SIM cards

Faults and Technical chat for the Jaguar F-Pace.
Lofty8174

Re: SIM cards

Post by Lofty8174 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:08 pm

My 3sim stops working occasionally but if I go into settings and the switch the data off then back on again it works fine, for a while.
3.0SC, Petrol, Black, Priv glass, Tracker, 10 way mem seats in red, Adaptive h/lights, Pano, 20" Grey Diamond Turned, NavPro 380W, Powered gest boot, Rear release levers, Electric rear recline, Blindspot monitor & Traffic detect.

SVR TBC...

mike72uk

Post by mike72uk » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:34 pm

Lofty8174 wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:08 pm
My 3sim stops working occasionally but if I go into settings and the switch the data off then back on again it works fine, for a while.
Tried that numerous times, no change. Took SIM out and reinserted, no change
25t R-Sport AWD Auto (Corris + Ebony/Lt Oyster Stitch) - MY18
20" Venom's; Black Pack; 18-way Mem Seats; ICTP; Cold Climate pack; Adaptive LED's; Privacy; Pano Roof; Adaptive Cruise; Tow Bar; Surround Cam; Blind Spot, Keyless; Config Dynamics;

mike72uk

Post by mike72uk » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:30 pm

Another update in the ongoing SIM saga:

So the new Plusnet unlimited minutes, unlimited texts and 2GB data per month SIM worked for all of about 5 minutes. Got a lovely 4G symbol and all was good for a bit. Then presto, back to the round symbol with the diagonal line through it and the SIM not supported message in the connectivity settings. A quick call to Plusnet customer support, and the same diatribe about not supporting cars and speaking to the vehicle manufacturer....blah, blah, blah.

Needless to say as I was in 14 day cooling off period I immediately cancelled and advised I'd be cancelling my broadband too, as the car is simply another mobile device and that how can they prevent it working/not support it. They didn't seem too interested or to care. I tried arguing the toss that it must be something on their side as it worked for about 5 minutes when I could browse the inter-web, get the news and weather updates, get google maps working etc. Not interested just the standard - not supported in cars schpeel !

Then I thought maybe that it's doing this to all sims, works briefly and then stops, as I did test with my mobile phone O2 sim previously, but never left it in there for long, just saw it came up with 4G signal and then removed it. So, I took my O2 sim (which granted is a pay monthly voice, data and text contract rather than PAYG) and put that in and it's been in there since about 16:00 this afternoon (its now 20:30 and its worked the whole time.

More annoying, while in the car, looking at Jag Landrover information about the data connectivity, their statement goes something of the lines of requiring a suitable data sim, and I think actually refers to a "mobile broadband SIM" Another case of lack of joined up thinking but the component parts of carries and vehicle manufacturers.

I'm now trying a GiffGaff sim (which is on the O2 network) int he car to see if that works, as my phone O2 one seems fine.

I'm pretty pissed with Jag about this as effectively they are saying it's nothing to do with the car, but they won't say which SIM/Carrier they support/will work, they have effectively sold me a product that doesn't do what it is supposed to

Grounds for rejection.....14 months on from delivery ?

Regards,
M.
20" Venom's; Black Pack; 18-way Mem Seats; ICTP; Cold Climate pack; Adaptive LED's; Privacy; Pano Roof; Adaptive Cruise; Tow Bar; Surround Cam; Blind Spot, Keyless; Config Dynamics;

jeffreywoodham

Post by jeffreywoodham » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:44 pm

I hope the last paragraph was meant to be a joke. My Three Sim is still working and I hardly use it so perhaps as someone mentioned earlier if you use it to surf or something similar then it is being picked up as not being in a “mobile device”
2018 25t Portfolio, BRG, Siena, Privacy, Configurable Dynamics, Infra Red Screen

mike72uk

Post by mike72uk » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:42 pm

jeffreywoodham wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:44 pm
I hope the last paragraph was meant to be a joke. My Three Sim is still working and I hardly use it so perhaps as someone mentioned earlier if you use it to surf or something similar then it is being picked up as not being in a “mobile device”
Well either way, if you can't use it to browse, why include a web browser and it's not only the browsing, all the connected services that rely in the user data sim (as opposed to what presumably is a 2nd built in sim for Remote Start, unlocking etc) then the services I have bought and paid for as part of the ICTP upgrade (on a MY18 car) are not being delivered or are incapable being used.

