Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

Winter Tyres

22K views 35 replies 9 participants last post by  mik 
#1 ·
Hi
I am, as I guess many others will be, looking for winter tyres shortly.
I have 255/55/R19 tyres fitted.

I've looked at the OE recommendation in the manual , which shows the same tyres as listed in topix
http://www.ownerinfo.jaguar.com/document/4A/2018/T19987/25632_en_GBR/proc/G1879446

I noticed that the MY18 and MY19 OE winter tyre recommendation list contain tyres that have now been superceeded in some cases with later models by the manufacturers.
In effect the:
Continental TS 850p is now superceeded by the TS 860 S
Will the OE recommended tyres be updated to reflect , the manufacturers changes?

Secondly in this tyre size will JLR now recommend an all weather tyre, such as the
Michelin CrossClimate SUV. 255/55 R19 111 W XL

It's seems tyres are not being updated or tested to reflect current market trends , new products released and availability.

Thanks

See less See more
#2 ·
Additional to this I am receiving conflicting information about winter tyres on 22" wheels. The manual does not list any approved winter tyre fitment for 22" wheels and indicates that "Use of dedicated winter tyres may require a change of wheel size, depending on the original choice of wheel. All four wheels must be changed." Yet, a quick search online reveals several sites selling Pirelli Scorpion Winter 265/40 R22 106W XL, J, LR - I assume the J, LR means Jaguar Land Rover? There is a premium charge for these tyres marked J, LR. My local dealer was also happy to supply and fit 22" winter tyres. Here is the link:

https://www.tyres-guru.co.uk/product/R-365463?&ID=psm_rdg_uk_shopzilla&Country=GUK

Has Jaguar approved/homogolated any winter tyre for 22" wheels or is the official recommendation still to change all four wheels for winter to 20" or 19" and buy approved tyres in those rim sizes? If none are approved how is it possible for Pirelli to market a tyre marked "J, LR"?

As with June 16 above - I would like a straight answer soon so I can plan accordingly.

#3 ·
Those are pricey £335, double the cost of 19" in the same pattern. You could get rims as well for the same cost and save swapping tyres on rims twice a year.

#4 ·
Deltasierra said:
Those are pricey £335, double the cost of 19" in the same pattern. You could get rims as well for the same cost and save swapping tyres on rims twice a year.
Appreciate smaller wheels and tyres are cheaper. However, I would like clarification as to why you can buy a tyre marked as Jaguar specific by Pirelli but it doesn't appear to be homogolated by Jaguar. Or is it just that guidance is not being updated by JLR? Hopefully Jaguar are reading this thread.

#5 ·
Quite confusing, but I would think the Jaguar certified tyre is just a ploy to make you buy into the winter tyre/wheel swap schemes.

It would make sense that 22in tyress that are jlr compatible are probably fit for jaguar.
I woukd also think that any tyre that porsche/lexus are using are also compatible, so something like michelin lattitude hp might also be suitable for the more performant fpaces

Personally, I reckon Ill be putting on cross climates or even vredestiens, which seems to get better reviews than anything pirelli

#6 ·
As June16 mentioned Blucat the key point is that "It's seems tyres are not being updated or tested to reflect current market trends, new products released and availability" and it would be great to know the up-to-date guidance from Jaguar.

#7 ·
Smitten said:
As June16 mentioned Blucat the key point is that "It's seems tyres are not being updated or tested to reflect current market trends, new products released and availability" and it would be great to know the up-to-date guidance from Jaguar.
Correct, That's why I posted this in the CRC section and not on the general tyre thread that already exists for discussions about same.

#8 ·
June16 said:
Smitten said:
Correct, That's why I posted this in the CRC section and not on the general tyre thread that already exists for discussions about same.
Ok sure.
Tbh, I wasnt even aware that Jaguar have their own rated/approved tyres, I only thought Porsche and BMW did that.

