Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

Advice on removing water spots

16K views 23 replies 13 participants last post by  Mark999 
#1 ·
Washed my one month old F-pace yesterday with my new wash cleaning kit in line with much of the advice on this forum (thank you!) and it has cleaned up very nicely (as it should have done given the ceramic coating I spent ££ getting applied!). I do live in a very hard water area though and I have noticed that there are some hard water rings/spots on the bonnet that I couldn't remove when drying. Any recommendations on products to use to clear these would be appreciated.

Thanks

#2 ·
Really simple. Aquagleam filter.

Once all washed connect the filter to the hose and rinse off. Dry as normal and finish up.
Makes a huge difference especially in summer when it's warm and dries quickly.

I went for the big one this time as works out a lot cheaper but it's pretty big !

http://www.theultimatefinish.co.uk/aqua-gleam.aspx

#3 ·
I solved the problem of water spotting years ago by using rainwater from a water-but and administed from a watering can.

#5 ·
Code:
I fitted a water softener at home. Probably the best piece of kit i have ever bought. Zero water marks on glass and chrome at home and lovely soft water to shower in. If you don't have one you don't know what you're missing.
I have had a water softener at home for 20 years but my garage tap is upstream of it! Actually I switched it off 6 months ago as I can't stand the thing - constant need to feed it salt, does more harm to many appliances than hard water (damages CH boilers and irons..) and it makes the water unpalatable to drink.

Code:
Looks intriguing Mbadger77, not come across one before. I guess this stops water marks appearing in the first place, but given I have them not sure if it will help remove them? I may have to get one and see, thank you

#6 ·
One reason you get water spots is you are either washing you car in too hot environment and not getting the water off before it dries or your not fully getting the water off with a decent cloth.

I use Meguiars products as to me they offer the best value with a decent name and great results,

For taking the water off the car after washing i use this,

http://www.meguiars.co.uk/shop/water-magnet-drying-towel

#7 ·
Purifying the water is the best approach although it's another extra element in the paraphernalia of detailed car washing. Sometimes we just want to do a quick wash without inadvertently damaging the car in doing so.

One option is the use of a final spray on finish. Carlack, shown below, achieves a good impact in that it removes chalk deposits left by water evaporating before you get the chance to dry it off. It also adds some further protection to your earlier acrylic coatings to prolong the protection.

Available from Polished Bliss. http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog/carlack-car-care-and-detailing-products.html

Best wishes,

Arianne

Attachments

#8 ·
tonythehoolet said:
Code:
I fitted a water softener at home. Probably the best piece of kit i have ever bought. Zero water marks on glass and chrome at home and lovely soft water to shower in. If you don't have one you don't know what you're missing.
I have had a water softener at home for 20 years but my garage tap is upstream of it! Actually I switched it off 6 months ago as I can't stand the thing - constant need to feed it salt, does more harm to many appliances than hard water (damages CH boilers and irons..) and it makes the water unpalatable to drink.

Code:
Looks intriguing Mbadger77, not come across one before. I guess this stops water marks appearing in the first place, but given I have them not sure if it will help remove them? I may have to get one and see, thank you
Yes give it a go. Arianne suggested it and I'd never heard of such a thing. It's just for the final rinse and produces clean water without the lime / particles. It's not just about the water marks but how easy it is to final dry and buff. Really reduced the time for me and yes in the summer when it is drying pretty quickly it makes a big difference. Also helps on ceramic coats that dry pretty quick.

#9 ·
One option is the use of a final spray on finish. Carlack, shown below, achieves a good impact in that it removes chalk deposits left by water evaporating before you get the chance to dry it off. It also adds some further protection to your earlier acrylic coatings to prolong the protection.
Arianne, thank you that looks just the job. I'll get an order in tonight!

#10 ·
Mbadger77 said:

Once all washed connect the filter to the hose and rinse off. Dry as normal and finish up.

I went for the big one this time as works out a lot cheaper but it's pretty big !

I notice the web page suggests the filter is good for around 20 washes (in my hard water area) before it needs replacing. In your view is that number is realistic/optimistic/pessimistic? £3 per rinse sounds a bit pricey, and might push me more in the direction of a getting a water softener installed in the house.

