Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

Installing a Blackvue Dash cam

29K views 41 replies 15 participants last post by  Djmc321 
#1 ·
Here are some notes (attached PDF file) I made for installing a dash cam, this model is a twin camera set up one front one rear facing. Hopefully it will help anyone trying something similar.

Attachments

#27 ·
Had a Blackvue 750 2ch installed on Friday but the rear camera is causing DAB signal issues. As soon as I disconnect the rear cam all is fine again. I'll be getting back in touch with the installer, but wondered if anyone else has similar issues, or can recommend a cable run for the rear cam which doesn't kill the DAB reception?

#28 ·
I just went from the front cam (mounted behind rear view mirror) across front of windscreen (tucked into headlining) then across tops of doors and down around the seatbelt on driver side and through roof lining to rear hatch hinge, through rubber tubing to hatch and out to rear cam mounted on centre top of rear glass !

#29 ·
I had a blackvue 750 2ch with power magic pro professionally installed recently. All wires hidden, no DAB issues. I did have the rear camera installed just above bottom of screen to get around the problem others have mentioned about the top being a sealed unit which it is. I quite liked the idea of being bottom of screen, not only do I have no wires showing anywhere with the installation but also the rear camera & cabling is as far away as it could be from the cars radio/satelite receiver on roof which greatly reduces DAB inteference or in my case I don't have any at all. Who did your installation?

#30 ·
mike72uk said:
through roof lining to rear hatch hinge, through rubber tubing to hatch and out to rear cam mounted on centre top of rear glass !
That's exactly how/where my installers mounted my rear. Strange that you're not seeing issues. Did you go through the left or right tubing? Also, did you use any ferrite cores to shield the cable at all?

#31 ·
Djmc321 said:
mike72uk said:
through roof lining to rear hatch hinge, through rubber tubing to hatch and out to rear cam mounted on centre top of rear glass !
That's exactly how/where my installers mounted my rear. Strange that you're not seeing issues. Did you go through the left or right tubing? Also, did you use any ferrite cores to shield the cable at all?
I went through the right hand tubing as you look into the boot. Cable runs down drivers side across top (inside roof lining above doors) drops down B pilar and crosses from front to back about 1/2 way down (where the joint in the trim is - overlap) then back up rear door over the top and through roof liner to rear hatch hinge !

No Ferrite cores used as far as I can remember, and I have no issues.

Considering the polarising covers though (for front certainly) to try to reduce the reflections from the windscreen. Have you updated to latest firmware (1.005 I think)

#32 ·
At the risk of appearing dumb - there are already front and rear facing cameras on my car for the traffic sign detection and reversing. Would it be beyond the wit of man/Jaguar to provide a recording function? Or am I missing the point somehow?

#33 ·
The traffic detection camera probably using some machine vision based camera which works differently to a standard HD video one. There isn't the storage in the ICT system either. I agree though that it seems like all the tech could be incorporated by car companies, especially those with proper 360 cameras mounted. Maybe if dash cams keep rising in popularity we'll start seeing it as a pricey option once they figure out that there's a market there.

Thanks to the others for the feedback, I'll be getting in touch with the installer today tomsee what can be done.

#34 ·
I raised this in 2026 when I got my car... dashcams are fine but adding it to the new spec using existing cameras would be a lot more useful than colour changing interior lighting ( nice as that might be!).

The car manufacturers often get priorities wrong but presumably set by current car trends. "Safety won't sell" they said....

#35 ·
mike72uk said:
I went through the right hand tubing as you look into the boot. Cable runs down drivers side across top (inside roof lining above doors) drops down B pilar and crosses from front to back about 1/2 way down (where the joint in the trim is - overlap) then back up rear door over the top and through roof liner to rear hatch hinge !

No Ferrite cores used as far as I can remember, and I have no issues.

Considering the polarising covers though (for front certainly) to try to reduce the reflections from the windscreen. Have you updated to latest firmware (1.005 I think)
Thanks, it's going back to installers next week to have a look. Out of interest did you also install the power magic pro? I did, but we had someone enter the car last week whilst we were inside for a short time (my own fault I don't think I locked car :roll: ), but the camera didn't detect or record anything in parking mode. Come to think of it, I'm not I've ever seen the 750 ever go into parking mode or record anything whilst not driving?

#36 ·
Hi Djmc321,

I did indeed also install the PMP, wired to the passenger footwell fuse box with a couple of fuse taps. I used PF04 (Diagnostics - 5A Brown) for permanent live and PF07 (Second row auxiliary power socket - 20A yellow) for switched live. PMP fixed to underside of glovebox area in passenger footwell.

