Imogene Pass in My F-Pace

New to the Jaguar F-Pace Forums? Introduce yourself here
BigBNM

Imogene Pass in My F-Pace

Post by BigBNM » Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:35 am

Hi Everyone,

I just signed up but wanted to tell the story of my adventure last weekend in my F-Pace. We had decided, after driving through Ouray, Colorado a couple months ago, to come back for a weekend in July. Ouray is a mountain town located in Southwestern Colorado. Ouray's climate, natural alpine environment, and scenery frequently has it referred to the "Switzerland of America".
The mountains and canyons surrounding Ouray are filled with some of the West’s most unforgettable scenery. Heritage activities abound along the back roads and Scenic Byways: you can see vistas where old Hollywood westerns were filmed and explore high country ghost towns that were once booming mining cities.

According to the Ouray website: In our scenic mountains, four-wheel-drive adventures are the height of Ouray’s driving experiences; we are, after all, known as “The Jeeping Capital of the World.” Ouray’s Jeep roads, carved from historic wagon trails, traverse a variety of terrain from extreme high mountain passes and rugged winding roads to wide, flower-filled meadows and pastoral valleys.

Ouray is proud of its long 4x4 history and designation as the “Jeeping Capital of the World.” Since the 1940’s, 4x4 vehicles and Jeep tours have been crisscrossing the San Juan Mountains as adventurers explore the rugged mining trails, ghost towns, and spectacular scenery. Waterfalls, wildflowers, stunning vistas and historic mining structures await those who venture into the mountains. It’s also home of famous off-road trails that have been awarded Jeep’s Badge of Honor status.

According to the Ouray website, “Imogene Pass is one of the more difficult drives through the San Juan Mountains, but the steep and loose slopes are worth it for the 13,000 foot pass and sweeping views. Here, the road turns left over Canyon Creek, climbing along cliffs and looking down over Camp Bird Mine. The ascent to Imogene Basin is rough and steep but boasts spectacular wildflower displays in the mid-summer months. The descent into the Tomboy Mine area and Telluride is more gradual. If you’re looking for a full day adventure, consider coming back to the east side of the mountains via Ophir Pass, for a moderate, but equally beautiful drive.” This sounded like our kind of fun.

That said, last Saturday, we decided to attempt Imogene Pass in my F-Pace. My though process was that although the F-Pace isn’t truly an “off-road” vehicle, it does have good ground clearance at 8.3” and had Land Rover DNA. I did a significant amount of off-roading with my parents when I was younger and felt I could navigate the obstacles I knew we would face. From what we had read, Imogene was regarded as a “moderate” trail and I felt like some of the more difficult trails would be more than my kitty could handle. I also knew that Imogene was well-travelled and if we got into trouble, at least there would be other people who were well equipped with winches and towing to help us and we wouldn’t be stranded along the trail. Also, we wanted to see Telluride and Imogene is the shortest and most spectacular was to get there. And, lastly, I guess I am a person who likes a challenge.

So, on Saturday, July 7th, around 10AM, we pulled off Highway 550 onto County Road 361 and began the 17.5 mile trail from Ouray to Telluride. I had brought my son, Logan and my friend, Adrienne along for the ride. While neither of them were planning to drive, there were both down for the adventure. Logan plays football at Western State Colorado University and no one would think otherwise. He’s only 18 but he’s 6’6” and nearly 300 lbs. He had been up in Gunnison (about 100 miles from Ouray) for most of the summer doing summer workouts for football and working full time in a restaurant. Adrienne is one of my best friends and comes from a “Land Rover” family and has experience off-roading.

According to All-Trails, “Imogene Pass is the second highest drivable pass in Colorado. The drive is one of the most thrilling in the state. At Savage Basin, you'll pass through Tomboy Townsite, once one of most active mining towns in Colorado. A great deal of mining debris is still scattered about. Most is on private property and is dangerous to explore. The pass is blocked by snow until it is plowed, usually in early July. Unlicensed vehicles are not permitted on lower half of south side and must start trail from Camp Bird Road, where plenty of parking is available. High Point 13,114 ft.”

