Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

1st Time Potential Buyer

3K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  dw-fp-jag 
#1 ·
Can anyone offer advise on two choices i am struggling with:

(a) Buy new or (b) search a decent "approved" pre -owned.

Focusing on a 2.0l AWD Diesel automatic.
I can get an entry level for circa 37,000, or a high spec , "approved for 32-35.
Whats the lesser of the two evils ??

#2 ·
If going through the approved route you need to ask whether the car is a rejected car from the original owner as some early F-Pace cars were rejected under the 2015 Consumer protection laws. As far as we on the forum can tell the rejected cars have simply been put up for sale with the defect(s) still there.

I would ask the Dealers to respond to you by email or letter saying that the vehicle has not been rejected by a previous owner and if possible contact the previous owner to confirm there were no issues with the car. Some of the defects that cars have been rejected for do not currently have a solution and therefore without this protection you could end up with a defective car that can't be corrected.

#3 ·
Jim said:
....you could end up with a defective car that can't be corrected.
That could be true of either an 'approved used' or a brand new vehicle . . . in that respect it's a bit like playing roulette. You just have to minimise your chances of getting a duffer.

Best advice, if thinking of getting a pre-owned vehicle, take it out for a thorough extended test drive and check everything all around the car visually, inside and out. If you find anything you're not happy with or don't think is right, don't put up with it, just move on to another vehicle. There is no shortage of choice out there!

#5 ·
Go for new, there are a lot fewer reports of issues on 2018 models.

#6 ·
Hi

Depending how old you are looking at used. I initially went for a used vehicle, around six months old. By taking the Jag finance pack, and paying it off straightaway, there was only around £1500 difference if I remember correctly. SWMBO just had the same with a mew VW Golf. The dealers are obviously desperate to get the new sales figures.

#7 ·
There are plenty of low mileage S/H FPaces out there, test drive a few before you make a decision, some have been rejected others traded by disappointed owners, depreciation has been high. There have been plenty of outstanding faults that have not been rectified under warranty but as others have said 2018 cars seem to have less problems, many retailers simply refuse an extended test drive, walk away from them. Probably the best bet is a genuine ex demonstrator from a Jaguar dealer, on a new car discounts of £3000 plus are available and some dealers will have pre built cars, you may find a pre owned car is no cheaper.

The car I have now is a good one but along the way my opinion of Jaguar customer service became close to zero, if they can lie their way out of an issue they will.

#8 ·
If test driving any F Pace diesel, new or pre-owned, watch out for a vibration through the accelerator pedal or your resting foot at around 30/50/70mph. Jaguar don't have a fix for it and and are very disingenuous in trying to say its a characteristic of the engine. It clearly isn't as only a minority of cars suffer from it and its not mentioned in any of the brochures. Walk away if you feel that vibration.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.