Bespoke - self build - carport.

The place to discuss everything else..
Dan_Veluwe

Bespoke - self build - carport.

Post by Dan_Veluwe » Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:01 pm

I though about this for quite some time. Did not want a 'flatpack' or 'building mall' carport..

It needs to be "falling-tree-proof" as there are plenty trees in falling distance around.

We also needed to repave the garden, for many years. We put recycled bricks in 2008 since
we went beyond the contingencies on the building of the house..

My wife wanted an edging of gravel around the house to prevent dirt splashing back.
I wanted as few seams as possible to prevent weeds. Edgings of tiled pavement often is a nuisance, in particular next to a lawn.

So I decided to first put big concrete slabs. These are good footings for a carport and paving in one go.

The frame I designed, and a friend welded it :

IMG_20200520_200856951_HDR.jpg

Just some corrugated steel on top would have concluded a 'minimalistic' style carport.
Only the last bit is - to allow for a roofgutter and hide the roof stucture - , but the rest is double steel with 20mm PUR in between.
This to quiet down rain - 5m from my bedroom - and to prevent condensation on the lower side.

But I wanted it to get 'on par' with the rest of our house : wooden columns and brick footings..

View from the side window of the house :

20200801143301_IMG_1606.JPG

frontview:

front.jpg

rearview:

rear.jpg

We are very please with the end result. But next time I use wooden beams as columns, not steel ones and
subsequently clad them in wood like I did this time. Major headaches !

And the last, not the least, important detail :

20200801143238_IMG_1605.JPG

FT jag ______ P300___UniAir ___4-cyl__ _300hp 400nm____ 8-) Ultra Bleu_[ 30 k]
FP jag ______25T____UniAir____4-cyl____250hp 365nm____ :P Loire Blue_[ 5 k]
AT BMW ___216i______________3-cyl____102hp 180nm____ :? Blue_2_____[ 41 k ]

Bob a

Re: Bespoke - self build - carport.

Post by Bob a » Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:21 am

Brilliant job well done Dan. What are the chains for that are hanging down at the back?
2017 R-sport 25d firenze red. 22" wheels, panoramic roof and many other extras. Wifes gift from my retirement money. But in use it more lol.

KeithL

Post by KeithL » Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:55 am

I am seriously impressed. I love the brick footings. What size are those slabs and what does each one weigh?

I'm guessing the chains are instead of downpipes from the gutter.
2017 2.0 i4 Diesel (180PS) Auto AWD Portfolio in Indus Silver with ICTP

Dan_Veluwe

Post by Dan_Veluwe » Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:11 am

@Bob a

Thanks Bob ! I am proud of this. I purchased quite a number of power tools to be able to do this job. Biggest thing I ever did, beyond
bathrooms and garden fences..

The chains are to 'guide' the water from the gutter. It is a bit fidilly : you have to 'brake' the water by meandering some shackles in the gutter,
from the side most water comes from. Then you let it touch the outlet on that side . The water 'sticks' to the chain and trickles down along the shackles.

In extreme weather it doesn't work, it just pours out of the pipe. This is a relatively easy solution, lots cheaper then letting a pipe trace the columns,
lots of curves !

Dan_Veluwe

Post by Dan_Veluwe » Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:24 am

@KeithL

I appreciate your approval a lot ! The slabs are 2.5 m x 1.0 m x 0.12 m . They have R6 rebar and weigh 715Kg each.

The guy who placed them uses a vacuum machine and a loader, no hooks or bands. The slabs have no openings on top.

The image is a screenshot from a video, not such a high resolution.

plaatsen_platen.jpg

Working out where to place the columns means fitting them in such a way you do not drill into the rebar, so I draw a pattern
with the distances from the edges of the plates, to 'translate' the drawing to a practical tool to measure 'in-the-field'.

DEF_plaat_wapening.jpg

The brick footings are a returning theme all around the house. Also untreated oak wood and natural stone window sills,
to which the slabs match in colour. Natural stone slabs in this size are extremely costly, hence the concrete.

The rear of the house : slabs all around the sides and the rear. Except for under the porches [ front and rear simular].
In the background the area of the carport, before I started working on that.

IMG_20200514_171115836.jpg

I have a lot of issues with them, since the finish is not what the manufacturer advertises. Lots of bubbles and small holes,
colour varies over a plate, center line longer then the sides, cover layer not thick enough. Very disturbing, since changing
them is not possible. The project was tightly planned, so once the pavement guy noticed the problems, new ones would
need 3 weeks at least for production. Then other projects [ leveling, seeding, irrigation, other pavements etc ] would be
frustrated. Manpower very hard to come by, I already needed to call in some favors with these people. Luckily I know
most for almost twenty years. The people leveling and bringing in 180 m³ of soil to level, are local farmers that also
take the horse manure out and spread fertilizer in .. The pavement man demolished our old house and make the
road bed with the debris, for the asfalt drive. I love to 'recycle' like that : saved on dumping the debris and also on
buying tonnes of foundation for the drive... :mrgreen:

I explained the chains to Bob, above.

