Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

Problems with the condition of my drivers seat Leather

34K views 67 replies 35 participants last post by  zarakoff 
#1 ·
New F pace 1st Edition.
Only 5 months old and 5000mls and already there is significant deterioration of the leather of my drivers seat.
Anyone else encountering a similar problem?

Attachments

See less See more
#28 ·
TBH, that's what I was thinking too. If we want seats with sports side bolsters then I am afraid we need to be careful too about the way we get in and out of the thing. Sad but true, same with my current Volvo R-design seats.

Arianne

#29 ·
^ Hmmmm ... seats are not that dissimilar from the sports seats in my Evoque. I wear jeans with belt all the time and those seats looked as good after 4 years / 45,000 miles as the day they were new and I didn't do anything other than wipe a cloth over them once a year.

#30 ·
I to wear jeans almost all of the time but I make sure that I don't buy jeans with metal buttons on the rear pockets or sharp studs on the edges, they are the killers! I did have one pair of jeans that I promptly discarded after badly scoring the leather bolster on my previous F-Type R!

I also find the leather looks fine after a couple of years use but I must disagree unless it is vinyl or cloth it will crease in certain areas, just like we do! :(

#31 ·
Davel, are you short in height?? Question of mechanics here?? Taller people may have seat further back so they are kind of leaning forward and to the side to enter/ exit seat. Having seat closer to the wheel may create more friction as the person simply pivots around the bolster cushion. Particularly if opposite side is fine.

#33 ·
Mbadger77 said:
Yes it's a problem. 3/4 of my seats are badly fitting and drivers is creased - 1000 miles and issues.
Mine getting changed but a long lead time as a shortage funny enough.

Any pictures Davel ?
They have agreed to change mine but as with yourself I have been advised it could take a while. Up to 3 months.

#34 ·
JLRnumber5 said:
DaveI said:
DaveI said:
New F pace 1st Edition.
Only 5 months old and 5000mls and already there is significant deterioration of the leather of my drivers seat.
Anyone else encountering a similar problem?
Hey Davel. Those are shockingly bad. You might expect that after 50,000 miles not 5,000. Your dealer will surely sort straight away no questions asked.
Jaguar have agreed to replace but it could take up to 3 months.

#35 ·
TBW said:
View attachment 2846

Same here, had an XFS before with 160000km and no such issue.
American here... I have (had) the exact same problem with my FE's white Windsor leather driver's seat! A hole developed on the side, almost exactly like yours! I brought it to my dealer this week and it was repaired within a couple of hours. Replacing the whole cushion with an identical one is ridiculous. The same thing will happen again. My dealer said it would be a 20-minute fix, although it took closer to two hours. I swear I can't tell the hole was every there. The mechanics can't fix it. My dealer calls in a special "leather guy" who repairs leather problems on all of the Jags and Land Rovers at his dealership.

That said, the leather quality from Jag is deplorable! It's paper thin. I never had this problem with leather quality when I owned a Lexus sport saloon. Jag leather is thin as rice paper. My center armrest is starting to peel!

Take your car back to your dealer and tell them the same problem in the US with an identical car got fixed in a couple of hours. The

#36 ·
Ian Callum has been terribly let down by the penny pinching bean counters at J LR which will ultimately drive Fpace customers to their Competitors.I had same problem with Evoque and Range rover Sport .A great looking vehicle spoiled by the apathy towards quality in so many components which owners are experiencing. Look at their competitors Forums that is very telling my first and last Jaguar I have tried to buy British for the past decade
but regret to say NO MORE. After 6 months ownership will be glad to see the back of mine at the month end a painful and very expensive experience

#37 ·
@macview19.....

So sorry to hear that you have chosen to call it quits on your F-pace. I remember that you waited a very long time for its arrival and we both live relatively near each other (Edinburgh and the Borders).

Can you say more of what caused you to make the decision to offload the car? I am wondering whether a 3.0 in Edinburgh plus the endless speed humps might be part of the issue?

Arianne

#38 ·
Hi Arrianne re your question why I am getting rid of my Fpace to many Problems to many to list great looking car let my heart rule my head BIG BiG mistake and complete Apathy by Jaguar to written complaints to director of customer services just an email noting my genuine complaints 3 months on no response.The dealer has been more than helpful and I feel sorry for them that they have had to take all this flack.First and last Jaguar their competitors in the 60k bracket are away ahead of Jaguar sorry I ever considered this car . Would I recommend this vehicle NO had a better response from a inexpensive under 10k Korean runabout than from a 60 K Jaguar that must tell you a lot. The competition to Jaguar must be laughing all the way to the bank if they look at this forum.Your question was it speed bumps or traffic congestion in the city that I decided to part with the Jaguar the answer is no the numerous faults and the complete apathy of the manufacturer cannot wait for the month end to be shot of this thing

#39 ·
macview19 said:
Hi Arrianne re your question why I am getting rid of my Fpace to many Problems to many to list great looking car let my heart rule my head BIG BiG mistake and complete Apathy by Jaguar to written complaints to director of customer services just an email noting my genuine complaints 3 months on no response.The dealer has been more than helpful and I feel sorry for them that they have had to take all this flack.First and last Jaguar their competitors in the 60k bracket are away ahead of Jaguar sorry I ever considered this car . Would I recommend this vehicle NO had a better response from a inexpensive under 10k Korean runabout than from a 60 K Jaguar that must tell you a lot. The competition to Jaguar must be laughing all the way to the bank if they look at this forum.Your question was it speed bumps or traffic congestion in the city that I decided to part with the Jaguar the answer is no the numerous faults and the complete apathy of the manufacturer cannot wait for the month end to be shot of this thing
Okay, thanks for the response. I have mine being delivered on 4 March (gulp). I have planned a very careful and thorough process with the dealership as part of the PDI process. But your post doesn't fill me with confidence.

