Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

Rubbing Noise - Front Half Shaft

131K views 384 replies 50 participants last post by  ben178 
#1 ·
Started getting a rubbing - creaking noise - couldn't really tell where from, but under the car generally.
Occurring randomly on and off, mostly on!!
Sounded like a piece of wheel arch trim or similar rubbing on a tyre.
Had a good look under and around all wheel arches - nothing obvious.

Took into dealer Barbagallo (Perth Western Oz).
They reported back that a rubber boot on a front (right?) half shaft was rubbing on a bracket.
Asked what had changed or moved to start the noise...um er well er its like um - you know the drill. mild BBB.
Anyway......warranty spares ex UK....about 2 weeks away....ok to drive meanwhile they said.

Again, stuff happens its how its dealt with and actually remedied that matters.

((3.0 diesel S, 20", production date 1 May 2016, delivered 2 Aug 2016, the first one on the road in Perth, Western Australia.
Got about 4,000km on the clock now.))

See less See more
#302 ·
So after several visits to the dealer a rejection letter, a meeting and a conversation with the JLR regional tech I decided to allow work to be carried out on my car as the last attempt before it was fully rejected.

New half shaft support bracket which is now made of of some grade of steel as opposed to aluminium was installed last week. The estimated cost of this part is said to be £35k due to design and development I imagine.

Several road tests were carried out and the vehicle finally returned to me earlier this week after a couple of weeks of being tempered with due to some other outstanding issues with the car.

Happy to report the noise has finally disappeared!! I have done everything I can to see if I can hear the noise and I'm 99.9% sure the new part has done the job on my car. I think I'm one of the first people to have had this part as it isn't being installed to new production cars until later this year.

A very well done to my dealer who have really come through in this instance and a big thanks to JLR#5 for all his help with the rejection assistance.

I'm very pleased to be able to put a line under this and finally start enjoying my FPace instead of it being a massive disappointment.

Also had the new ICTP updated installed and all working fine, finally my car works!!!

#303 ·
Renesis said:
So after several visits to the dealer a rejection letter, a meeting and a conversation with the JLR regional tech I decided to allow work to be carried out on my car as the last attempt before it was fully rejected.

New half shaft support bracket which is now made of of some grade of steel as opposed to aluminium was installed last week. The estimated cost of this part is said to be £35k due to design and development I imagine.

Several road tests were carried out and the vehicle finally returned to me earlier this week after a couple of weeks of being tempered with due to some other outstanding issues with the car.

Happy to report the noise has finally disappeared!! I have done everything I can to see if I can hear the noise and I'm 99.9% sure the new part has done the job on my car. I think I'm one of the first people to have had this part as it isn't being installed to new production cars until later this year.

A very well done to my dealer who have really come through in this instance and a big thanks to JLR#5 for all his help with the rejection assistance.

I'm very pleased to be able to put a line under this and finally start enjoying my FPace instead of it being a massive disappointment.

Also had the new ICTP updated installed and all working fine, finally my car works!!!
Thank you for the update and great to hear that they may have at last found how to sort this issue, fingers crossed for you and everyone else with this issue.

I am sure there will be a lot of recalls for this part across the JLR brand.

#304 ·
Renesis said:

That's really excellent news, and hopefully this transfers across to Velar owners too.

#305 ·
Had this affected the Velar too?

I'm not sure if this will actually be a recall or not as it's only really noticeable with the 22inch wheels. My hire car only had 20 inch wheels on and I couldn't hear it but it has a 2.0 engine in. Reading between the lines unless you complain you won't get the replacement part.

I was told it's quite a in depth job to replace so that's a lot of man hours to replace on every AWD F Pace.

#306 ·
That is great news for all owners, so 50 weeks from original diagnosis to fix, these things obviously take time to solve from an engineering perspective, all without admitting there was a fault as well, a great outcome none the less.

#307 ·
Apologies if this has already been answered but do we know how many rejections due to this issue have been accepted by JLR? I have officially rejected my car now and obviously I am now coming up against all the usual objections as to why it isn't rejectable. So grateful to know how many have been agreed and accepted.

Many thanks

#308 ·
Steveb68 said:
Apologies if this has already been answered but do we know how many rejections due to this issue have been accepted by JLR? I have officially rejected my car now and obviously I am now coming up against all the usual objections as to why it isn't rejectable. So grateful to know how many have been agreed and accepted.

Many thanks
There have been people who have rejected, for this reason, I am sure JLRNumber5 has and others, who's your dealer?