#9 ·
I think I will put Bridgestone Blizzak :
Product Rectangle Azure Font Screenshot

Attachments

#10 ·
June16, I have fitted Vredestein QUATRAC 5 All Season tyres (they are also Winter rated with the 3 peaks, etc. emblem) on my 19inch rims when the Pirelli tyre wore out during lasr winter. I would have preferred the Michelin SUVs that you ask about but last year they were not available in size 255/55/19 W XL, only in smaller sizes. With my last two Jaguars I have swapped the Pirelli tyres for Michelins and have found the ride and road holding has be much better.

The Vredesteins have worked fine and in the snow last winter (in Shropshire not the Alps) they were a huge improvement and no issues through the summer.

Ref. tyres marked as JLR, (or other makes) that just means they are recommended for at least one model not necessarily all models produced by them.

#11 ·
Hi June16,

Thank you for raising your concerns.

I would like to take the opportunity to advise that Jaguar have acknowledged this thread and the concerns raised are currently being investigated by the relevant area of the business.

Once I have received a response, I will arrange to provide further details on this thread.

I apologise for any inconvenience that this may cause.

Thanks,

Becci

#12 ·
CS@Jaguar said:
June16 said:
Hi

I've looked at the OE recommendation in the manual , which shows the same tyres as listed in topix
http://www.ownerinfo.jaguar.com/document/4A/2018/T19987/25632_en_GBR/proc/G1879446

I noticed that the MY18 and MY19 OE winter tyre recommendation list contain tyres that have now been superceeded in some cases with later models by the manufacturers.
In effect the:
Will the OE recommended tyres be updated to reflect , the manufacturers changes?

Secondly in this tyre size will JLR now recommend an all weather tyre, such as the

It's seems tyres are not being updated or tested to reflect current market trends , new products released and availability.

Thanks
Hi June16,

Thank you for raising your concerns.

I would like to take the opportunity to advise that Jaguar have acknowledged this thread and the concerns raised are currently being investigated by the relevant area of the business.

Once I have received a response, I will arrange to provide further details on this thread.

Thanks,

Becci
Thanks Becci,
It will be good to have the recommendations updated before winter if possible 😀😀

Cheers

#13 ·
I mentioned before that 275/40/22 are within thd recommended range for the oem 22" rims.

I ordered a set of 275s at the weekend. Pirelli's in this size are £400 a set cheaper than 265's (!) but I know the Vredstein Wintrac are excellent so saw no reason not to save a further £100 and go for them instead.

camskill link

#14 ·
Hi June16,

Thank you for you enquiry.

I can confirm the approved Jaguar tyres advised in your vehicle handbook are tested by Jaguar to ensure that they meet with the requirements for our vehicles at the time of manufacture of the vehicle.

As I am sure you can appreciate, there may be times where the tyre manufacture offer a new tyre in place of a previously available tyre that meets with the same standard. We are unfortunately unable to continually test and review tyres each time a change or amendment is made to the tyres that a manufacturer produce. However should the tyre manufacturer offer a new tyre in place of the OE supplied tyre, provided it was of the same specification as documented in your vehicle handbook with the same driving characteristics, it would meet with our approval.

I have taken the opportunity to discuss this with Pirelli and they have confirmed that the Scorpion Winter tyres are available. I have contacted Continental in regards to the comments raised and I am currently waiting for a response.

In order to seek confirmation of compatibility I would recommend speaking to the tyre manufacturer, who should be able to provide you with details of equivalent tyres that are currently available.

Alternatively your local approved retailer would be able to assist further.

Thanks, Becci

#15 ·
CS@Jaguar said:
June16 said:
Hi

In effect the:

Thanks
Hi June16,

I can confirm the approved Jaguar tyres advised in your vehicle handbook are tested by Jaguar to ensure that they meet with the requirements for our vehicles at the time of manufacture of the vehicle.

