Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

New F Pace Order - 180 or 240 ?

14K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  Sevenoaksbull 
#1 ·
Hi All,

After test driving an F Pace Manual and having an Auto on demo for a couple of days, I've decided to hit the botton and go for an R-Sport Auto. I was happy with the performance of the 180 to be fair, perfectly adequate 99% of the time or more, and just enough for me for 'pressing on'. So I spec'd the car up accordingly with a few goodies. But at the last moment, I have decided to go up an engine level and have switched to the 240.

I've not driven the 240 so will be buying blind on that one, but I'm hoping it will be the same as the 180, just a bit more torque slightly lower down. Has anyone driven the 180 and 240 and can share their thoughts on the difference ? Is the 240 the one to go for out of the two? Or is there a reason to avoid it and stick with the 180?

This is my revised build.....
https://build.jaguar/4720A587

Appreciate your help on this one.

Many Thanks,

Roy.

See less See more
#2 ·
I have test driven the lot 3.0 supercharged 3.0 diesel
180 Diesel and the 240 petrol really wanted the super charged but couldn't justify the cost
Drove the 240 in dynamic mode and I was sold it's quick enough for me and for my needs and I love it

#3 ·
Hi RoyF,

Nice looking spec :)

I didn't drive the 180 but did drive the 240 before making my mind up and ordering. I thought the performance was good but there was a noticeable diesel clatter under hard acceleration 30-60 and to be honest it put me off a bit. Judging by reviews of the 180 that is what all the Ingenium diesels sound like. The car I drove was cold and it was literally a 10 mile drive so I expect that improves when all is warmed up. I saw an S in the Harwoods show room, rented one via Avis Prestige for the weekend to get a proper drive and that was that. Interestingly the S and 240 diesel seem very similar in official MPG claims but not sure how that pans out in reality. It is a trade off between getting the options you want and the performance you need at the right price but if MPG is an issue I would stick with the 180 as I suspect it is a lot less thirsty. The S I drove was giving about 35-38 MPG and I was being a little heavy footed but I am sure there are 240 owners on here with more comparative information.

#5 ·
Wise decision not to go for the manual box as it is horrible in the F Pace and XE
MyDaughter has a RR Velar with a 240 engine and it is much better on torque and quieter than my current F Pace with the 180 unit. I have on order for March 1st delivery a AWD XF Sportbrake with the 240/50 unit after trying it out earlier in the year with good results.
You will notice a drop in MPG over the 180 which is to be expected for the extra power.

#6 ·
Hi Roy,

I originally test drove the 180 D and then changed my order to the 25 D 240 hp when it came out. Whilst ok I always felt the 180 D was slightly underpowered. The 25 D is much better and certainly goes particularly in dynamic mode.

I agree there is some diesel cluster when accelerating hard, it's worse when cold but it's still superior to the 180 D. If I did it again I would go with the 3.0 D but it's a question of what is affordable at the time. If your choice is 180 D or the 25 D 240 hp it's a no brainier, go with the 240 hp.

Nice colour btw! Same as mine! ;)

Attachments

#8 ·
Looked at the 180 Disco Sport. Test drove that. Then test drove the 180 F-Pace. It was like a different vehicle completely. Much more lithe on its feet and I was sold.

Upgraded the engine to the 240 and am so pleased I did. It suits the car perfectly. Little less front end weight than the 3.0 but it sits a bit further than halfway between the 180 and the 3.0L power wise. Mid range (overtaking) torque is magnificent. It cruises superbly and a dab of the Dynamic button turns it into a hot hatch slayer.

It is imho definitely worth the money to upgrade and I chose to spend money on the engine rather than some other internal bits to fit my budget.

Link to my first 1000 miles https://www.fpaceforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3139

Its now done 8.5k.

#10 ·
Hi All,

Many thanks for all the replies and views on this one. Looks like the consensus is the 240 is preferable to the 180, even if it is a fair bit more price wise for an extra turbo and one or two stronger internal components, but a reasonable trade off between performance and economy I guess. I'm hoping that the fuel consumption won't be too much different to the 180 driven the same way. Honest John's real mpg site reports 40.8 mpg for the 180 AWD, 40.1 for the 240, (and 33.0 for the 3.0).

Whilst I know it would never be as smooth as a V6, I found it a lot smoother and quieter than I expected and am happy with that. I've currently got a 3.0 V6 diesel C Class Mercedes and there wasn't that much difference that I really noticed, plus the ZF gearbox seemed so much sharper and more responsive when changing gear than what I'm used to which was good.

I did briefly consider the 3.0, but the couple of things that put me off apart from the drop in mpg, was that the 3.0 S came with several options that I either particularly didn't want or wasn't bothered about, so haven't spec'd them in my R-Sport.... I didn't want 20" wheels or Red Calipers, and wasn't bothered about Adaptive Dynamics, electric seats, upgraded sound or Keyless Entry. So to have the 3.0 with all the options I have added to the R-Sport took the list price up another £8k from £52.5k to £60.5k.

Roy.

#11 ·
Job done....

Car ordered last Friday to the spec in my first post...... Waiting for a delivery date now, estimated end of May as the car is held in an 'order pool' something to do with it being a high spec apparently. Salesman wasn't surprised at that as he thought it might not auto allocate, but said he should have an idea by the end of this week.... :D

#13 ·
Just heard that build date will be the end of April.......an improvement to end of May which was suggested when I ordered last Friday... Happy Days !!!

#14 ·
So it finally arived at the dealer last Thursday (240 R-Sport), collected on Sunday and am really happy with it !!.........Compulsory picture attached... :D Makes the waiting so worthwhile, still working my way around all config options . The main menu software seems a bit different to the September 2017 R-Sport I had on demo at the start of the year, so a couple of questions....

Is there an oil service interval distance indicator as mantioned in the maual? I don't seem to have a 'Next Service' option under Vehicle Info as the manual says, so can't see the 'Ad-Blue' range either.

Can't seem to get the garage door opener buttons to sync up, or even change state to try and accept the garage remote, so more work to do on that to figure it out, anyone managed it sucessfully?

Electric deployable towbar appears to be the wrong way around, trailer light check deploys the towbar, and vice versa for some reason.

Can't seem to get any USB stick recognised to play media (mp3 or iTunes), the same stick worked in the demo car a few months back, but not this time around, Was hoping to just leave the USB in situ for all my music as I do in my wife's car and my outgoing MB, I've tried other known good USB memory sticks, (formated FAT) without luck. My iPhone is recognised however in the SUB slot and will come up on the screen as an iPod and play no problem.

I'm sure there will be more questions as I try to work out all it can do.......

Roy.

Attachments

#15 ·
Looks really smart, very crisp in white, thanks for sharing the picture.

RoyF said:
Is there an oil service interval distance indicator as mantioned in the maual? I don't seem to have a 'Next Service' option under Vehicle Info as the manual says, so can't see the 'Ad-Blue' range either.
Some functions on the menus are only available with the ignition on, rather than with the engine running . . have you tried scrolling through all the options with just the ignition on?, from memory I have a feeling the oil service and adblue range indicators are only visible like that, worth checking anyway.

#16 ·
Mamy Thanks Catwoman....

Just been out and checked, yep, you're right, looks like that is only available with just the ignition on. (reading 19,800 or so to service, and 8,220 for ad-blue)..... That's what I like about these forums soooo much...

Cheers, Roy....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.