Car Washing: advice and suggestions

Detailing, Cleaning and Maintaining your F-Pace.
corriescar66

Re: Car Washing: advice and suggestions

Post by corriescar66 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:22 am

Snow foam is something I would 100% recommend. Jet washing on its own only removes about 25% of dirt... Snow foam left for 10 mins gets 80-90% depending on how long it has been between 'full cleans'

I always laugh at the Karcher shopping channel demonstrations where they chuck muddy water over a clean car, then just blast it off..

I agree with Tim - be careful on the pressure setting and where you point it. Common sense is needed.

I initially tried 'foaming' using the detergent reservoir, but now given up & bought a proper nozzle - which is excellent & uses less 'snow'
Nov 2016: 3.0 S V6 Supercharged Petrol/Italiana da Corsa Rossa / Jet-Taurus/ 22" Helix etc....

Littlewig

Post by Littlewig » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:12 am

Power washers are ok, but need a big warning: Always ensure that power washers are used at 45 degrees to avoid blasting dirt into the paint and never use on full power. Poor use may result in the damage previously highlighted and you certainly should not dwell around sensors for too long to avoid the risk of water ingress.
Arrived :D - 3.0d V6 S in Ammonite with 22" turbines, ADSr, ICTP 340w, mood lighting, 360 parking, panno roof, space saver, illuminated door steps, LED headlights, 14-way seats, winter pack and cup holder covers...

Arianne

Post by Arianne » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:30 am

Okay, great thread. I have an opinion on a couple of points....

Firstly, water temperature. I have it cold but not freezing cold. I fill the bucket up from the bottom with a little hot before adding lots of cold water from the outside tap. I don't want my hands freezing but I also don't think applying warm / hot water onto cold bodywork sounds like a good idea either.

Power washers: I like them but remember that the machines are built to do lots of things, including blasting your patio clean! So go easy with the pressure, angle and jet setting otherwise you could do more harm than good. If all you want to do with your pressure washer is wash your car then you don't need the most powerful unit in the world.

Snow foam: therapeutic but take care. First, some snow foam concentrates are aggressive and may strip your car of its wax protection coating over time. The bottle is the way to go as the foam is perfect whereas the reservoir in the pressure washer doesn't do such a great job. I used it lots a couple of years back but now rarely use snow foam unless my car is very, very dirty. A few reasons. Time is a factor, it's another step and setting it up adds to the wash cycle. The second was that I noticed the spray when landing on my lawn and beech hedge was stunting growth - the lawn developed yellow spots and the beech hedge stopped growing! This was a mild snow foam! I am glad to say that, after ceasing to use the snow foam, both the hedge and lawn are doing well. The spray I am referring to was when rinsing with clean water - obviously I was not spraying neat foam into my lawn! It made me wonder what it might be doing to my hands?

Anyway, snow foam, power washers and the like are a thing that appeals to the Cave Man in me. Like BBQing.

Have fun,

Arianne

PS. IMHO, once you have perused and then invested in a water de-ioniser / purifier for your car you probably have OCD. Go carefully out there fellow forum members.

PPS. No, I don't own a water purifier!
Rejected but still affectionately remembered: F-Pace 3.0d V6 S, IRR, 18 way jet/red sports seats + full memory, privacy glass, 22" silver/black double helix, cold climate pack!

jinjin

Post by jinjin » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:11 am

why do I get the feeling your lawn looks like the grass on centre court before the first day of play at Wimbledon :)
Ordered 9th May, Arrived 9th Sep!: R-Sport Auto, Storm Grey, 22" Silver Helix, Priv Glass, LED Lights, Pano Roof, Jet Trim, 10 way Seats, ICTP 380W, Black, Dynamics, Advance Park & Practicality Packs, Blind Spot Monitoring and more

catwoman

Post by catwoman » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:13 am

Arianne wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:30 am
Power washers: I like them but remember that the machines are built to do lots of things, including blasting your patio clean! So go easy with the pressure, angle and jet setting otherwise you could do more harm than good. If all you want to do with your pressure washer is wash your car then you don't need the most powerful unit in the world.

If you haven't yet seen the clip, about 18 minutes in, on last Sunday's new Top Gear, then take a look . . . that's definitely not how to pressure wash your car!!! :shock: :o :shock:
8-) . . been enjoying since July '16, 2.0d R-Sport, Ammonite + Black Pack, Jet/Red interior and a few other options

bensales

Post by bensales » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:35 am

Good advice so far. I'd add something else...

A third bucket/mitt just for the wheels. Or always make sure they're done last.
2018 XF-S Supercharged. In black. With extra black bits. And a bit more black.

Onionrage

Post by Onionrage » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:58 am

If using snow foam - make sure you get a PH neutral variant. Should help keep any surface protection you have in place where it should be!
RSport 2.0 Manual AWD, Polaris White, Red Taurus, Black Pack & Black Gloss Alloys, Jet Headlining, 4-way electric lumbar, Rear Camera, Heated Windscreen/Washer jets, Space saver, Rear seat remote release, splash guards and Satin Grey Ebony Veneers

Big Pimp

Post by Big Pimp » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:03 pm

Arianne wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:30 am

PS. IMHO, once you have perused and then invested in a water de-ioniser / purifier for your car you probably have OCD. Go carefully out there fellow forum members.

PPS. No, I don't own a water purifier!
That's me frigged then, as I do :lol:
Ordered:
F Pace S in Ultimate Black running 22" Turbine chrome finish, privacy glass, gloss black window surrounds & LED headlights
Jet 14-way seats with jet headlining and ICTP & TV, mood lighting, electric towbar & more!

Beany1

Post by Beany1 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:52 pm

I can't see that this has been covered here but has anyone got any tips or product recommendations for removing some light scratching caused by driving too close to a hedge down a country road - the scratches are pretty light and in the old days on less cherished cars would likely have taken some t-cut to it. My beloved F-Pace is black. All help gratefully received.

YORKIE

Post by YORKIE » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:57 pm

bensales wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:35 am
Good advice so far. I'd add something else...

A third bucket/mitt just for the wheels. Or always make sure they're done last.
I don't know about bensales, you should change your name to bucketsales, you could make a fortune. ;)
2.0 D AWD PORTFOLIO-AUTO-BRG/OYSTER. 10 way front memory seats, electric steering column, privacy glass, car cover, skinny spare, deployable steps, 5 fan wheels, 5 year service plan, cup holders cover.

"honi soit qui mal y pense" :geek:

Return to “Detailing & Car Care”