Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

Car Tax

20K views 37 replies 11 participants last post by  Bob a 
#1 ·
I got my tax renewal notification a few weeks back, its a good job i was sat down when i opened it. £450 for 12 months :eek: Its the first time the tax on my car has been more expensive than the insurance. The first 12 months was paid by the dealer so it's the first time ive had a renewal notice.

Ive not noticed any topics on here with regards the cost of the tax so must be me just a little naive :roll:

Paul

#2 ·
Hi Paul, there has been some discussion on this in the past, you have the excitement to see this bill coming through the door for the first 5 you pay yourself i.e. up til year 6.

#5 ·
big jon said:
RaVolVoR said:
Unless you buy the base model with no extras.... all cars over £40k get this wealth tax
Or you buy a second hand pre April 1st 2017 registered car.
Fair point but for a first renewal now, that means it's post 1 April 17. I really fancy swapping to something with a supercharged 5.0 v8.... but the basic road tax is bad enough let alone with this extra! It hasn't stopped me looking though ! :)

#6 ·
I got a similar letter yesterday and wasn't shocked to be fair. My previous Range Rover was £500 pa and as another post said, this is the way expensive cars are taxed. I just factor it in, lets face it in the context of the price of the car £450 is relative peanuts.

#8 ·
JOCK55 said:
Sorry, I disagree! £450.00 is a hell of a lot when you get nothing tangible for it.

Jock
100% right Jock. However i knew the cost at the time i bought the motor so it was my choice to continue. Not that i enjoy paying it when it comes through the door.

#9 ·
All new cars over 40K list are subject to a £310 hike on the basic car tax which is £140 for most of the 2.0 F-Pace's. It is like this for the first 5 years of the car. so basically any AWD F-Pace is hit by this hike. This is the same price I paid for a 2006 3.0 BMW X3 without a DPF. The dealer didn't tell me I found this out looking at tax cost details on the gov web site.

#11 ·
This measure reforms Vehicle Excise Duty (VED) for cars first registered from 1 April 2017 onwards. First Year Rates (FYRs) of VED will vary according to the carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions of the vehicle. A flat Standard Rate (SR) of £140 will apply in all subsequent years, except for zero-emission cars for which the SR will be £0. Cars with a list price above £40,000 will attract a supplement of £310 on their SR for the first 5 years in which a SR is paid. All cars first registered before 1 April 2017 will remain in the current VED system, which will not change. The new rates and bands for the post-2017 VED system are set out in the table below:
So no change to my March 2017 F Pace £140

#12 ·
Sevenoaksbull said:
I got a similar letter yesterday and wasn't shocked to be fair. My previous Range Rover was £500 pa and as another post said, this is the way expensive cars are taxed. I just factor it in, lets face it in the context of the price of the car £450 is relative peanuts.
I wish i was a pound behind you as £450 is certainly not relevant peanuts to me i don't care how much the car was. It is however now water under the bridge, ive checked insurance costs in the past but not tax to be fair.

Paul

#13 ·
Barthog said:
This measure reforms Vehicle Excise Duty (VED) for cars first registered from 1 April 2017 onwards. First Year Rates (FYRs) of VED will vary according to the carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions of the vehicle. A flat Standard Rate (SR) of £140 will apply in all subsequent years, except for zero-emission cars for which the SR will be £0. Cars with a list price above £40,000 will attract a supplement of £310 on their SR for the first 5 years in which a SR is paid. All cars first registered before 1 April 2017 will remain in the current VED system, which will not change. The new rates and bands for the post-2017 VED system are set out in the table below:
So no change to my March 2017 F Pace £140
So if i would have bought my car in March 2017 instead of July it would have been £140.

Paul

#14 ·
JOCK55 said:
Sorry, I disagree! £450.00 is a hell of a lot when you get nothing tangible for it.

Jock
Couldn't agree more Jock.

Paul

#15 ·
The only silver lining is a lot Toyotas and Lexus hybrid models which were on a lot cheaper tax or no tax are now on higher bands because all their values were adjusted due to WLTP so they are paying as much as we are now.

#16 ·
Postl said:
JOCK55 said:

Jock

Paul
Well I seem to have stirred a response...... all I was saying is we have chosen an expensive car, so expect everything that comes with it to be expensive. If you resent paying £450 in VED buy a car at sub £40k. Over a year £450 is nothing and I don't begrudge it. I reassure myself that the total I pay through various taxes is probably enough to pay for a senior nurse at the hospital I have to visit regularly.

#17 ·
Look at it this way, Pay it by monthly direct debit and its 'only' £37.50 a month. My old 2.0l Titanium X Mondeo was £190 a year or about £16 per month so I just think my new car is so much better (obviously) and the tax is only an extra £21.50 a month, a more affordable figure than just looking at a £450 bill. Almost good value viewed that way!

#19 ·
[/quote]

So if i would have bought my car in March 2017 instead of July it would have been £140.

Paul
[/quote]

It's not when you bought the car, but about when it was registered ....

Another way to look at this, which I know will 'stir' some emotions:)..... Early adopters got a better deal on annual car tax, but more likely to have had issues with their cars which meant they were not using them! So pound per mile, later adopters are more likely to get better value for money :)

#20 ·
Sevenoaksbull said:
Postl said:
JOCK55 said:

Jock

Paul
Well I seem to have stirred a response...... all I was saying is we have chosen an expensive car, so expect everything that comes with it to be expensive. If you resent paying £450 in VED buy a car at sub £40k. Over a year £450 is nothing and I don't begrudge it. I reassure myself that the total I pay through various taxes is probably enough to pay for a senior nurse at the hospital I have to visit regularly.
The only thing i do agree with is that we have chosen an expensive car and some things e.g manufacturers extras, servicing cost will be more expensive, However, my insurance quote this year considering the price of my car was quite reasonable. I think we will just have to differ on the tax even more so now i know the same car registered only a few month before mine was £140.

I worked for the Health Service for 38 years mate and as you i do hope your various taxes does help to pay for a senior nurse somewhere.

Paul

#21 ·
AndyS said:
It's not when you bought the car, but about when it was registered ....

Another way to look at this, which I know will 'stir' some emotions:)..... Early adopters got a better deal on annual car tax, but more likely to have had issues with their cars which meant they were not using them! So pound per mile, later adopters are more likely to get better value for money :)

Now thats a good way to look at it i feel much better about it now as my Jag to date has been faultless (ive done it now haven't I :oops: ). Thank you Andy.
Now i don't want anyone who's only paying £140 quid to come and tell me how brilliant there car has been please.

Paul

#22 ·
My early Fpace only has 3g connectivity, so I get slower data. Also dealer tells me voice control of navigation does not apply to my early car... Hence my lower tax is clearly merited. Not sure updating car to solve these is worth the extra tax.

#23 ·
I see your point, but you are driving a Jag that even though you have already paid 40k plus for the privilege you should really be paying the extra tax mate :D :D :D.

#24 ·
3G we're stuck with, but voice control for nav, text messages etc is available via ICTP updates and works on mine....

£315 to renew this year.... A bit of a waste as so far it's been in the dealers for over 3 months since last November. But always good to keep the mileage down.

The very thorough investigations into my ICTP have shown that even new cars all have the same faults as mine, so I'll take the cheaper road tax in lieu of Caesium Blue

#25 ·
RaVolVoR said:
My early Fpace only has 3g connectivity, so I get slower data. Also dealer tells me voice control of navigation does not apply to my early car... Hence my lower tax is clearly merited. Not sure updating car to solve these is worth the extra tax.
Sorry but that has nothing to do with the level of road tax you pay.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.