How do you clean the brake calipers?

Detailing, Cleaning and Maintaining your F-Pace.
Arianne

How do you clean the brake calipers?

Post by Arianne » Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:18 pm

What a beautiful weekend fellow F-Pace owners....

Was up and out for 7am this morning to give the F-Pace and Audi TT a wash. They look great in the sunshine. Spring has sprung!

However, how do you clean the brake calipers? I have the double helix wheels so I can get my mitt into the rear of the alloys but can't get the whole caliper. Obviously, I could jump in the car and roll it forward a few centimetres or take the wheels off (really?). Does anyone have any suggestions other than powerwash (which isn't really sufficient to restore them to their shiny red glory).

Regards

Arianne
Rejected but still affectionately remembered: F-Pace 3.0d V6 S, IRR, 18 way jet/red sports seats + full memory, privacy glass, 22" silver/black double helix, cold climate pack!

Hydrajaws

Re: How do you clean the brake calipers?

Post by Hydrajaws » Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:24 pm

I use a non acid wheel cleaner and spray this on and ordinary hose pipe pressure is enough to restore the shine.
Better still if you have the pressure washer out but my at least weekly clean restores the red calipers.
2 Rejected F Paces behind me and now happily driving a 2018. 2.0 D 240 AWD XF Sportbrake in caesium blue.
2006 XK 4.2 Convertible. 1965 Daimler 2.5 V8 .

mik

Post by mik » Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:21 pm

I use a microfibre cloth for wheels & callipers. Find this better for getting into awkward spaces, and it can be pulled behind the spokes - across the surface of a calliper for example
2017 F-Pace 3.0D S for her
2014 Lotus Evora S SportsRacer for him

JLRnumber5

Post by JLRnumber5 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:38 pm

You clean the calipers!?!

I don't remember that being in your idiots guide. I am such an amateur. :shock:
Two 3.0D F-pace S gone but not forgotten.

Birthwaite

Post by Birthwaite » Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:08 pm

Same here - I use a non acid wheel cleaner - Bilt hamber auto wheel- spray it on the wheel including the calliper - wait five minutes- and wash off with a hose pipe. Works great.
Very happy F-Pace user ..... 3l S diesel. Ammonite - 22" wheels - mood lighting - 14 way memory seats - pano roof - LED headlights - electric tow bar - ICTP - boot release - etc.

Onionrage

Post by Onionrage » Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:24 pm

Birthwaite wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:08 pm
Same here - I use a non acid wheel cleaner - Bilt hamber auto wheel- spray it on the wheel including the calliper - wait five minutes- and wash off with a hose pipe. Works great.
Agreed here - something like Gtechnic W6 Iron and Fallout remover works very well also. And if your are feeling extravagant search online for wheel woolies - makes cleaning alloys so much easier and safer!!
RSport 2.0 Manual AWD, Polaris White, Red Taurus, Black Pack & Black Gloss Alloys, Jet Headlining, 4-way electric lumbar, Rear Camera, Heated Windscreen/Washer jets, Space saver, Rear seat remote release, splash guards and Satin Grey Ebony Veneers

Arianne

Post by Arianne » Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:53 am

Thank you folks,

I have invested in some Polished Bliss luxury wheel woolies, R222 wheel cleaner (it's not strong stuff but I am worried about the plastic inserts on my wheels), some Poorboys wheel sealant and Poorboys Bold & Bright gel. £95, cough :|

I have two weeks leave in April and plan to spend some of it on our two cars before heading off to Skye for a break with the family.

Best wishes,

Arianne
Rejected but still affectionately remembered: F-Pace 3.0d V6 S, IRR, 18 way jet/red sports seats + full memory, privacy glass, 22" silver/black double helix, cold climate pack!

Jags cat

Post by Jags cat » Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:18 am

Agreed Mr A, I have always used wonder wheels on my alloys up to now, but have not used anything on my helix yet apart from auto gleam shampoo because of those plastic inserts.

Enjoy your trip to Scotland you lucky *ugger..... raise a wee dram or two and say hello from Jags Cat, hopefully get some time there later in the year!!
Arrived,JA65 CAT plate, 2 ltr R-sport,ammonite grey, black pack, pano roof, 22" silver helix alloys, meridian upgrade, black/red interior, mood lighting, full size spare,rear camera, serv pack,H/screen, and anything else I can get pass the wife!

Arianne

Post by Arianne » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:14 am

Jags cat wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:18 am
Agreed Mr A, I have always used wonder wheels on my alloys up to now, but have not used anything on my helix yet apart from auto gleam shampoo because of those plastic inserts.

Enjoy your trip to Scotland you lucky *ugger..... raise a wee dram or two and say hello from Jags Cat, hopefully get some time there later in the year!!
Thanks, Skye is wonderful if the weather is fine. It feels a million miles away from normal day to day life.

By the time I finished my order to Polished Bliss the total bill had increased from £95 to £185, oops!

Regards,

Arianne

nigelmwilliams7

Post by nigelmwilliams7 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:37 pm

If they are bad try Valet Pro Dragon's Breath, and leave for 5 mins, agitate and then wash off.
Valet Pro's Bilberry is good for regular cleans.

The best way to keep alloys (and even brake calipers) clean in the long term is Gtechniq C5 Wheel Armour.

As a sidenote and testimony to this product, I had to have an alloy on my previous car refurbed and even after 4 years they rung to ask what I had treated them with as they were having issues getting paint to bond ;-)
Nigel
03/2017 Ultimate Black 2.0d R Sport, Pano, 20"Blades, Black Pack

Return to “Detailing & Car Care”