Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

How do you clean the brake calipers?

11K views 16 replies 14 participants last post by  Waynem 
#1 ·
What a beautiful weekend fellow F-Pace owners....

Was up and out for 7am this morning to give the F-Pace and Audi TT a wash. They look great in the sunshine. Spring has sprung!

However, how do you clean the brake calipers? I have the double helix wheels so I can get my mitt into the rear of the alloys but can't get the whole caliper. Obviously, I could jump in the car and roll it forward a few centimetres or take the wheels off (really?). Does anyone have any suggestions other than powerwash (which isn't really sufficient to restore them to their shiny red glory).

Regards

Arianne

#2 ·
I use a non acid wheel cleaner and spray this on and ordinary hose pipe pressure is enough to restore the shine.
Better still if you have the pressure washer out but my at least weekly clean restores the red calipers.

#3 ·
I use a microfibre cloth for wheels & callipers. Find this better for getting into awkward spaces, and it can be pulled behind the spokes - across the surface of a calliper for example

#5 ·
Same here - I use a non acid wheel cleaner - Bilt hamber auto wheel- spray it on the wheel including the calliper - wait five minutes- and wash off with a hose pipe. Works great.

#6 ·
Birthwaite said:
Same here - I use a non acid wheel cleaner - Bilt hamber auto wheel- spray it on the wheel including the calliper - wait five minutes- and wash off with a hose pipe. Works great.
Agreed here - something like Gtechnic W6 Iron and Fallout remover works very well also. And if your are feeling extravagant search online for wheel woolies - makes cleaning alloys so much easier and safer!!

#7 ·
Thank you folks,

I have invested in some Polished Bliss luxury wheel woolies, R222 wheel cleaner (it's not strong stuff but I am worried about the plastic inserts on my wheels), some Poorboys wheel sealant and Poorboys Bold & Bright gel. £95, cough :|

I have two weeks leave in April and plan to spend some of it on our two cars before heading off to Skye for a break with the family.

Best wishes,

Arianne

#8 ·
Agreed Mr A, I have always used wonder wheels on my alloys up to now, but have not used anything on my helix yet apart from auto gleam shampoo because of those plastic inserts.

Enjoy your trip to Scotland you lucky *ugger..... raise a wee dram or two and say hello from Jags Cat, hopefully get some time there later in the year!!

#9 ·
Jags cat said:
Agreed Mr A, I have always used wonder wheels on my alloys up to now, but have not used anything on my helix yet apart from auto gleam shampoo because of those plastic inserts.

Enjoy your trip to Scotland you lucky *ugger..... raise a wee dram or two and say hello from Jags Cat, hopefully get some time there later in the year!!
Thanks, Skye is wonderful if the weather is fine. It feels a million miles away from normal day to day life.

By the time I finished my order to Polished Bliss the total bill had increased from £95 to £185, oops!

Regards,

Arianne

#10 ·
If they are bad try Valet Pro Dragon's Breath, and leave for 5 mins, agitate and then wash off.
Valet Pro's Bilberry is good for regular cleans.

The best way to keep alloys (and even brake calipers) clean in the long term is Gtechniq C5 Wheel Armour.

As a sidenote and testimony to this product, I had to have an alloy on my previous car refurbed and even after 4 years they rung to ask what I had treated them with as they were having issues getting paint to bond ;-)

#11 ·
nigelmwilliams7 said:
If they are bad try Valet Pro Dragon's Breath, and leave for 5 mins, agitate and then wash off.
Valet Pro's Bilberry is good for regular cleans.

The best way to keep alloys (and even brake calipers) clean in the long term is Gtechniq C5 Wheel Armour.

As a sidenote and testimony to this product, I had to have an alloy on my previous car refurbed and even after 4 years they rung to ask what I had treated them with as they were having issues getting paint to bond ;-)
That's good to know as after 6 months / year the wheels do get dirty inside particularly and harder to clean.
My car is literally just getting done with wheels off and full treatment with the GTechniq so will see how it goes.

#15 ·
Arianne said:
but I am worried about the plastic inserts on my wheels)
Good idea to be worried, they are only painted black and not black plastic. Nice and white underneath if they get scratched/chipped :cry:

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.