Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

Hello and Gear selection issue

10K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  MrPix 
#1 ·
Good afternoon all - having had someone run in the back of the XF and written it off I have changed car and changed forums. I was given a cheque for £13000 and one week to buy a car - I had decided to change to an F Pace when the time came but it was forced upon me and given the one week timespan I now have a 12 month old R Sport 180ps with a few extras.
I have one intermittent problem - the following happens sometimes (not always but on most journeys) - pull up at the lights, electric park brake on, place car in neutral - lights change to green, foot on brake but gear selector won't go into drive - put into reverse then back through neutral into drive and away - it has happened twice that the selector is temporarily locked in neutral as in it won't go into reverse - then after a few seconds it seems to clear .... any ideas - is it me? - never had this problem with the XF - still got 22 months warranty - Regards
Bob

#2 ·
Next time try ( when in neutral) lift your foot off brake pedal and put back on brake pedal and try to change to Drive, might just be a faulty sensor for foot brake not allowing the shift?

I'd see the dealer anyway so they have the fault looked into and logged , you don't want to get stuck whereby it doesn't shift at all.

#3 ·
I've never done that in an automatic, it's always pull up at lights, hold on the footbrake, footbrake off and acellerate away. With the Fpace its pull up at the lights, engine stops then starts when you release the footbrake.
What do others do?.

#4 ·
Get in car

Switch stop/ start off .....I hate it with a vengeance ,saves no fuel designed for emmisions testing.

Stop at traffic lights ,foot on brake:
if long stop pop it in neutral, put handbrake on , take foot off brake , don't blind the folks behind, don't warp the discs either.
if short stop just foot on brake , then drive off.

Just before light goes green foot on brake , turn to drive and drive off.

#5 ·
Stop, foot on brake, engine stop, move foot off break engine starts, put foot on accelerator and drive off.

#6 ·
Like others first on starting car turn auto stop/start off.
At traffic lights , stop by using brake pedal, if longer stop anticipated use electronic hand brake. Keep in Drive mode all the while ( personally never use neutral just drive, reverse or park) and when lights change just accelerate away.

#7 ·
June16 said:
Get in car

Switch stop/ start off .....I hate it with a vengeance ,saves no fuel designed for emmisions testing.

Stop at traffic lights ,foot on brake:
if long stop pop it in neutral, put handbrake on , take foot off brake , don't blind the folks behind, don't warp the discs either.
if short stop just foot on brake , then drive off.

Just before light goes green foot on brake , turn to drive and drive off.
100% agree & this is how I've driven all automatics (including the clutchless manual Smart) since I first got one 16 years ago. If I'm caught by a level crossing I sometimes turn on the auto stop/start, but otherwise I'd like to rip it's little, digital heart out....

Most of the time sitting in Drive with foot on the brake more fuel is being used to keep it there.

Technically it is illegal to sit at lights with your foot on the brake, but then so is driving with your fog lights on.....

One golden rule is to always manually disengage the park brake before moving off.

Unless you want to fork out £400 quid to replace the little pads every 3 years.....

#8 ·
Hi
Had the same problem, sometimes when in the carwash, car in neutral at the end of the line I tryed to put it in drive. That was impossible, gear lever blocked.

At first I was told that I didn't push hard enough on the brake, pretty unpleasant experience buildig cue in the wash.
This happened more times but not always, I was then sure that brake was pushed to the maximum.

They changed moment transfer in the gearbox (don't know the englisch correct word for it)

After that I have had no problems.

#9 ·
Thanks everybody - I live in Chester but bought the car from Rybrook in Warrington as I know the salesman - it performed faultlessly yesterday - I'll take it back to Warrington and get it looked at and report back in due course ..
Regarding the legality of sitting with your foot on the foot brake I didn't know that is is technically illegal - it appears that http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1989/1796/regulation/27/made covers lights causing discomfort to other road users - brake lights are not specifically mentioned so I assume it is caught by Regulation 27 (11) - any other lamp ...
I always manually disengage the park brake - don't like the idea of the car moving whilst the brake is engaged every time.
Regards
Bob

#10 ·
Bobbyjay said:
Thanks everybody - I live in Chester but bought the car from Rybrook in Warrington as I know the salesman - it performed faultlessly yesterday - I'll take it back to Warrington and get it looked at and report back in due course ..
Regarding the legality of sitting with your foot on the foot brake I didn't know that is is technically illegal - it appears that http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1989/1796/regulation/27/made covers lights causing discomfort to other road users - brake lights are not specifically mentioned so I assume it is caught by Regulation 27 (11) - any other lamp ...
I always manually disengage the park brake - don't like the idea of the car moving whilst the brake is engaged every time.
Regards
Bob
Yup - 'Any Other Lamp'

It's a fascinating one as all with automatics, who sit at lights with their foot on the brake pedal dazzling the car behind are in theory commiting an offence. Me included.