As I am sure you can appreciate, there may be times where the tyre manufacture offer a new tyre in place of a previously available tyre that meets with the same standard. We are unfortunately unable to continually test and review tyres each time a change or amendment is made to the tyres that a manufacturer produce. However should the tyre manufacturer offer a new tyre in place of the OE supplied tyre, provided it was of the same specification as documented in your vehicle handbook with the same driving characteristics, it would meet with our approval.

I have taken the opportunity to discuss this with Pirelli and they have confirmed that the Scorpion Winter tyres are available. I have contacted Continental in regards to the comments raised and I am currently waiting for a response.

In order to seek confirmation of compatibility I would recommend speaking to the tyre manufacturer, who should be able to provide you with details of equivalent tyres that are currently available.

Thanks, Becci
Thanks Becci,
It would be good if you can get an answer from Continental , they do say on their own website that they are currently liasing with several manufactures for type approval for the 860 S and I was hoping Jaguar was one of those manufacturers.

Thanks

#16 ·
mik said:
I mentioned before that 275/40/22 are within thd recommended range for the oem 22" rims.

I ordered a set of 275s at the weekend. Pirelli's in this size are £400 a set cheaper than 265's (!) but I know the Vredstein Wintrac are excellent so saw no reason not to save a further £100 and go for them instead.

camskill link
Mik - you're saying you can fit a set of 275 width tyres to 265 rims? Are you sure?? Or have I misunderstood?

#17 ·
So looking into this more, there does seem to be some flexibility here. However, regarding the fitment of 275s, I came across two sites of relevance:
https://www.wheel-size.com/size/jaguar/f-pace/2017/ shows that the 22" wheels are 9".
https://www.tyresizecalculator.com/charts/tire-width-for-a-wheel-rim-size-chart shows that for 9" wheel, 265 are the biggest that can be fitted.

That said, I'm wondering whether the first site is wrong, and whether the wheels are in fact 9.5"? Even so, 275 is right at the maximum and not sure I would want to go there?

#18 ·
Matteus F-Pace said:
mik said:

camskill link
Mik - you're saying you can fit a set of 275 width tyres to 265 rims? Are you sure?? Or have I misunderstood?
Yes. Discussed previously here , with a couple of links. It is a 9" rim, and a 275/40/22 is the widest tyre you can fit.

Andy mentions on page3 that he fitted this size, but on the rear only. I would not advocate that on a 4wd car, (and would not mix summer and winter tyres either) but it does confirm that they will fit.

#19 ·
Thanks Mik - tyre size calculator link that I added above suggests that 265 is the biggest for 9", but there you go. Your call, but I'm not sure I'd go to the maximum on something you are relying on at 70mph and above!
Different size back vs front tyres is not a problem on a 4 wheel drive - many have this, the new F-Pace SVR (when it finally comes) being one of them. Correct on winter/summer split though - that would be a quick way to death!

#20 ·
Hi Matt,

The link you posted is pretty basic in its info - doesn't take account of sidewall height for example. Better to look at permissible rim widths for the specific tyre size. The range of widths quoted is the permitted range - ie completely safe up to the speed rating if the tyre :)

And different sizes front to back is not necessarily an issue - I meant I would not run different sizes front and back if the car wasn't designed (and ESP etc calibrated) accordingly.

#21 ·
June16 said:
CS@Jaguar said:
June16 said:
Hi

In effect the:

Thanks
Hi June16,

Thanks, Becci
Thanks Becci,
It would be good if you can get an answer from Continental , they do say on their own website that they are currently liasing with several manufactures for type approval for the 860 S and I was hoping Jaguar was one of those manufacturers.

Thanks
HI June16,

Continental have advised that they do not stock the approved tyres in the UK. However, upon contacting them they would be able to place orders.

Alternatively on their website you can find stockists local to you that have the approved Continental tyres in stock. Please follow the link below.

https://www.continental-tyres.co.uk/car/tyres?cartype=car&season=winter

Please note that the approved tyre is the TS 850 P.

