Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

Poor PDI

8K views 19 replies 5 participants last post by  Smitten 
#1 ·
I have had my car since the end of July but I have been busy with work and DIY projects as well, working from home mainly means the car hasn't been used it has only done 435miles. Ever since we have had it there has been a hot burning smell when you exit the car and sometimes when sitting in traffic, my wife complained it gave her a headache. Being still very new with low mileage we just put it down to the usual new smells with catalytic converters etc.
However on Saturday the 1st September I had to quickly pop to screwfix to pick something up late in the afternoon and on the way back the low coolant warning came on being very close to home I continued slowly to home.
On opening the bonnet there is coolant spray every where and steam all over just as if something had burst, I immediately call Jaguar assistance. I could have had an AA man come straight away or wait till Sunday for a Jaguar man, I chose to wait.
He came earlier than expected on Sunday to discover a pipe that had not been connected hence the burning smell, luckily I had only been on one longish trip of 90miles all others being less than 5 or 10 the car had never really reached full operating temperature.
So now I have had to contact the dealer so they can make a full repair and check the car for any signs of damage but this should have been picked up in PDI along with the screw or something hard under the leather of the rear seat for which they have had to order a new seat.

See less See more
Reactions: Conroy
#2 ·
That's not a good start!

How did that get through QA at the manufacturers and PDI?

Did jaguar assist arrange a replacement vehicle for you They should have done.

Hope it comes back all cleaned up and thouroughly checked.

#3 ·
No replacement vehicle but as it's already booked into my local dealer with a replacement arranged for the seat work they can do it all then.

I will be making sure they do it all as I will be taking the report with me and making sure its a manufacturers and dealer mistake for missing it.

It's not the first time I have had something similar with a new car but then I noticed it when I got home from picking it up as there was fluid on the floor under the car, but with Jaguars there is a complete under cover so any leak just sat in there. I am just hoping it has done no damage to the engine as aluminium engines are really fragile when it comes to overheating I had to have a Mercedes engine replaced after it boiled over three times.

#4 ·
Sounds like a hose clamp that has worked loose as not properly tightened or similar. Hopefully no lasting damage and all will be quickly resolved for you.

#5 ·
Are these hoseclamps visible or reachable or are they obscured out the way? Do you have any picks from under the hood? Id like to try diy check if possible as mine is also a new 25t.

Dont think mines had any unusual odours other than new car smell and on the first use of the ac at high temp, but thought that was just new operation smell.

#6 ·
Very sorry to hear of your issues, not sure how far the dealer would look at the engines hoses as the engine would have been bench tested before being ready to fit to a vehicle, sounds like it was perhaps knocked loose on the production line and finally came loose when you have been using the car.

Hopefully no long damage.

#7 ·
Btw, good call on waiting for JA as that is the only way to go, however, what you could have additionally done was get the JA driver to shadow you to the nearest dealer to drop your car off, and where the JA man would confirm the issue and help get you a replacement car there and then from JA

So even if your car had to wait for all its bits for the dealer warranty work youd still have a loaner car to use in the meantime...

#8 ·
I checked the water level Monday morning as the JA man had said that they would have dropped a little once cool so I topped them up, I used the car to and from the station today early morning and mid afternoon the burning smell was definitely there and the water level had dropped so I do appear to be losing water. I took a picture of the tank mainly for Blucat but it is worth check as the system is pressurised and they are just plastic clips. The one that was disconnected was the one with the white paint on by the dip stick.
The tank is bolted to the bulk head so it is put on either before or after engine/drive/subframe assembly meets the body. The subframes are assembled on a jig then the axle then the engine/transmission and drive gear is assemble onto the jig then the suspension and brakes etc. The assembled body and subframe jig are married up and it is bolted together buy robots, other than bare body assembly they are the only robots used everything else is done by men.
The car was booked in anyway on the 18th September and at the moment I can get away most days not using it for more than a couple of miles here and there if that. It will be useful to see if it really loses any more water tomorrow I can at least tell the dealer its not a one loss of water.
Heres the picture of the tank in question.
Motor vehicle Automotive design Personal luxury car Car Auto part

