Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

New to jaguar

16K views 35 replies 7 participants last post by  Nowaytk 
#1 ·
Hi all,
just thought I'd introduce myself, got a D300 Velar at the moment which is a very nice place to be, but as I can see myself going the hybrid / electric route in the near future I was thinking of scratching an itch first, which is why after looking at various possibilities I've decided on the f pace svr, I did think about going the Macan route but wanted something with that V8 burble, wanted a suv type of vehicle as it suits my needs perfectly and as I'm not a fan of the merc interior, I opted for the f pace. (Velar sva too expensive) especially after the test drive, wow, performance to go with an amazing soundtrack
In the fortunate position of having no finance on the velar so managed to put a sizeable deposit down which keeps the monthly's down, and as the dealer has managed to find one nearly the right spec, we've done the deal with a handover on Saturday, can't wait.
If anyone has any advice about the V8 like how many miles to run it in etc (If you run it in that is ?) any advice will be much appreciated

Tk

#2 ·
@Nowayt
Welcome to this forum ! Please add your location [ "world" is a bit to global, but a county would be near enough ].
Also in in your profile you can enter a signature, please enter the details of your car, like 'red SVR' , so even in
later posts other members do not have to ask this.

I am not in the happy position to own an SVR, since that would cost me 100k extra in taxes only...
For my 25t [ now 1200km..] the running in is quite simple :

- do not make short trips, at least 30 minutes and 30km ;
- do not accelerate fast, or go above 3000rpm AT ALL ;
- try to vary speed and rpm so avoid cruise control, or move it up/down every five minutes;
- do this for the first 5000km...

After that, let the engine heat up before you use the power. This way the engine lives a lot longer.

Enjoy the car, I am envious.. .. :oops:

#3 ·
Thanks for the tips Dan, I do tend to be sympathetic with engines, always wait until the marker has reached the middle, temp wise, before giving it some beans, although didn't help much on the RR sport I had, sdv6 snapped crank after about 22k, didn't realise the tip re short trips ? (I assume while running in ?).
Hopefully location / signature has added ? (Can't see if it has on the phone ?)

#4 ·
@Nowaytk.

Your location and signature show on my desktop, thanks !

Sadly, the temperature indicator is no more than just that. It gives a temperature in the cooling system : the engine and oil are then still far from operating temperature. The bigger the engine, the more modern the engine, the longer it takes. Although our 'shopping trolley' , a BMW Tourer heats up in two kilometers and heats the interior.

I am sorry to hear about your TdV6. I had a D3 TdV6 for almost ten years. This was our only car in the beginning [ we bought it 4yrs old]. Since we had to take the kids to school [ 2km ], the engine didn't heat up. So I had a 'Defa' electrical heater installed. This heated the cooling liquid. There are models that use a bolt opening in the engine and heats the oil, more efficient. In winter I left this on 24/7 at a cost of € 1,20 per day, car always warm from start, never had to scrape ice from the windows.. :mrgreen:

Short trips and cold starts have been contributing to the death of your engine. These had a design flaw. As they sold far more then they ever estimated, they forgot to replace the moulds in time. So the 'nodge' on the cast block where the 'hole' in the semi circle section of the crank bearings slotted in, faded in the last thousands of engines. Then there was a problem with the thickness of these bearings. Car manufacturers use contractors to supply parts. So did Ford [ the engine originated from Ford ]. So there were tolerances in the thickness. But they mixed these batches. So it could happen that opposing halves of one bearing varied op to 0.2 mm in thickness, effectively bending the carnkshaft every half turn slightly. Also there was a mistake in the tooling ; a CNC bench that removed edges near the flanks of the excentric parts, undercut slightly forming a snapping point like you cut a scratch in a panel of glass. Evidently 90% of snapped krankshafts fit with others in detail. A man in South Africa spend loads of time investigating this [ https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/showthread.php/248591-Preliminary-Investigation-into-TDV6-Crank-Failures ].