Thanks,

Becci

#22 ·
I contacted Pirelli regarding the 265/40 R22 winter tyre and the response is clear:

contactcentertyres.uk@pirelli.com
08:47 (5 hours ago)
to me, claimsandtechnicalenquiries.uk

Good morning Garry,

Thank you for your email.

I can confirm that in the size 265/40R22 with the load and speed of 106W, the Pirelli Scorpion winter has been approved by Jaguar and homologated (tailor made) for the Jaguar F-Pace and also, the I-Pace and Range Rover Velar.

Kind regards,
Sam

#23 ·
CS@Jaguar said:
June16 said:
CS@Jaguar said:
Hi June16,

Thanks, Becci
Thanks Becci,

Thanks
HI June16,

Continental have advised that they do not stock the approved tyres in the UK. However, upon contacting them they would be able to place orders.

Alternatively on their website you can find stockists local to you that have the approved Continental tyres in stock. Please follow the link below.

Thanks,

Becci
But there in lies the problem Becci.

If you put my car in Continentals own site that you linked to, it is a 25t which is the 184kw AWD This then does not give you the option of 19 inch rims.

Even when you contact suppliers you hit the same issue .
Whilst it's poosible to get a set of Continental 850p from many sights none are listed as approved for Jaguar. Only by special order.

Is this something the "tyres" department is aware of.i.e recommending tyres we can't get , and that Continental dont stock in the UK?

I find it hard to believe that Jaguar recommend tyres for 19 inch rims that are not available, even when you contact local suppliers.

Is it any wonder folks are just putting non OE tyres on ?

It seems it s Pirelli or nothing which isn't a good choice.

Font Screenshot Software Rectangle Electronic device

Attachments

#24 ·
CS@Jaguar said:
June16 said:
CS@Jaguar said:
Hi June16,

Thanks, Becci
Thanks Becci,

Thanks
HI June16,

Thanks,

Becci
Oh and as for Michelin Alpin LA 2 , Michelin don't appera to have those either for winter.
Product Font Screenshot Technology Web page

Attachments

#25 ·
June16 said:
CS@Jaguar said:
June16 said:
Thanks Becci,

Thanks
HI June16,

Thanks,

Becci
But there in lies the problem Becci.

If you put my car in Continentals own site that you linked to, it is a 25t which is the 184kw AWD This then does not give you the option of 19 inch rims.

Even when you contact suppliers you hit the same issue .
Whilst it's poosible to get a set of Continental 850p from many sights none are listed as approved for Jaguar. Only by special order.

Is this something the "tyres" department is aware of.i.e recommending tyres we can't get , and that Continental dont stock in the UK?

I find it hard to believe that Jaguar recommend tyres for 19 inch rims that are not available, even when you contact local suppliers.

Is it any wonder folks are just putting non OE tyres on ?

It seems it s Pirelli or nothing which isn't a good choice.

7A569AFF-B034-433C-BFAC-CD4EE1C5222D.png
Hi June 16,

I can confirm that the relevant area of the business have been made aware of your concerns, with reference to the availability of Jaguar approved tyres.

The Tyre manufacturers have also been notified. Unfortunately at this moment in time, I am unable to comment further.

Should any further information become available I will ensure that the details are posted within the forum.

Apologise for any inconvenience that this may cause.

Thank,

Becci

#26 ·
Thanks Becci,

Hi Becci ,
I escalated this to Continental tyres re the 850P too, please see their answer below , they are continuing to investigate too.and have now escalated to their OE department re approval 🤔.
If I get an update Ill let you know.

Thanks

From Continental.
The information I have is a little unclear. It says in the notes "Phase 2 Jaguar, Land Rover" but does not show that it has the "J" or "LR" marking.
I will contact our OE people and try to get clarification.

Regards

Mr Gwyn Fennell
(Technical Service Manager UK & Ireland)

Visitors Address:
Continental Tyre Group Ltd
DC2 Castle Mound Way
Rugby
United Kingdom
CV23 0WB

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.