Deltasierra

Post by Deltasierra » Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:11 pm

Dan you have gone to a lot of effort and have made a good finish, not criticizing that but there is no cross bracing on the frame.
In the first photo there is one large tree if that falls on to it the frame will fold like a pack of cards. It may also rock in a strong wind, structurally it is very weak.
FPace 3.0D Portfolio Loire Blue, light interior, tow bar. No issues a very good car
Gone F Pace Prestige 2 liter Auto, tow bar, reversing camera, 14 way seats, 18 inch all season tyres
XKR Convertible

Dan_Veluwe

Post by Dan_Veluwe » Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:19 pm

@Deltasierra.

Very good off you to warn me, thank you for the initiative !

On first glance it appears to be like this, but extra stability safeguards are hidden in the structure.

See the small triangles ?

IMG_20200516_213330921_red.jpg

The stiffness of the columns and the [24 !] chemical anchors in the concrete slabs take care of the forces in the vertical planes, even partly in the plane of the roof. Each anchor is certified for a 1.000 Kg -pullout- loading. So the wind could take the roof off, but the columns remain.. :lol:

IMG_20200604_195202237_red.jpg

The wooden beams are 'gripping' around the top steel ringbeam.The roofplates are sandwiched preformed steel panels, fixed with 250 D6 mm steel bolts, through the wooden beam layers.

IMG-20200528-WA0010_red.jpg

Its actually too stiff for the thickness of the walls of the columns. These would haven been best with +6mm but I chose to stay with 4mm as the weight
per section let me handle it alone by hand. Now max 18Kg ; 26Kg would have been too much to handle 'overhead' alone, without a crane !

The 'hidden' stability comes from the laminated hybrid structure of the columns. The lack of wall thickness [folding risk] is compensated by transferring the forces to outer skins of material. First the wooden spacers, these already compensate for the 6-->4 mm wall thickness.

Then the casing that gives the 'beam' appearance. These are 30mm solid planks, mitre joined edges with structural glue, nailed with steel nails to steady it during the drying. This is stronger then a solid beam since the structure of the wood is different in 4 planes.

If then -amazingly- any off-vertical displacement appears, the planks [glued with structural glue to the spacers] lean on the wooden table/skirt/spreader, transferring the load to the solid brick pedestals.

schets.jpg

And yes, probably a tree will break a section of the roof and other sections will give way. But it will not collapse under the first tree, probably not even
the second tree just after. Very much the 4th and after trees will. For this to occur I need a tornado passing exactly over the carport, gravitating all trees around towards the carport. I think such a risk is ruled out in any risk calculation !

Of course , trees lifted by a tornado, landing on the carport are quite fatal. But the roof of the house is weaker.. :roll: .

And no : I did not do the math. Its not a home, and the whole design is 'engineering opinion' from a retired mining engineer.

So its not 100% sure I did not overlook a detail somewhere. When a tree falls on it, I will post the result !

But the chances for that are more remote then the EU still kicking ten years from now.. :mrgreen:

Deltasierra

Post by Deltasierra » Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:19 am

Dan those small fillets are not enough they will twist, and 4mm box section will bend, as a minimum you need knee braces on the joins at all corners. Think of it as a cardboard box, with the ends in it’s quite strong, open both ends it folds
You could use wood or steel bolted to the frame but it must be rigid, fill in the triangle with a plywood panel to make it look good. Best wishes D

04B8A781-E43F-41D7-9679-B64EF1C9DE04.jpeg

FPace 3.0D Portfolio Loire Blue, light interior, tow bar. No issues a very good car
Gone F Pace Prestige 2 liter Auto, tow bar, reversing camera, 14 way seats, 18 inch all season tyres
XKR Convertible

Dan_Veluwe

Post by Dan_Veluwe » Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:46 am

@Deltasierra
I appreciate your concern, but it is not a problem. The design standards you are used to, are meant for industrial buildings with large surfaces enduring massive wind pressure. These also are structures 9m or taller. The standards for these structures are 'steel-only' and do not make use of hybrid/layered systems. We actually devised the layered structures to 'get away' from braces where you hit your head and make the structure ugly..

The roof is layered ; the wooden beams 'team-up' with the steel beams. The sandwich panels with 250 screws prevent angular displacement from limited forces. The columns can take a lot of force. The mechanics involved do not compare with 'a-ton-of-bricks' gravitating down on the structure.

In this area, we had hundreds of trees falling the last twenty years. They don't fall 'free' , but they are slowed by branches hitting the ground.
The last bit, around 5 to zero meters, they are almost horizontal already. So there is almost no 'push' sideways involved. This can be recognized from the damage to steel/mesh and other garden fences, which around here are 1.5-1.8m tall. The top beam -of a fence- simply bents down, not sideways.
In this case a D30cm tree fell over, hit the fence about 12m from the location of the roots. Only the plastic connector broke.

hek.jpg

But when a tree falls on the carport, we will see. I am not afraid the structure will fold easy. I asked around with some structural engineers,
but they are not aware of any modelling tool able to include all aspects of my 'layered & hybrid' design, without simplifications of details.

There is no need for such a model : this structure is far too expensive in labour to be comercially viable. Only nutcases like me spent this amount
of time on a carport.. :lol:

schets.jpg

Last edited by Dan_Veluwe on Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Jagfpacejk

Post by Jagfpacejk » Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:45 pm

Hi Dan,

Great build and great design for the carport and thank you for sharing, you have a lovely home.
Ex Owner of a Pre Launch 1st Edition Supercharged V6 and a Ex Owner of 1st Edition Diesel V6