Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

SVR - clicking noise when steering

28K views 51 replies 9 participants last post by  Rusk 
#1 ·
I realise there are not many SVRs on the road yet but I have noticed my car makes a clicking noise when I am steering at low speeds - it's most obvious when the car is on full lock and the windows are open.
It does not sound serious but I wonder if any one else has noticed the same whether in an SVR or a different model F-Pace
My car has the 22 inch wheels

#7 ·
It might be related but the crabbing problem (which I have experienced in other cars but not so noticeable to me in the F-Pace?) is different from the audible clicking - I'm certainly curious to see if p3eps can hear the same - it's most noticeable when I'm in my work underground car park as the walls amplify the noise.

#8 ·
The chap with the similar problem on the US forum had this update:

about 1 hour ago · #6
I brought the Jag in for a fix on the clicking. It appears that Jag is still trying to identify the correct fix for this. They had to send an audio file to JLR. The fix was to re-torque the "wheel lug" and the lug nuts in multiple steps. It did rectify the problem and its currently silent. I also had them check brake pads due to the squeak and that is also now quiet. I had bed them and they still were squeaking. Now all is good.

Got my oil changed as a precaution. I don't like the idea of the break in oil being in there for 16,000 miles. However, $160 for an oil change? Wasn't expecting that. 8.5 quarts of oil in these beasts is quite the oil reserve.

#9 ·
I took a couple of the boys from work out for lunch today. Sunny warm day, so the car was roasting. Everyone opened the windows for a start to let the hot air out.
As soon as we turned out of the car park, the guy in the passenger seat commented on the clicking.
We turned the stereo down, and then listened out.

The demonstrator I have at the moment seems to click when turning the steering wheel more that 90deg. More obvious at low speed - probably due to less background noise.

It's really obvious... and I'll have to check my own car when I get it back. It sounds like one of those plastic things you put in your bike spokes as a kid!

#10 ·
p3eps said:
It's really obvious... and I'll have to check my own car when I get it back. It sounds like one of those plastic things you put in your bike spokes as a kid!
Yep - that's what the noise reminded me of too! I need to book my car in for a fix. I also get some brake squeal. Both issues seem to be "features" of the SVR!

#12 ·
Jaguar mobile technician heard my click this morning - he was aware of the issue and had heard it on another SVR. The car will be booked in for a fix - he said it was a "wheel bearing" issue. Not sure whether that means a new part or something else. Will try and find out more when my car gets fixed. He said there was no safety issue in the meantime!

Would be good if someone could open the link that p3eps posted above...

#14 ·
My car is STILL with the dealer (although GPS tells me it's at the bodyshop just now).
They called me the other day and advised that the noise was the tyres skipping.
I can't verify my own car, as I haven't driven it for such a long time... but their demonstrator is 100% not tyres skipping! It's REALLY loud and obvious - even with the windows shut.

I was in a multi story car park the other day, and naturally put the windows down to start the car 😂
When I drove away and round the 90deg corners, the 'ticking' was super loud.

#15 ·
Just had a call from my dealer - the car is booked in for the end of this month to fix the clicking - I am told they will need the car for 3 days! - seems like a major fix if they need the car that long. Hopefully new cars being built won't have this problem.

It's possible it's just a batch of duff wheel bearings so not all cars are affected but who knows?

#16 ·
Question for p3eps - do you still have the demo SVR (if so why so long?!) and does is it still click when steering at low speeds?
I ask because for a few days my car seemed to stop clicking but then it came back and sounded really loud!
Then on other days it goes quiet again. Car seems fine for normal driving.
In any event something is not right so hopefully the fix next week will sort it.

#17 ·
Afraid so - still got the demo.
4 weeks today.
Why so long...? Been at the bodyshop twice, waiting for warranty approval, various meetings etc. Getting them to accept all costs.
Car is due back to me at the end of the week. I haven't driven it for 6 weeks (was on holiday the fortnight before they collected it) other than a couple of laps of their car park last week with the tech to see if it clicked.

Mine is very faint, but the demonstrator is REALLY bad. It does it all the time, and is really obvious - even with music on. They told me it was the tyres skipping (as per their bulletin), but after the tech heard it, he said it was something else - possibly bearings?

#19 ·
Don't you just love Jaguar dealers?
Having waited several weeks for the clicking steering to be fixed (new wheel bearings needed - a known issue) a cock up meant no loan car available today so now rebooked for mid-August! A lack of loan cars is reason for the long delay. Time to try another dealer...

#21 ·
An update.
After suffering from a clicking noise when steering at low speeds since the car was new I eventually booked the car in but had to wait several weeks for a slot - and guess what - a few days before the car went in the clicking 100% stopped!
The dealer had already heard the clicking and had ordered lots of parts (new wheel hubs) but could not authorise a repair because the clicking had gone!
My car has now done 3.5k miles and seems to have fixed itself.
I will be monitoring it closely and if the noise comes back it will be straight back to the dealer.
They did a least fix my fault 360 camera so it wasn't a total waste of time.

I had an XF 25t as a loan car - not too bad but the SVR feels so much nicer - happy to be back in the beast

#22 ·
Mine is in just now for various issues - and although very minor, this is one of the issues.
The demonstrator I had for 6 weeks was 100x more obvious than mine.

The dealer has had to send a sound clip to JLR to get authorisation. Apparently I'm due to get the car back at the beginning of next week.

Currently, I have a '19 plate RR Vogue. Very luxurious... but a bit like driving a barge!!
Love the LCD climate control though.

#23 ·
Unlikely to be the beginning of the week - as it's a bank holiday, and JLR haven't authorised the new bearings yet.
Car was booked in for a couple of days, and is likely to be 2 weeks. Last time the car was in for a couple of days, it was 6 weeks 😂

#24 ·
At least they give you nice loan cars!
I'm not sure how a problem can "fix itself" (my clicking was very noticeable originally) but I'm happy for my car not to have any major surgery if it can be avoided.

#25 ·
Jagseven said:
I'm not sure how a problem can "fix itself"
Me neither, that'd be wishful thinking . . it's much more likely that whatever friction was happening to cause the clicking sound to occur has now worn away at whatever it was binding on . . I'd hardly consider that to be a fix. I'd say it still needs checking out thoroughly.

#26 ·
Well...today I heard the click again - quite quiet but it seems to be returning. Maybe something to do with the hot weather perhaps? When it's good and loud I'll video it myself and book the car back in

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.