You need to set the cut-off threshold to the PMP. I'll have a look shorty to see what mine is set to. She does record unpacking mode, as I have the front LED set to on in Parking mode, and I can connect tot he camera's (as they connect to the home wi-fi when in the garage)

Also, with the latest firmware, it will auto upload a recording to the cloud service if an impact is detected in normal mode (while driving)

I certainly have had recordings captured in parking mode, most often when returning to the vehicle and opening her up which triggers an impact alert and associated recording capture !

Regards,
Mike

#37 ·
mike72uk said:
You need to set the cut-off threshold to the PMP. I'll have a look shorty to see what mine is set to. She does record unpacking mode, as I have the front LED set to on in Parking mode, and I can connect tot he camera's (as they connect to the home wi-fi when in the garage)
Hi Mike, thanks for the details. I'm back at the installers tomorrow to fix the DAB signal issues and parking mode/PMP not working. If you can share the toggle switch settings for the PMP that would be great, as it would help rule out issues on my side. For what it's worth I can see the green light on the PMP which suggests it's on and driving power to the cam, right?

#38 ·

Attachments

#39 ·
I have known two pmp modules expire one inside a month the other after 4 months or so. Green light stays on but output voltage dies. One was installed professionally and was replaced after that month. The other I installed and was binned! I've bought a similar product but haven't had enthusiasm to install it yet! Was thinking of powering both the dash cam and a mobile 4g hot spot since my car has naff 3g only!

#40 ·
mike72uk said:
I have my cut-off set at 12v as per the first image below:
I found the problem thanks to your prior fuse-wiring post. They'd connected the live to the cigarette lighter, which worked perfectly in initial tests but the power cuts off a minute after the doors lock. So the parking mode was never enabled as the PMP didn't have power. Whenever I opened the doors to check the light, of course the power came back on and the light on the PMP was active! Suffice to say I copied your approach of wiring to the OBD port and all is working perfectly, I woke up to 15+ motion notifications as the cloud service stayed active all night (need to dial that motion sensitivity down!).

I just got back from the installers regarding the DAB signal issues with the rear camera, turns out after they checked it all over it was a faulty cable that was leaking interference to the radio. They had a spare BV-750 in stock that they could test a separate cable, and radio works perfectly now. Very happy to get it all resolved, thanks again for your information though it really helped track down my issues!

#41 ·
Djmc321 said:
mike72uk said:
I have my cut-off set at 12v as per the first image below:
I found the problem thanks to your prior fuse-wiring post. They'd connected the live to the cigarette lighter, which worked perfectly in initial tests but the power cuts off a minute after the doors lock. So the parking mode was never enabled as the PMP didn't have power. Whenever I opened the doors to check the light, of course the power came back on and the light on the PMP was active! Suffice to say I copied your approach of wiring to the OBD port and all is working perfectly, I woke up to 15+ motion notifications as the cloud service stayed active all night (need to dial that motion sensitivity down!).

I just got back from the installers regarding the DAB signal issues with the rear camera, turns out after they checked it all over it was a faulty cable that was leaking interference to the radio. They had a spare BV-750 in stock that they could test a separate cable, and radio works perfectly now. Very happy to get it all resolved, thanks again for your information though it really helped track down my issues!
Glad you're all sorted Djmc321,

That was a schoolboy error on your installers behalf regarding the fuse selection, but I seem to recall the image on the fusebox possibly being printed upside down so maybe they have some excuse!

Yeah that motion detection is pretty sensitive, and because the door from our utility to garage is at the back of the garage, and the bin is in the garage, every time we open the door to chuck something away the motion detection kicks in, so I've turned it off and will only use it when parked out somewhere.

Be interesting to see how you get one with it, as I find that even in normal mode, it's very sensitive and I have all 3 axis sensitivity dialled down to between 3 and 4 and still get alerts while simply going round a roundabout or over a small speed bump (slowly I may add) !
I have the parking mode sensitivity set to 8 or 9 (higher = more sensitive)

Regards,
Mike

#42 ·
Bumping this thread back up as I'm having issues again in parking mode. I finally got around to testing the fuse output with a multimeter and I'm only getting 11.7/11.9v off the battery when the ignition is off. So not enough to keep the Power Magic Pro on in parking mode. I've also been getting occasional low battery warnings on the dashboard and auto start/stop no longer works so I think the battery is draining too low and not holding charge even after long journeys unfortunately. I'm due in for service in the next few weeks, so I'll see if they can replace or sort the battery in the first instance. But I fear the BlackVue has damaged the battery with running it down too often in parking mode.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.