#309 ·
Stratstones Berkeley square London

#311 ·
Renesis said:
Hi Steve unless your within your 30 days of purchase I think you will have a battle on your hands with a rejection for this now.

If this is the only issue and they have now fixed it surely you'd want to keep it now?
This. There must be other significant issues you are unhappy with surely? :?

Mrs mik's car has started making the noise very quietly. I am delighted to hear there is a fix in the offering.

#312 ·
The noise started around 5000 Kms and got progressively worse...it's been in the garage twice for a fix and it hasn't been successful. My main concern is the effect this might have on the resale value. I keep my cars for 4 years and then sell them on. I don't want that this issue becomes something that my car becomes tagged with and could possibly effect the value. Love the car but really really disappointing that 70,000 spent should get you a car that's been tested.

#313 ·
Renesis said:

Thank you so much for posting this. I have shared it with my dealer, Lloyd Kelso. Our RR Velar is scheduled to be returned to them for diagnosis of the same issue next Monday. I am hoping your post will expedite the process. What a relief!

Arianne

#316 ·
Steveb68 said:
The noise started around 5000 Kms and got progressively worse...it's been in the garage twice for a fix and it hasn't been successful. My main concern is the effect this might have on the resale value. I keep my cars for 4 years and then sell them on. I don't want that this issue becomes something that my car becomes tagged with and could possibly effect the value. Love the car but really really disappointing that 70,000 spent should get you a car that's been tested.
I would not worry, dealers are not telling people the cars they have for sale on the forecourt have been rejected anyway so I would not worry too much, I am sure a fix will be found.

#317 ·
Has anybody else had this or have been booked in for this recall yet?

I'm afraid to say that the noise has returned on my car and I'm not a happy chappy, my concern is will it get worse and be louder than it was before? So far it's noticable again but not as loud - at present 700 miles covered with new part installed

#319 ·
My Velar went in yesterday for this issue and so, when I hear more, I will update this forum too. The two cars are sisters and so some information about the Velar may be helpful for F-Pace owners too?

Arianne

#320 ·
Arianne said:
My Velar went in yesterday for this issue and so, when I hear more, I will update this forum too. The two cars are sisters and so some information about the Velar may be helpful for F-Pace owners too?

Arianne
Good luck Arianne, Renesis car fix they said would sort the issue has not resolved the problem as the issue has come back which is a worry for anyone with this issue that still after 18 months the issue is not resolved and they keep making cars with potentially this problem not resolved.

Worrying for you all.

#321 ·
Jim said:
Renesis,

Is it the same noise from the same place, I.e. the original problem returning?

You post would indicate it probably is :(
Hello Jim

It's the same noise just slightly reduced but it's still there and it shouldn't be is the bottom line for me.

I've given my feedback to my dealer and I'm awaiting a call.

I'm interested to find out if I'm alone on this or not as at first I was really convinced it was fixed.

#322 ·
Hi All, my 25d RSport has now developed this whirring noise audible when accelerating after approximately 3750 miles. The dealer has identified it needs to have the new support bracket as identified on the bulletin and it is now booked in for repair. Will update once repair completed.

#323 ·
FpaceNW said:
Hi All, my 25d RSport has now developed this whirring noise audible when accelerating after approximately 3750 miles. The dealer has identified it needs to have the new support bracket as identified on the bulletin and it is now booked in for repair. Will update once repair completed.
To my knowledge, that's the first time the issue has been reported on anything other than a 3.0d V6. Interesting.

Arianne

#324 ·
I was told that this problem affect all the AWD models and is only made audible to the human ear when coupled with the 22s which basically amplify the noise.

I had a 2.0d rsport as a courtesy car and I wasn't sure if the fault was there and I know what I'm listening for after 8000 miles of this annoyance

#325 ·
FpaceNW said:
Hi All, my 25d RSport has now developed this whirring noise audible when accelerating
From his description, above, it is by no means clear if the issue FpaceNW is reporting is even the same issue. He is describing a "whirring noise", which would suggest something more continuous, different to a rubbing noise. So, if the dealer applies the 'rubbing noise' fix, it may not alleviate his particular issue. No doubt we will learn more when he reports back after a repair has been completed.

#326 ·
Same over here, mine is a MY18 2.0D RWD with manual gearbox. Have about 8500 miles and until now noise comes and goes. Car was delivered end of August.
For the moment, it's there for almost one week. It's driving me crazy, and I get sarcastic remarks from my passengers. He's going in the 22th to change some parts in my ICTP, because after the update to V3, things got worse …
I will ask my dealer to take a look

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.