Attachments

#9 ·
Reggraham said:
I checked the water level Monday morning as the JA man had said that they would have dropped a little once cool so I topped them up, I used the car to and from the station today early morning and mid afternoon the burning smell was definitely there and the water level had dropped so I do appear to be losing water. I took a picture of the tank mainly for Blucat but it is worth check as the system is pressurised and they are just plastic clips. The one that was disconnected was the one with the white paint on by the dip stick.
The tank is bolted to the bulk head so it is put on either before or after engine/drive/subframe assembly meets the body. The subframes are assembled on a jig then the axle then the engine/transmission and drive gear is assemble onto the jig then the suspension and brakes etc. The assembled body and subframe jig are married up and it is bolted together buy robots, other than bare body assembly they are the only robots used everything else is done by men.
The car was booked in anyway on the 18th September and at the moment I can get away most days not using it for more than a couple of miles here and there if that. It will be useful to see if it really loses any more water tomorrow I can at least tell the dealer its not a one loss of water.
Heres the picture of the tank in question.
IMG_2671.jpg
I think that pipe next to the dip stick at the top, coming out just under the expansion tank cap is the overflow pipe / pipe going off to the atmospheric bottle if the FPace has one. I haven't looked that hard into the engine yet.

The system pressure is supposed to be regulated by the pressure relief in the cap .
It will be interesting to see what they find.

I expect there might be an airlock too if it lost a lot of water, so definately worth keeping an eye on it.

Did your temp guage go up at all, or is it sitting on half way ( which is where mine sits all the time once hot)

#10 ·
Tried it this morning only went about 10 miles but temperature remained constant so I can't see any problems still getting the horrible rubbery burning smell from the engine bay though so they will need to find why that is. It's not pleasant when sitting in traffic.

#12 ·
Well I have just got back from a 450 mile round trip and the water problem didn't re-occur so thankfully that was fixed, as for the seat it had a bent frame so they removed the leather and put it on a new seat it's a bit more comfortable now.

#13 ·
Reggraham said:
Well I have just got back from a 450 mile round trip and the water problem didn't re-occur so thankfully that was fixed, as for the seat it had a bent frame so they removed the leather and put it on a new seat it's a bit more comfortable now.
Seems JLR are on the ball , this just appeared on topix , that will be your disconnected vent pipe from the bottle

Human body Rectangle Font Handwriting Circle

Attachments

#14 ·
It would be nice to see the whole bulletin but I would have to pay £16.70 for the one hour access as I only have a pay per use account with Topix. Paying that seems a lot just to read what it says.

#15 ·
Found a missing cover under the nearside front wing, My wife said there is a whole under your wing we looked an initially I thought it was the vent. It wasn't until she was pulling onto the drive at night that her headlights picked it out. The cover protecting the rear of the headlight and all the connections is missing and judging by the dirt it has never been there. All of the back of the assemblies above that part of the wing are coated in Mud who know what damage has been done to any electrics that are there may have something to do with my adaptive cruise switching off twice in wet weather probable getting muck and rain up where it shouldn't go.

#16 ·
That's a big part to miss out on the production line and not be seen at PDI. Not sure how many sections my wheel arch liner is in but found an image on ebay to give you an idea of what the whole thing looks like complete. Looks like two parts hinged in the middle somehow? I assume left is nearside:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/123374722617?chn=ps

#17 ·
Smitten said:
That's a big part to miss out on the production line and not be seen at PDI. Not sure how many sections my wheel arch liner is in but found an image on ebay to give you an idea of what the whole thing looks like complete. Looks like two parts hinged in the middle somehow? I assume left is nearside:

To be fair i have not got any faith in the production line or PDI, when i had my first Fpace delivered the passenger door stuck out so bad at the bottom i could put my hand inside the car yet not picked up.

#18 ·
Jagfpacejk said:
Smitten said:

To be fair i have not got any faith in the production line or PDI, when i had my first Fpace delivered the passenger door stuck out so bad at the bottom i could put my hand inside the car yet not picked up.
That is truly aweful. Lucky with mine and alignment of doors and panels was good but even so one exhaust pipe was a lot longer than the another...

#19 ·
Smitten said:
Jagfpacejk said:
Smitten said:

That is truly aweful. Lucky with mine and alignment of doors and panels was good but even so one exhaust pipe was a lot longer than the another...
Yes had this on one of mine also, drivers side was slightly longer, strange as when you watch the production line videos it shows a jig they use when they fit these so they get them aligned correctly, I guess if they do not align the jig in the first place then the exhaust won't be either.

#20 ·
Jagfpacejk said:
Smitten said:
Jagfpacejk said:
Yes had this on one of mine also, drivers side was slightly longer, strange as when you watch the production line videos it shows a jig they use when they fit these so they get them aligned correctly, I guess if they do not align the jig in the first place then the exhaust won't be either.
I imagine the "No plan survives contact with the enemy" rule applies. Who knows what actually happens on the production line when 200 cars have already been past you and you are thinking about the weekend or something completely different. Whatever system is in place ranging from discipline and pride in the workforce to jigs and quality control are only as good as the weakest link in the chain and motivation of the people carrying them out...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.