Since it was a July, we knew the pass was clear and the weather that day was perfect. We drove along the CR-361 feeling confident. The dirt road was easy for the F-Pace and we were feeling confident. However, once we turned into the Imogene trail, things got pretty hairy. We quickly realized that the trail was more than “moderate”and that we were on a real “Jeep only” trail. But, surprisingly, the F-Pace performance was amazing and we were able to make it up all the way to the the pass. By the time we made it to the top, we had crossed streams, climbed over huge boulders, driven through mud and climbed a total of 4,734 vertical feet. I kept it Ice-Snow mode and engaged the Low Traction Control for most of the difficult parts. People were amazed that I had been able to make it in a Jaguar. We got lots of nice comments from the Jeepers and thoroughly enjoyed the experience.

The only issue we had was that we hit a sharp rock and punctured my front right tire on the way back. We had to stop and change the tire to the spare ina rather precarious spot. But, we able to get it changed and proceeded the rest of the trail down into Telluride. We had a great feeling of accomplishment on the other side and we can say that we have the distinction of being the only F-Pace drivers to ever traverse Imogene Pass! It was a fantastic experience that we will always remember. I’ve included some pictures.

- Brian

1B52E315-49CD-44A9-8EE6-2CB2671C8582.jpeg

DB2E6266-3FFF-47E0-9C61-C97890327196.jpeg

A5B214D2-65A2-4C66-9A22-4DA6E6C647A8.jpeg

42CD1AAF-6CA9-4FAD-8738-8BD3A5EDBE61.jpeg

398AF911-8DF4-4DCA-A74F-1B8E4D313243.jpeg

25BF8538-03B5-45D1-B66E-14B559580CA7.jpeg

A2F01048-DF24-4689-8041-6A722B1A5CD2.jpeg

corriescar66

Re: Imogene Pass in My F-Pace

Post by corriescar66 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:54 am

Wow, that looks a very impressive feat!

I've always wondered how good the F Pace would actually be as a 4x4, I'm glad it was you who gave it a go & not me!

I guess I must ask, were they standard road tyres? Also, what engine do you have?

Spectacular photos!

Gato Grande

Post by Gato Grande » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:59 am

BigBNM

Impressed, pictures are excellent, submit them for picture of the month for July......

Respect for the trip as well, well done
Auto, AWD, Portfolio, extra bits, inc sliding roof, Ammo grey, now 2 1/2 years old, they’re becoming ‘popular’ and, still looks lush.......👍😘

Was great as a wedding car

catwoman

Post by catwoman » Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:01 am

Nice story and pictures Brian, thanks for posting and welcome to the forum. Yes, interested in whether you were running on your original supplied road tyres, if so, what are they? Your FP really looks like the King of the Hills there! You should definitely select one of your best shots and enter it into our July POTM contest, you never know, you might just bag yourself an Amazon eGift Voucher :D
8-) . . been enjoying since July '16, 2.0d R-Sport, Ammonite + Black Pack, Jet/Red interior and a few useful options

Steve C

Post by Steve C » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:47 am

Thanks for taking the time to post the story and pics Brian - rather you than me for an outing like that !
No F-Pace yet. Looking...

June16

Post by June16 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:40 am

Great write up .!

It’s good to see the FPace being tested thoroughly off road , it must have been an amazing journey. Thank you for sharing it with us , much appreciated.
MY18 Rsport 25t BRG , Ebony - Oyster, 18 way mem, Surround Cam, blis, ICTP, LED adaptive....etc

RaVolVoR

Post by RaVolVoR » Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:31 pm

A true mountain cat.... very envious of the opportunities you have to drive off road. There was a tv show here that finished with a short view of an Fpace off road with one wheel 18inch in the air... since then I've been itching to try it out. You've done it and shown the way... fantastic!
AWD Portfolio, Italian Racing Red , a car with more "bounce" than most inflatable castles!

BigBNM

Post by BigBNM » Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:54 pm

Thanks everyone!
My FP is the2017 R-Sport 35t running the supercharged 3.0 gas V6. I was running on the stock 20” Goodyear’s. I definitely had wheels in the often. As a matter of fact, I have a video of the kitty climbing over a big rock and the right rear is in the air. Is love to post here but think I can only post pics.
B

June16

Post by June16 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:59 pm

I’d love to see the video !
I think you have to share it on something like Vimeo, or You tube to do that and can then link it .

Unless of course somebody knows a better way?
MY18 Rsport 25t BRG , Ebony - Oyster, 18 way mem, Surround Cam, blis, ICTP, LED adaptive....etc

Catmad

Post by Catmad » Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:52 am

Wow Brian thanks for the post - what an mazing journey and so pleased that the FPace performed for you.
Makes me proud to own one! (looking forward to the vid)
2.0D Prestige 180 AWD Auto Italian Racing Red

Return to “Introductions”