Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

Remote start - again slight twist

18K views 46 replies 20 participants last post by  Reggraham 
#1 ·
In another thread

http://www.fpaceforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2832&start=20 it is mentioned that in Germany remote start is not allowed so it is not offered to users.

By that logic Jaguar are actually saying that remote start is allowed in the UK because they offer it. If it is not allowed then they should stop it here just as in Germany. I know someone threw at me "your car can do over 70mph but that doesn't make it legal" and I agree. This however is different, jaguar apparently have actively disabled something for a specific market because it is not allowed, the long running arguments here before said much the same so Jaguar by offering this have flouted local UK law and should be forced to recall all cars with this option and remove it?

Seems the only right thing to do or Jaguar accept all responsibility including insurance companies who don't pay out for stolen cars taken while remote start is in use (though who in their right mind would admit it is beyond me!).

#27 ·
catwoman said:
dw-fp-jag said:
Re the 4th point above - Surely it just starts the electrical systems for 'Remote Climate Control' and doesn't actually 'start the engine' on your drive or wherever its parked?
Yep, starts the engine, sits there wherever you've parked it, idling away merrily . . warms the car up on a cold morning, air-con cools it down on a warm afternoon . . . lots of threads discussing this feature.
I am right in thinking this is only available on models with the Auto gearbox though aren't I?

#28 ·
Wow... must hammer fuel consumption sat there idling away on cold mornings. A design fault methinks :idea:

#29 ·
Coopsterdude said:
catwoman said:
dw-fp-jag said:
Re the 4th point above - Surely it just starts the electrical systems for 'Remote Climate Control' and doesn't actually 'start the engine' on your drive or wherever its parked?
Yep, starts the engine, sits there wherever you've parked it, idling away merrily . . warms the car up on a cold morning, air-con cools it down on a warm afternoon . . . lots of threads discussing this feature.
I am right in thinking this is only available on models with the Auto gearbox though aren't I?
CORRECT! In case you've parked it on your drive and left it in gear! Don't want to be starting up the engine remotely and suddenly find your F-Pace in your living room!!!! :lol: :lol:

#31 ·
dw-fp-jag said:
Wow... must hammer fuel consumption sat there idling away on cold mornings. A design fault methinks :idea:
Nope, exactly as it should be to warm the car on frosty mornings or to cool it on very hot days, if the engine didn't start it would quickly deplete the battery with the aircon compressor or an electric heater running.

It auto turns off after some period (30 mins maybe, can't remember the exact amount of time though it is in the handbook) if you don't enter the car or turn it off yourself. I find that about 10 mins or so is all it has needed last winter or so far this summer to heat up or cool down.

This feature only works if the car is fully locked and the alarm is armed, and it remains like that until you enter the car, so it won't be nicked while it is sat with the engine running, (or at least not any more likely than if the engine wasn't running).

Jim

#32 ·
The only slight "now what on earth were they thinking" moment comes when you open the tailgate rather than a door because the engine turns off. No idea what scenario they are imagining. Makes no sense. However a minor niggle. You soon learn to open a door first before loading the dog!

#33 ·
JLRnumber5 said:
The only slight "now what on earth were they thinking" moment comes when you open the tailgate rather than a door because the engine turns off. No idea what scenario they are imagining. Makes no sense. However a minor niggle. You soon learn to open a door first before loading the dog!
I find I fall foul of this when leaving hotels on frosty mornings, stagger up to the back of the car to load my case, etc. and the engine cuts out, I rarely remember to grab a door handle on the way past before opening the tailgate :oops:

#34 ·
Dragging this thread back up as had a really odd incident over the Xmas period which involved a very irate man running up to me (when I returned to my Jag in council public car park) telling me that I was breaking the law and that he'd called the police! I tried to explain that it was remote start for climate rather than me walking off with the keys in the ignition, but he was not having any of it and was smugly telling me how I will get called by the police. All a bit odd but I presume from the lack of police action (they didn't come out there and then, nor did they follow up with me after) that he was overenthusiasticly misguided in his intentions.

I can admit it's very odd to see a car start up unattended and I've had a few comments before from people thinking I've left the keys behind, but this is the first time someone has threatened me and called the police!

Just wondering now if anyone else has had a similar argument with a member of public, or whether I'm just unlucky! It's made me a little anxious over using the features again to avoid future confrontation. At least I'm a lot more versed in the Road Traffic Act 1988 & Road Traffic (Vehicle Emissions) Regulations 2002 to come up with a better response next time!