Best wishes and thanks again for taking the time to reply.

Arianne

#40 ·
Hi Arianne sorry I painted a rather dismal review on the vehicle I owned but it was beset with problems from the outset and feel that Jaguar are not taking the issues of numerous faults seriously just plain arrogance.If ihad operated the business that I used to own in the way Jaguar is conducting the customers problems I would have gone to the wall in weeks.The statement that the looked at the Porsche Macan and made modifications after having a test drive on a Macan the Fpace is not in the same league not as pretty perhaps but put together as it should be with air suspension it was a very relevant more comfortable vehicle to drive with superb quality materials.A much nicer place to be how I now regret having not tried a Macan before buying the Jaguar.With must have options it worked slightly cheaper than the Fpace which is an attractive vehicle but I purchase a vehicle to drive it not stand and admire it. I sincerely hope your Jaguar is okay and will keep you posted on my replacement for the Jaguar I bought

#41 ·
Took delivery of my F-Pace Portfolio at end of May 2016, within 6/8 weeks the piping on my drivers seat began to wear. It was replaced but began to wear again. Another new seat cover fitted in November, another in March this year and it is now wearing again. FOUR seat covers in 12 months and less than 12000 miles. Jaguar say they are not aware of any other problems, they obviously don't read this forum Have contacted the motoring press and now Autoexpress have picked up my problems on my behalf.I have had Jaguars for over 15 years now, S-Types and XFs, never had a problem until now, why should I stay loyal to a brand who doesn't care about me. All I get are corporate replies, they seem to have no understanding of customer satisfaction. Now that the F-Pace has won all these awards their heads will be bigger than ever. The car is very good apart from the poor quality of the materials they are using. I waited a while for the last cover to be fitted as Jaguar had told the dealership that they were working on a fix for the problem. Turns out that this was a lie as there is not a fix in the pipeline. View attachment 4044 Grey Automotive design Personal luxury car Beige Tints and shades
Automotive design Helmet Grey Automotive lighting Material property

Attachments

#42 ·
Thats not good, as for them burying there heads, i think this is true, Jaguar customer service for issues is very very poor and it's about time the motoring world reported these issues rather then the paid to lie rubbish they print all the time stating the cars are faultless.

#46 ·
billwright said:
Hi

I found wear on the driver seat, has anyone else had this?

Seems a tad excessive for a 5K mile car just six months old.
Thread merged, this has been covered here in details, please try the search function in future as you may find assistance to your issues already on the board.

Thank you.

#47 ·
Mine looking exactly the same now after 20k and 18 months. Dealer and JLR customer service say this is wear and tear. I've never had a problem like this in other cars. Apparently it's an issue with my "operation of the seat", rather than a quality or manufacturing issue so they won't replace. Clearly I'm getting in and out of the car all wrong. Who knew,after nearly 30 years of getting into and out of cars, I've been doing it wrong! Utter b*ll*cks from customer service. God alone knows what it will look like in 18 months when I come to sell....

#48 ·
There is a topix doc for this , I haven't got a copy but it might be worth seeing if the dealer has read this ?

Front Seat Bolster Wear - Oyster Leather Only
A customer may express concern that the oyster coloured front seat backrest cover or the oyster coloured seat cushion cover has premature cosmetic wear.
Global reference: JTB00591

#49 ·
I have a 18MY F-Pace portflio 4k miles with similar complaint, Dealer advised the FREDS team at JLR have said 3rd party abuse (customer) so no claim under warranty, even though a contact at JLR Gaydon advised this is KNOWN issue.....

I am 12 st wringing wet and wear a suit for work!!!

Disgusting attitude when they know they have a concern from their seat supplier!!!

GET A GRIP JLR, NO WONDER YOU ARE BOTTOM IN JD POWER !!!!! SORT OUT YOUR SEAT SUPPLIER AND GET THESE VEHICLES REPAIRED

Attachments

#50 ·
It seems to me that there are three potential conclusions:

Fair wear and tear.
Clearly not the case in Bazza's case after only 4k miles on their 'premium (extra 1k+)' Windsor leather.

Leather finish unfit for purpose.
As per Topix item noted by June, they seem to have accepted this in terms of the Oyster finished seats only and I assume will replace under warranty at cost to them.

Accidental Damage
I guess it is no surprise that this will be their default stance as it is no cost to them and I can sort of see why they have jumped on this, based on the picture above; it's more of a graze from left to right over quite a wide band, rather than say, a rub from a belt. If so, in theory a comprehensive insurance policy would engage, albeit policy excess, loss of NCD and/or claims load would probably make it uneconomic to pursue this remedy. It would be interesting to know what the Insurer's view would be if asked whether you were covered for the damage based on JLR's assessment.

#51 ·
As the owner of an 18 model year Portfolio with about 4000 miles on the clock I can understand Jaguar's decision to reject the claim. That doesn't look like wear and tear to me, more like it has been scratched by something sharp. My seats (Siena) show no sign of wear whatsoever.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.