Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

Windscreen

14K views 30 replies 13 participants last post by  RoyF 
#1 ·
After almost 40years of driving Jag I g to have first replacement windscreen. Stone hit top right corner leaving a 25mm star. Jaguar dealer said new screen so Autoglass booked via insurance. Interesting their site said 567 Fpace screens fitted so far, seems a lot!

Now waiting to find replacement heated screen. :(

#3 ·
I find myself willing stones to fly up and hit me as my insurance company repaired my 15mm crack and chip to the centre of the windscreen and it doesn't look good. They refused to replace as it could be repaired but, it is far from perfect and can still be seen clearly from inside. It was a few centimetres away from the zone they can't repair....annoyingly

#4 ·
Smitten said:
I find myself willing stones to fly up and hit me as my insurance company repaired my 15mm crack and chip to the centre of the windscreen and it doesn't look good. They refused to replace as it could be repaired but, it is far from perfect and can still be seen clearly from inside. It was a few centimetres away from the zone they can't repair....annoyingly
Can't you just say the repair is causing blinding , and blurring at night and distorting your vision.
I'm sure the insurance would arrange a new screen if you say that.??

#5 ·
Not a bad idea June 16.....its actually quite small but it is in the eyeline in the centre of the windscreen but not in the zone immediately above the wheel. I think I will have a word now that darker nights and headlights create more dazzle

#6 ·
If you have your windscreen replaced by Autoglass or a non dealer supplier, it is worth noting that you will need to have it 'recalibrated' because of the cameras mounted near the rear view mirror (lane departure etc). If the windscreen company can't do it when refitting it will cost £100 at the main dealers. This happened to me in my Discovery Sport. The good news is that the insurance company will pay it but worth checking with them first! :cool:

#7 ·
FP Steve B said:
If you have your windscreen replaced by Autoglass or a non dealer supplier, it is worth noting that you will need to have it 'recalibrated' because of the cameras mounted near the rear view mirror (lane departure etc). If the windscreen company can't do it when refitting it will cost £100 at the main dealers. This happened to me in my Discovery Sport. The good news is that the insurance company will pay it but worth checking with them first! :cool:
Autoglass told me they have to take it for a 30mins drive to reset the camera systems, so they know about it now! I guess 30 months of Fpace on the road gives everyone more knowledge!

#8 ·
When I needed a replacement on my XE, I was also directed to Autoglass via Insurance Claim line and got the same delay message while they sourced replacement, which I now strongly suspect was because they are made to order by Pilkington, having found out via the XE forum that they do not always use genuine Jaguar replacement screens. After trying to get reasssurance that they were going to use a genuine part and failing, I contacted National Windscreens, who it transpired were also an authorised repairer of the Insurer, and they ordered the screen immediately, fitted the next day at their local depot, caliberated the camera and billed the insurer direct,

#9 ·
Bluefire65 said:
When I needed a replacement on my XE, I was also directed to Autoglass via Insurance Claim line and got the same delay message while they sourced replacement, which I now strongly suspect was because they are made to order by Pilkington, having found out via the XE forum that they do not always use genuine Jaguar replacement screens. After trying to get reassurance that they were going to use a genuine part and failing, I contacted National Windscreens, who it transpired were also an authorised repairer of the Insurer, and they ordered the screen immediately, fitted the next day at their local depot, caliberated the camera and billed the insurer direct,
My insurer also said if it was to be replaced it would be an Autoglass sourced Pilkington branded windscreen and not a genuine Jaguar branded screen as that would be much more expensive and take longer to source. They assured me it would be the same quality and identical in all other respects as it is Pilkington that makes the Jaguar windscreens. Insurers obviously want to wriggle out of as much cost as they can. I think I will find out who else my insurer recommends for repair/replacement.

#10 ·
I have had two replacement windscreens in my f pace
The first replacement lasted 4 hrs before it was Brocken by another stone.
Both screens was fitted by non jaguar fitters but both was original jaguar replacements

#11 ·
jagman2017 said:
I have had two replacement windscreens in my f pace
The first replacement lasted 4 hrs before it was Brocken by another stone.
Both screens was fitted by non jaguar fitters but both was original jaguar replacements
Autoglass or someone else Jagman?