#35 ·
I must admit I am reluctant to use this feature for environmental reasons and to avoid the sort of complaints you received Djmc321. I would also probably avoid it in any kind of public location/car park as I would be worried about exhaust fumes pumping out unnecessarily. Emissions must be really high starting a car from cold and running it like this whether petrol or diesel. I find it strange that we all have stop/start fitted to reduce emissions but its OK to remote start the car and run the engine for 30 minutes whilst the car stands still pumping out fumes, just to warm up the inside! I have a heated steering wheel and seats and these are toasty within a minute or so and the screen clears pretty much instantly as well. If your butt is toasty and hands warm you really don't notice the car being cold inside for a few minutes! In Yorkshire in the 1960's we used to go to school in shorts in winter (it was the uniform) and had one coal fire in the living room t heat a whole house so I do think we are all little pampered these days ;)

I think if it was -15C in Scandinavia/Canada you could possibly justify remote start but they tend to use a different solution. You quite often get block heater points in public car parks that pre-heat coolant/engine block so the car starts easier and warms up quicker and lots of cars have them fitted. Picture from Kiruna in northern Sweden.

Attachments

#36 ·
I'd be worried if the M25 wasn't like a car park and councils stopped blocking off cut through roads and dumping all the traffic on to main roads causing traffic jams with bottle necked junction and turning over half the roads to busses that are half empty.
We pay a congestion charge to use central London why it's more congested now than ever so what does the money pay for.
Not road improvements half the sitting traffic making more emissions wouldn't be there if the roads was reopened and traffic could find an alternative route it's not rocket science.
In Islington they put width restrictions in that are not needed just to service a cctv Camara to fine motorists
Not helping with emmisions so the stop start isn't the problem it's local government

#37 ·
I suspect the problem is too many cars and too many car journeys but that isn't a popular message to the motoring public or car manufacturers. However, we are wandering away from the topic which was remote start...

I can actually see this feature getting banned in some countries quite soon with the big push to reduce emissions.

#38 ·
Smitten said:
Picture from Kiruna in northern Sweden.
Sorry to remain off-topic for a moment longer, but oh, how I long for the days when you could just do that with the windscreen wipers! . . what a complete and utter faff it is to do that on the FP :roll:

. . . must say I'm in total agreement with you on this Smitten, in fact the remote start feature on cars is a violation against the planet, it should not be routinely used (only in extremis), in the same way that some people feel like they have to make special journeys just to de-clog their DPFs, quite honestly it's an environmentally/socially irresponsible practice. JLR really need to start designing more forward thinking solutions into their vehicles, not persisting problems.

#39 ·
I have a German market car which I use outside Germany, so I cannot start the car remotely on the App.
However I have "Timed Climate with Remote Control" option which gives me another fob to start the heating from a distance and also on the Remote app I can turn it on via internet. I guess it is a better option for remote cabin climate control as it is less polluting the environment, more silent when operating.

the app shows "START" not "START ENGINE (for 30min)" and there is no Target temp. I could set.

#40 ·
#41 ·
And just realised I don't have the winter wiper park mode option listed where it should be so I will mention at the 1st service

#42 ·
Mine was built same time as yours 'Smitten' and I don't have winter wiper park mode either. Think it was already deleted for some reason by then, but would like to get it added. Let us know if you have any luck......As for remote start, which this thread was really about, I wouldn't want to be without it now.... 10/10 for that one JLR !!

#43 ·
If I recall there is a post somewhere on the forum where someone has posted the dealer configurable options, one of which was turning on the wiper park position option. May be worth a search and taking the screen shots along to your dealers, assuming it can be added to early cars.

#44 ·
I believe it may be dealer configurable as well but will check when mine goes in for update. Not sure how much use it will be with heated screen

#45 ·
Jim said:
If I recall there is a post somewhere on the forum where someone has posted the dealer configurable options, one of which was turning on the wiper park position option. May be worth a search and taking the screen shots along to your dealers, assuming it can be added to early cars.
Winter Wiper Mode is a dealer configurable option and my MY18 (built Nov 2017) came without it configured but dealer was able to enable it at my request.

#46 ·
mike72uk said:
Jim said:
Winter Wiper Mode is a dealer configurable option and my MY18 (built Nov 2017) came without it configured but dealer was able to enable it at my request.
Result. That's what I thought. Is it worth the fuss?

#47 ·
In the USA where I rented several cars that had remote start if the car was unlocked it wouldn't start as the Jag does however if the car was unlocked during the remote start run the engine stopped, I assume that if the car was broken into and a door opened the engine would stop. That would then get round the problem of someone trying to break in as they will have achieved no more than breaking in to any other car.
It is a nice feature I used it when in the states on cold frosty mornings, I haven't had much opportunity to use it on my F-Pace yet but I can see it being useful in the summer just to cool the car off enough to open the doors if we have another heatwave.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.