#11 ·
Growler said:
..., and might push me more in the direction of a getting a water softener installed in the house.
tonythehootlet is right to point out considerations about water softener installation ... most boilers heat exchangers don't like softened water so you either need to design your system so that you aren't feeding the boiler with softened water, or make sure your boiler is compatible... then benfits are definitely worth it in my opinion.. we've have halved our spend on detergents (shower, washing machine, dishwasher, etc) since installing 4 years ago and all our taps, glass, tiling grout etc etc looks brand new and cleans really easily ... no water spots on the car either! ;)

#12 ·
My advice - Use a good drying towel ( I use a GYEON Q2M SILK DRYER which is frankly astonishing), followed by a decent quick detailer (for me Zaino Z6 or perhaps CG's synthetic quick detailer). This does the trick on my black paintwork in a fairly hard-water area, but the last part does obviously involve a bit more effort!

#13 ·
#14 ·
Matteus F-Pace said:
My advice - Use a good drying towel ( I use a GYEON Q2M SILK DRYER which is frankly astonishing), followed by a decent quick detailer (for me Zaino Z6 or perhaps CG's synthetic quick detailer). This does the trick on my black paintwork in a fairly hard-water area, but the last part does obviously involve a bit more effort!
Yes today I've used a big microfibres no scratch drying towel. Wow.
Mind you even with that having the water with no lime in it to start with on final rinse really is the way for a quick,perfect easy way for a great finish.

Today I snow foamed for first time. Rinsed. Washed with a mitt. Aquagleam rinse then big old towel that gave a good finish alone. Quick walk round and buff with a cloth where needed and done.
Finish is amazing.

#15 ·
Growler said:
Mbadger77 said:

I notice the web page suggests the filter is good for around 20 washes (in my hard water area) before it needs replacing. In your view is that number is realistic/optimistic/pessimistic? £3 per rinse sounds a bit pricey, and might push me more in the direction of a getting a water softener installed in the house.
Yes I went for the 0ppm so it doesn't last as long in hard water area.
I reckon it costs a bit more than that and 20 washes may push it. I'd pay 20 - 30 at the car wash so I'm ok with it and after watching the car wash guys and the pressure washers, cloths etc I couldn't ever take it there while in such good nick.

I've just bought the bigger one for £89 this time. It's huge so will get many more washes and will be much more cost effective.
Saves time as well so happy to save 20 mins for a few quid :)

#16 ·
I've often wondered whether water-skiing should be banned on health grounds. Oh wait, sorry, wrong Board - I 've clearly confused this with 'Advice on removing water sports' :D

(Worst pun ever? Could well be :? )

#18 ·
Hello all,
I'm in SE London and have notoriously hard water. I found this thread really interesting and it explains why I haven't been able to get the finish I want even using the two bucket technique and microfibre towels to dry.
Rather than fork out for a water softener, today I mixed up a weak vinegar solution (approx 20% vinegar to water) and sprayed it all over before drying.
I must say I've had the best results from a home wash I've ever had. If you want a cheap fix, I'd recommend it. The big cat is sparkling in the sunshine today like never before after washing it at home.
I've attached a pic and you can really see the metallic elements of the DSB paint sparkle in the sun.
D

Attachments

#20 ·
In the end I bought the carlack detailer recommended by Arianne and it works well. I've heard from the detailer who put my ceramic coating on that any decent detailing spray should do the job, but from my short experience I certainly can recommend Carlack. At some point I will probably make the leap into one of the de-ionised water solutions proposed by others on this thread....

#21 ·
jstitch said:
Advice from a detailer:

Mr Muscle furniture polish sprayed on a damp microfibre cloth, wipe over paintwork.
Any detailer who gives you that advice isn't a detailer, he's someone pretending to be a detailer and knows how to give a quick 'wow' result with none of the work involved

#23 ·
Mark999 said:
Living in a hard water area the water spots were a nightmare. I bought a large DI cartridge and always rinse with it attached to my hose.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VYAIR-0817-11-7-Litre-DI-Resin-Vessel-Mixed-Bed-DI-Resin-Fittings-Included/272808081076?hash=item3f84a0f6b4:g:RGYAAOSwCHtZlI1Q
I also reccomend using DI water for the screen wash mix - no more smeary wipers.
Mark
That's interesting as it sounds like it's just like the Aquagleam stuff I bought but they run out after 10 or 20 washes. They are filled with crystals that change could as they filter the water.
Do these cans permanently clean up hard water ? Do they need refills, ?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.