, AdSR, space saver, config ambient, remote release, lumbar, winter pack, rear recline. Build date Friday 13/4/18 :D

Return to “Faults & Technical Discussions”