The really frustrating bit is the I am pretty much 100% certain the issue iw with the carriers/SIM, and not the car (given my O2 sim from my mobile works perfectly) yet they want nothing to do with the issue and simply repeat the "cars are not supported" mantra. Well, news, we live in an era when more and more vehicles are data capable and connected, and will most certainly require more connectivity in the future, so what are they proposing to do?

My gripe/dissatisfaction/annoyance lies mainly with the carriers, but somewhat also with Jag as if they are going to sell this function in their cars, they should be able to stand behind it and have a proven carrier partner approved carriers that have certified they will support the vehicle connectivity.

Rant over !

nphe9974

Post by nphe9974 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:51 am

I guess you could just activate the mobile hotspot on your phone. As long as it’s connecyted via Bluetooth the ICTP will use that for internet connectivity. Suppose it depends what data plan you have on your phone but it’s an easy option.
F-Pace 3.0 d S, Ammonite Grey, ICTP

June16

Post by June16 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:13 am

mike72uk wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:42 pm
jeffreywoodham wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:44 pm
Well either way, if you can't use it to browse, why include a web browser and it's not only the browsing, all the connected services that rely in the user data sim (as opposed to what presumably is a 2nd built in sim for Remote Start, unlocking etc) then the services I have bought and paid for as part of the ICTP upgrade (on a MY18 car) are not being delivered or are incapable being used.

The really frustrating bit is the I am pretty much 100% certain the issue iw with the carriers/SIM, and not the car (given my O2 sim from my mobile works perfectly) yet they want nothing to do with the issue and simply repeat the "cars are not supported" mantra. Well, news, we live in an era when more and more vehicles are data capable and connected, and will most certainly require more connectivity in the future, so what are they proposing to do?

My gripe/dissatisfaction/annoyance lies mainly with the carriers, but somewhat also with Jag as if they are going to sell this function in their cars, they should be able to stand behind it and have a proven carrier partner approved carriers that have certified they will support the vehicle connectivity.

Rant over !
Seems strange that you are the only one affected ?
No reports on Evoque, Velar , Discovery Sport , Discovery forums at all.
Many using the 3 data sim too.
MY18 Rsport 25t BRG , Ebony - Oyster, 18 way mem, Surround Cam, blis, ICTP, LED adaptive....etc

June16

Post by June16 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:42 am

Mike did you put your card in a phone before using it in the car
Or just straight into the car ?
I have heard that phones can turn off data if sim is out in a phone first this leads to the unsupported message.

No reports of 3 data Sims not working in Audi or Mercedes either, I did come across the same “ we only support devices such as phones tablets response ” but that appears to be the stance of all data only card providers since 2015. So the fact they say unsupported doesn’t mean it won’t work.Its just card providers are not interested in helping car owners.

The lack of anyone else having issues would make me think the car has an issue.

Have you updated to phase 4 (18c software) EPace forum seems to indicate unsupported SIM messages have been resolved in later ICTP software updates.
MY18 Rsport 25t BRG , Ebony - Oyster, 18 way mem, Surround Cam, blis, ICTP, LED adaptive....etc

RDB1

Post by RDB1 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:58 am

It appears that I am having issues with my 3 card after all. Although I'm getting the 4G icon I'm not getting traffic, browser or Apps at present. I've not spoken with 3 as yet but have just called the dealer who confirmed that 2019 cars come with a 500Mb per data card for free but these only work in 2019 cars. The chap I spoke to has tried GIfGaff cards and they work but I will speak with 3 and see what they say as I'm surprised to get the Icon but nothing else.
F-Pace 3.0D S - 2018, Corris grey, Pano Roof (fixed), Cold Climate Pack, ICTP 380W, Privacy glass, Spare wheel, Service Pack etc

June16

Post by June16 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:11 pm

RDB1 wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:58 am
It appears that I am having issues with my 3 card after all. Although I'm getting the 4G icon I'm not getting traffic, browser or Apps at present. I've not spoken with 3 as yet but have just called the dealer who confirmed that 2019 cars come with a 500Mb per data card for free but these only work in 2019 cars. The chap I spoke to has tried GIfGaff cards and they work but I will speak with 3 and see what they say as I'm surprised to get the Icon but nothing else.
Are you on one of the latest ICTP versions?
2019 sones with a SIM and card , but is hugely expensive compaired to other deals.

You won’t get help from 3 just the unsupported response

Return to “Faults & Technical Discussions”