Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

Thinking of buying an Fpace ex demonstrator

4K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  Postl 
#1 ·
Hi, I'm thinking of buying an fpace, but the finances likely mean it will be a nearly new/ ex demonstrator.

Would anyone be so kind to pass on their feedback of the 180bhp and 240bhp diesels, automatic R-Sport?
I like a car with bit of zip having driven BMW's.

Also is the 'touch' ok or 'touch Pro' system much better?
If I was building to order, I'd likely go for larger screen, but is it a deal breaker if the demo car has the standard?

Thanks

#2 ·
Hi

I drove both those engines and was underwhelmed, ended up going for the 3.0D. The petrol 2.5t is decent enough though. In terms of ICT Pro I held out until I found a car which had it. Glad I did. I got it updated to vs4 and appreciate the functionality, the look and feel and it is straight forward to use. IMHO it is worth it and also future proofs the car as upgrades will keep coming.

#3 ·
I would also commend the 3.0d. All the grunt you will need and then some. Had a test drive in 240bhp diesel and found it noisy under acceleration and the 3.0d is streets ahead. If you can stretch to it, it's well worth it. The 2.5 petrol has also had good feedback on here. MPG on 3.0d is pretty amazing if driven sensibly and over 40mpg is actually achievable using cruise.

#4 ·
Mine's an ex-demonstrator. I'm not going to comment on the 180 vs 240 diesel as I only drove the 180 and it was just fine for what i needed.

But in terms of ICT vs ICT Pro it is the one thing I wish was different on my otherwise lovely FPace.

I have the ICT and it does feel a little dated. The basic SatNav doesn't seem to update that well for traffic incidents (at least compared to Google). I would have liked the ability to change the dash layout, and the larger screen, that comes with ICTP. The basic interface for streaming music on ICT is ugly (but works) and the InControl App that gives you Spotify connectivity is a bit glitchy. For example, if you have the Spotify album art up and then change screens (e.g to adjust the seat heating), when you go back to the music it has reverted to the basic interface, not the InControl Spotify you were previously displaying.

There are rumours that Jaguar will be releasing Apple CarPlay and Android Auto which would make a big difference to my enjoyment BUT, unfortunately, I think it will only work with ICTP, not the basic ICT system. Fingers crossed though.

In short, for me at least, getting ICTP would be better if you can find an ex-demo with it, but I wouldn't actually say it was a deal breaker. Definitely have a play with both at the dealership though.

#5 ·
The 180 performance is adequate for solo or two up although it's not especially quiet, four up with luggage and you realise it is just " adequate", it is a large heavy car. Can't comment on the 240 but others mention noise. Drive the 3.0D and it is a quantum leap, plenty of performance, very quiet cruising and 40 mpg+ on a trip, if you drive one you will want one!.

#7 ·
240 (which I have) is a great engine although as has been noted, you have to keep it in the rev range to truly benefit from the performance and if you are wanting to overtake, you will have to time it i.e. put your foot down a couple of seconds earlier than you would in the 3.0D. The 3.0 is "effortless" and instantly powerful (well more instant than the 240 for sure).

It actually sounds very nice when you get the revs up.

Price performance wise at the time, the increase in value (performance per £) from 180-240 was bigger than the increase from 240 to 3.0D and my budget settled on it.

The 240 is much lighter at the front end and it is noticeable when pushing on. I can definitely get in and carry more speed out of a corner than in the 3.0D.

However that's pretty much a moot point as the brakes fade on these cars too quickly for any lengthy spirited driving.

The 240 is great (nearly 18k miles on mine) and I am still very happy with it and the performance. Economy is 42 mpg average.

SWMBO has a Tiguan R-Line with the equivalent of an ICTP. Once its setup how you like it, I never adjust anything. Couldnt see the point in extra screens and gizmos I dont use. I dont use half of the ones on the ICT. Sat Nav is "ok". Its got me around Europe and all over the UK just fine. Music plays and works great from the USB and DAB. Information display is fine for my needs. Yeah you have to press the buttons twice sometimes but I like the simplicity of it. Other people will have this much higher up their priority list of course but my point is, it does its job. Its "ok".

If you do any mileage at all, make sure the car has adjustable lumbar. Its an extra and may not be fitted.

Summary: Always buy the biggest you can afford right? If money was no object I would have had the 3.0D no problem at all. Its a no brainer. However, I am perfectly happy with the 240 which is faster than the vast majority (180's) of F-Pace's and other SUV's on the road.

#8 ·
I would say drive the 180 (which is what i have), if your are happy with that go with it, if you would like more punch then try the 240 if that still doesn't float your boat as it were then try the 3ltr. No rush go with what makes best financial sense to you.

I have the ICT and to be fair im reasonably happy with it, however, i do agree with above its no more than adequate, does the job. if i had the chance again i would upgrade.

Paul

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.