#12 ·
They seem to have Brittle Screens. Two FPaces now owned and two screens !!

#13 ·
Autoglass man who came to mine said SUVs are more prone as have a higher profile. Not very scientific but, there could be something in it...

#14 ·
Smitten said:
Autoglass man who came to mine said SUVs are more prone as have a higher profile. Not very scientific but, there could be something in it...
Agree the more upright the screen the more likely to chip than skim off the surface.

#16 ·
We have had over the years several SUV's from Suzuki, Ford, a couple of Jeeps, RR Evoque. All without having to have a window screen replaced. Now had 2 F Pace , One had a replacement and the other now chipped. Was I lucky with the other SUV screens or are the F Pace screens easily chipped ?

#17 ·
Another thought. Maybe it's the roads and not the cars? I have had two chips in two years and none in the previous 40 years. Perhaps tyres are picking up more loose debris from poor road surfaces these days than in the past due to the decline in road maintenance budgets.

#18 ·
Yes smitten I go alone with that.
As VED is what we pay and this is appropriated for everything rather than just the roads.
Seems ages since I've seen a council road sweeping truck clean the roads of debris

#19 ·
+1 Smitten. I like to have thoughts in several directions.
What I will now try to do is to check what kind of car is in front of me when it makes Clonck on my windscreen.
SUVs, lorries, small cars? Perhaps it's the size of the wheel that grabs the stone?
More big wheels on the street = more chips?
To check out their profile we'll not get close enough :)

#20 ·
Good point, bad roads and winter starting to bite means more potholes. More stones to be thrown up. Both times when I had screen damage it came from stones being thrown by large trucks.

#21 ·
I had my windscreen replaced in July by Autoglass. Took a couple of hours and we then went out on a drive to do the calibration. He used a plug in laptop thing and said everything would work but I noticed that the speed sign recognition wasn't updating. We drove round a bit more and still no joy, much to his bemusement. We ended up stopping in a supermarket car park and, having read through the manual, we discovered that the car had this function was switched off, presumably due to the camera being disconnected. Work bearing in mind!

#22 ·
All good to know in advance. 6 days and still no new screen. The incident was on M25 whether it was stone or piece of wreckage I have no idea but it's starred right at the top of the wiper area. Jaguar dealer said that because it was star cracks it couldn't be repaired like a chip. I expect it to be Pilkington glass not Jaguar but then Jaguar don't make glass so it's likely same thing different label. I may be wrong, i dont care really so long as it gets fixed. Will chase them later for update.

#23 ·
Had my windscreen replaced by Autoglass a couple of weeks back and where the makers name is has been covered over in black with Pilkington name on the black surface. The fitter pointed this out and said that they were Jaguar windscreens but because they were being sold through Autoglass had to have the Jaguar logo covered over. Whether this is BS or correct I have no idea, but it looks and works just the same including the heater elements being visible in certain lighting and angles :lol:

#24 ·
Jim said:
Had my windscreen replaced by Autoglass a couple of weeks back and where the makers name is has been covered over in black with Pilkington name on the black surface. The fitter pointed this out and said that they were Jaguar windscreens but because they were being sold through Autoglass had to have the Jaguar logo covered over. Whether this is BS or correct I have no idea, but it looks and works just the same including the heater elements being visible in certain lighting and angles :lol:
Laugh I was wondering if when they replaced it they would have different elements.
My old mondeo and Volvo had elements that were black / dark grey , so no reflections of light at low sun levels or night.

It's not rocket science to have non reflective elements :roll:

#25 ·
June16 said:
It's not rocket science to have non reflective elements :roll:
Let's be honest making cars isn't rocket science, quality control is just a bit harder. By this I mean my early Fpace had faults that should have been developed out before sales began. Off topic but I wonder if I should buy a new Fpace to experience what it should have been!

Anyway still no news, no new screen... :(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.