The result of some aspects put together [ for this engine ] is that at cold starts, this semi section gets a 'shove' when started since the crankshafts is resting metal-to- metal, worse if the car is used rarely, let say once every 5 days or less. Then, some people have the bad habbit of pushing the throttle at starting and revving up : not good at all. Sadly Jaguar made this the automatic starting procedure for all F-Type engines, why.... :roll:

Then, driving a short distance leaves the oil cold and it does not lubricate well, also water from condensation does not evaporate and builds up in the sump. Some people only observe the 'milage' for sevice intervals, though one year is the minimum on the TdV6.

Eventually such a 'shove' could be enough for a section of the bearing to shift over the 'nodge' and ends up wedged between the other bearing section and the crankshaft, extremely deforming the crankshaft every turn and in a few turns it snaps off..

Sadly JLR did not pro-actively pick up this problem. Sofar around 8% of all TdV6 ended this way. Sometimes at very low milage, sometimes at very high milages. The latter with engines well used and cared for, but the 'thin' section from a pair [from different producers] of crankshafts bearing shells was then worn out to a level it would vibrate in the bedding as it rocked when the load shifted from the thicker half to the thinner, so 'shimmied' the section to jump from the nodge that itself was in perfect order.

In Taiwan the authorities has decided that JLR has to replace all engines that end due to a failing crankshaft, no matter age or milage...

The man who bought my D3 lives in Luxembourg : he leaves it 24/7 on the electricity to keep the engine at working temperature . He lives in a hilly area and has to rev up the engine [ above 2200rpm when the turbo kicks in..] quite soon after leaving his home, a rather risky situation for these engines.

So, in order to let your V8 lead a happy life, let it run warm and do not 'give it beans' untill about ten minutes at least, after the indicater says it reached operating temperature. But that means driving , forget the time you halt at a traffic light. In summer it can well be you reach this in ten
minutes, in cold winter only after 15-20 minutes of driving.

Enjoy !

#5 ·
Dan, thanks for the detailed reply, really appreciated &#x1f44d-1f3fb;, sounds like either you've done a lot of research into this, or just a very knowledgable person, either way, a good person to know &#x1f44d-1f3fb;

#6 ·
I read 99% from the D3 forum in the UK.. ..was terrified my engine would 'give-the-ghost' too..

#7 ·
That's the only problem with forums, they can almost give you a nervous breakdown, when mine snapped its crank I had not long taken out the LR extended warranty, (just over 3 years old) and the majority of talk was that the extended warranty would definitely NOT cover it as it's a design flaw, I must say I did have a nail biting 2 week wait while "investigating" was carried out, and as the sport was a trade in for the velar, the crank going 1 week before handover, did complicate things a tad.
But on the other hand, a forum can be a great place to find out all sorts of information, plus even friendships made with like minded people that just care about what they drive.

Tk

#9 ·
Not long to go now, 8:30 handover tomorrow, and I must say, I'm rather looking forward to this one 😁
Might be a while before I can post some pics and the all important soundtrack as I might be going for a rather long drive, you know just to get used to it a bit 😉

#10 ·
Enjoy Nowayt !!! __ try to hold back and run it in properly, it will run smoother and live longer..

Take care with new tires : in the wet put it on 'rain and snow' as long as you are not used to throttle response,
that can be a bit unpredictable sometimes.. :shock:

#11 ·
Thanks for the advice Dan, it's going to be hard not pushing it a bit but, as long as I can keep away from long open stretches and slip roads it'll be ok 🙄, was planning to keep it civilised for at least 1500 to 2000 miles before opening it up a bit, but nothing to stop me pressing that exhaust button before pressing the start button although the neighbours might object a bit 🤣,

#12 ·
Do you know they changed that ? In the USA there were some court verdicts condemming V8/V6 owners
to start the car with a closed garage door and wait with opening the door until the revs dropped - no joke - :roll: .

So the start-up is now silent not revving up automaticly. Much better for the life expectancy of the engines too..

You could briefly rev up to 4000rpm after 2000 miles I guess. Check your manual there is a section on running in..

