Wobbly rear end (lateral suspension issue)

Faults and Technical chat for the Jaguar F-Pace.
corriescar66

Re: Wobbly rear end (lateral suspension issue)

Post by corriescar66 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:09 am

Mig wrote:Got my car back last Wednesday after 7.5 weeks at the dealership.
Suspension is better but it's still wobbly and hard in some cases.
Would love to try another F-Pace with Adaptive Dynamics without this issue to get it fixed...
After being in the dealer for 3 days, it came back with mine fixed.. I don't know what was done there was an update applied, but allegedly for only general ICTP screen freeze issues - unless they are covertly releasing possible patches to try out software before general release.

It seems slightly 'wobbly' in Normal mode as I believe it's permanently been stuck in dynamic mode since new (November) and having got used to it's manners, it is very noticeable how compliant the ride now is at low speeds - no violent thumps over speed bumps and no wobble if you cross one on a diagonal. Eco seems a better compromise. Is this how it is supposed to work? At the moment I don't really care as it may stop me needing to see a chiropractor!

Anyway, there obviously has been an issue with this system, despite the denials, but it's a relief to find there is a solution.

When/if my dealer returns calls/emails I will try and find out the code for the update applied.
Nov 2016: 3.0 S V6 Supercharged Petrol/Italiana da Corsa Rossa / Jet-Taurus/ 22" Helix etc....

JLRnumber5

Post by JLRnumber5 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:26 am

Agreed. I am now almost enjoying urban driving. It can still get thrown off by a series of bumps, so there's always some anticipation and being quite precise over urban obstacles and very bad road surfaces, but I can live with that.

Now that it doesn't bottom out over speed humps, or throw the rear end in the air (the dog is much happier!) I'm less apprehensive and chucking it about a little more. Not in the same way I could with the Evoque, but vastly improved over the way the previous one handled.

Passengers have even commented on how comfortable it is, which they never did before.
Two 3.0D F-pace S gone but not forgotten.

corriescar66

Post by corriescar66 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:45 am

JLRnumber5 wrote:Agreed. I am now almost enjoying urban driving. It can still get thrown off by a series of bumps, so there's always some anticipation and being quite precise over urban obstacles and very bad road surfaces, but I can live with that.

Now that it doesn't bottom out over speed humps, or throw the rear end in the air (the dog is much happier!) I'm less apprehensive and chucking it about a little more. Not in the same way I could with the Evoque, but vastly improved over the way the previous one handled.

Passengers have even commented on how comfortable it is, which they never did before.
And they even compliment you on your choice of footwear! :o
Nov 2016: 3.0 S V6 Supercharged Petrol/Italiana da Corsa Rossa / Jet-Taurus/ 22" Helix etc....

JLRnumber5

Post by JLRnumber5 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:35 am

Today I am wearing a very natty set of green trainers! They would match Yorkie's car beautifully.

I had a bit of a think last night. My new car rides exactly like the original demonstrator that I took out for two extended tests. So I'm not so sure that Jaguar has done anything consciously to modify the suspension behaviour at all. I think I might simply have had a fault with the adaptive ride on the old car. Yours could be an intermittent fault Corrie's Dad?

corriescar66

Post by corriescar66 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:48 am

JLRnumber5 wrote:Today I am wearing a very natty set of green trainers! They would match Yorkie's car beautifully.

I had a bit of a think last night. My new car rides exactly like the original demonstrator that I took out for two extended tests. So I'm not so sure that Jaguar has done anything consciously to modify the suspension behaviour at all. I think I might simply have had a fault with the adaptive ride on the old car. Yours could be an intermittent fault Corrie's Dad?
How many more colours do you have lurking at the bottom of the wardrobe?!

I agree, mine drives how I expected after the test drives, but it wasn't intermittent... It has never worked from new. Changing modes made no difference.

I don't believe it is a coincidence it just started working on it's own after being at the dealer.... unless there were little chocks in the springs that they pulled out!

It seems to be stiffer in eco mode... Is that correct? I've tried to find out via the manual & online info but no joy - only configurable between Dynamic and Normal settings mentioned

JLRnumber5

Post by JLRnumber5 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:27 am

I was told there's no change to the suspension between eco and normal.

I can imagine if there's a fault that it was triggered by something they changed/updated.

corriescar66

Post by corriescar66 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:41 am

JLRnumber5 wrote:I was told there's no change to the suspension between eco and normal.

I can imagine if there's a fault that it was triggered by something they changed/updated.
It has to be something to do with the update, though he denied that a suspension fault would be to do with ICTP - again something I find hard to believe.

It is strange that mine seems stiffer in eco than normal. It wasn't just me but the passengers that could feel the difference too.

I'm glad it works, but it's that sickening feeling when you say somethings wrong and they say, ' nope we've checked it out and it's all fine'. Reminds me of the nightmare Range Rover that I ultimately had to reject.

It's probably another reason not to be first with a new model..... the dealers don't have a clue either, but few ever admit it...

Paddy2303

Post by Paddy2303 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:59 pm

Hi all, Can you tell me how you got this resolved. My f pace has a dangerous wobble at speed more noticeable over 70 mph but also does it at lower speeds. Model F pace 2.0 Prestige 17 Plate. Dealers had it 3 x but say no fault. Now got to point where I am not confident to drive on motorway as it is dangerous but they are saying they wont test it over 70 mph. I take this vehicle abroad so now at stalemate with them. (They also said it was due to roof rails !!!!)

devsan

Post by devsan » Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:45 pm

i had something similar going round a long bend around 65 ish and the car felt like it snatched to the right i had to correct it to pull it back over the white line.
spoke with our local dealer but they always say nothing wrong

neilox1

Post by neilox1 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:09 pm

Not sure if I have the same issue or not, I don't have adaptive dymanics, but the rear of my car does appear and feels very loose going over uneven roads, I get a lot of squeaks and if you sit in the rear seats you can see the tailgate moving in its opening, it is like there isn't enough structural integrity in the rear to prevent the movement. The dealers did try to adjust the tailgate to shut "tighter" but this had no effect.
R-Sport 2.0D, corris grey, opening pan roof, ICTP, 18 way seats, LED headlights, folding mirrors

Return to “Faults & Technical Discussions”