About 5 years ago there was a lot of discussion if these stop/start systems were actually legal as they encouraged you to do just that. A friend of mine who was traffic officer at the time said he wasn't aware of anyone being charged, but it was technically possible..

The park/hand brake will automatically disengage when you move forward at a set torque, and most probably do this (a RR salesman was surprised at me manually turning it off during a test drive, saying 'you don't need to do that you know?' - oh yes you do!)

It won't do any harm other than wearing away the pads prematurely. If they are like the Range Rover ones, they are small, difficult to get to and disproportionately expensive....

#11 ·
I too had heard that it is an offence to cause undue dazzle by having your foot on the brake, but only if there is somebody directly pulled up behind you and also stopped and it is between sunset and sunrise. I would argue that until that series of events meets a true condition, it is not safe to sit in a stationary vehicle without showing to the people that may be approaching from behind that you are stationary. Save from having Jeeves get out and wave a red flag at traffic lights, I find applying my foot downwards on the footbrake a much more convenient way of achieving this, notwithstanding the ease of then making haste once more after the road ahead is clear and I am able to carry onwards by a simply lift of my foot and transfer of it's weight to the right, proportionate to the environment ahead.

This is my 4th Jag and the rear pads seem to be worn quicker by the ASL than any separate EPB pad that may be present and I rarely manually release the damn thing, although I do tend to lift it up at traffic lights once the car behind is stopped.

Agree on the start/stop... I find it frustrating in slow moving traffic (all the other cars except F-Paces of course slowing down to look at my lovely car)

#12 ·
MrPix said:
I too had heard that it is an offence to cause undue dazzle by having your foot on the brake, but only if there is somebody directly pulled up behind you and also stopped and it is between sunset and sunrise.

Not True. The offence can occur at any time day or night. It's the UK. Rain often fall during daylight hours. Annoyingly.

Highway Code Rule 114

You MUST NOT:

use any lights in a way which would dazzle or cause discomfort to other road users, including pedestrians, cyclists and horse riders
use front or rear fog lights unless visibility is seriously reduced. You MUST switch them off when visibility improves to avoid dazzling other road users (see Rule 226).

In stationary queues of traffic, drivers should apply the parking brake and, once the following traffic has stopped, take their foot off the footbrake to deactivate the vehicle brake lights. This will minimise glare to road users behind until the traffic moves again.
Law RVLR reg 27

I would argue that until that series of events meets a true condition, it is not safe to sit in a stationary vehicle without showing to the people that may be approaching from behind that you are stationary. Save from having Jeeves get out and wave a red flag at traffic lights, I find applying my foot downwards on the footbrake a much more convenient way of achieving this, notwithstanding the ease of then making haste once more after the road ahead is clear and I am able to carry onwards by a simply lift of my foot and transfer of it's weight to the right, proportionate to the environment ahead.

Again, your interpretation/argument has no foundation in law. To sit at a junction with your foot on brake pedal and handbrake not activated can, and has been, interpreted as not being in full control of your vehicle. As explained to me, if you are rear- the impact can, and does knock the foot off the pedal.

This is my 4th Jag and the rear pads seem to be worn quicker by the ASL than any separate EPB pad that may be present and I rarely manually release the damn thing, although I do tend to lift it up at traffic lights once the car behind is stopped.

I'm offering advice to others based on my personal experience, I'm not really bothered if anyone takes note of it. I've owned 6 Jags & still own 3, but none of them are similar in anyway to the F Pace. Being Jaguar's first SUV and all that..... If the F Pace's brakes work in the same way as the Range Rover Sport set-up, then good luck....

Agree on the start/stop... I find it frustrating in slow moving traffic (all the other cars except F-Paces of course slowing down to look at my lovely car)
The legality of it all is pretty irrelevant anyway. If they can't catch you with an ANPR or a speed camera/gun they ain't bothered anyway.

#13 ·
so sue me :) I've never been stopped and charged yet... as you allude to, it's a moot point really and I do apply the handbrake once the following traffic has stopped but rarely take my foot off the footbrake as having being rammed at 75mph whilst stationary at a set of red traffic lights years ago and being cut out of the car, I decided that would be my interpretation going forwards. The car at the time had the handbrake only applied and yet was catapulted to the other side of the crossroads and into some railings where I was spun around whilst unconscious in to the flow of traffic from two sides. needless to say, I am more cautious nowadays and interpret the law almost to the letter, I just may not apply every word of it, 22 years on.

Rarely do I sit at a traffic light for more than a minute in my neck of the woods, so that's probably the most common context for me.

Not really bothered about if I have to replace the pads or not, it's a small price to pay in the scheme of things, but appreciate your advice.

Please note at no point have I said in this or the previous post that you are wrong in any way, so no need to be so defensive.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.