You can read it now.. https://www.ownerinfo.jaguar.com/document/4A/2020/T19962/34861_en_GBR/proc/G1804713

The method described for the F-Type is more detailed :
https://www.ownerinfo.jaguar.com/document/4A/2020/T19962/34861_en_GBR/proc/G1804713

Tomorrow you have other things to do then reading... :lol:

Have a safe trip ! :mrgreen:

#13 ·
The one I test drove was started from cold, and before the salesman started it he turned the ignition on, opened the valve, then started it. It definitely was at higher revs for the first 10/20 seconds or so.

#14 ·
You will know when you start. I only heared this rumour. Actually : you will be the first to know it for real,
I thinks loads of people would love to know the rumour is not true.. :cool:

And.. ..its true, at least for the F-Type.. https://www.ftypeforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=4161

#15 ·
A couple of pics,
Last one is new and old together, was a bit strange with both being on the same plate,
When I get time, I'll try and get that intoxicating noise

Attachments

#16 ·
@ Nowaytk__ Congrats ! Looking good ; love the wheels !

Just read back the start of the thread. Indeed, the Velar SVR is far more costly. But the move from D300 to P575 / SVR is kind of strange when you move to a hybrid. In particular when you know the [F-Pace] hybrid [ and Velar, D5 , DS, Evoque ] will all be 3-cylinder 1500cc P300e engines...

I would simply stick with the SVR and wait for with the hybrid until you reach 70 or such age.. :mrgreen:

I plan to give my F-Type [P300] to my son when I'm 65 [ 6 more yrs]. Maybe I then switch to an EV XJ or such..

When you read this you had a nice day out I think. Try to keep everything in one piece... ;)

#18 ·
Beginning to think I may have this a while, going by all the grinning I've been doing, 😄, the journey back from the dealer, which was mainly duel carriageway, small amount of motorway followed by 10 mins of stop start traffic, seems to of returned just under 22mpg, which is ok for me considering tight engine etc, to be fair was expecting under 20mpg. Even in stop start traffic, just the process of the engine coming to life again with its low growl makes me smile every time, just got to think of some excuses on why I need to pop out, Already had to use the favourite of, need to put fuel in it dear, 😁 (I'll be using that one a lot, lol) incidentally, the trip was saying just over 500 miles to empty with a full tank, although I think it'll be more like half that lol. On start up it definitely revs higher for the first 10/15 secs and with the loud button pressed even blipping it to around 3000 rpm you get pops and crackles which was a surprise as thought they had to do away with that?
Anyway that's enough from me for the moment, I've got to pop out for some milk 😂

#19 ·
Lucky you.. .. the updated F-Pace V8 only comes in september, the 2021MY... .. yours will become a collectable.. :cool:

#20 ·
I know I'm still taking things easy and all that, but quite happy with this mpg, (real world I assume it's about 24 ?), not trying to be fuel efficient as moving along in traffic I do tend give it more throttle than I should, just to hear a bit of that sweet purr of the V8 😁, the quicker I get out of this taking it easy mindset the better, didn't get a V8 to worry about mpg 😂

Attachments

#21 ·
If I where you I would remove the actual route bit. Might someone uses the forum to spot an SVR to steal..

I am really amazed at you mpg, given I have a 250hp 4-cylinder. My car is supposed to be 50% more economical..
This is the best I ever had... :shock:

Font Number Parallel Circle Rectangle

For real my car still is supposed to be 20% more economical : it isn't.. :roll:

Lease company REAL long time averages for daily use : norm equals real achieved for the SVR only ... :?
Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot Number

Attachments

#23 ·
Good. To many weired people around nowadays to take any kind of chance.. :|

#24 ·
Does anyone know how to post a video? Taken a short 40-50 sec vid of a cold start up but when I try to add file in attachments, videos are not displayed only photos, not very computer savvy so if anyone has an idiots guide it would be most appreciated

#25 ·
You upload to youtube and post the URL..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.