Stolen velars

The place to discuss everything else..
June16

Stolen velars

Post by June16 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:02 am

2 in the last week
MY18 Rsport 25t BRG , Ebony - Oyster, 18 way mem, Surround Cam, blis, ICTP, LED adaptive....etc

June16

Re: Stolen velars

Post by June16 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:04 am

Last night

MY18 Rsport 25t BRG , Ebony - Oyster, 18 way mem, Surround Cam, blis, ICTP, LED adaptive....etc

ksf

Post by ksf » Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:27 pm

this is terrible indeed.
however this exploit has long been known to the manufacturers, but they basically just ignore.
Faraday box is really not a solution, but just a workaround. they would just say that "our cars meet strict security standards of the industry".

not long time ago there was also another method to steal the car.
guy would come with a diagnostic tool, which can program a new key to the car. he would get into the car and plug it into the diagnostics port and connect his new key to the car and drive away. it would take some time - but still can be done in minutes.

now they just use an extender, so the car thinks the key is inside, so gives all the access.

important thing is that people think that without a keyfob in the car - it would stop. infact it does not stop. it sometimes would even allow to restart the engine and continue.

so now you need to buy a lock on your diagnostics port. buy/make faraday box and remember to keep the key in it. but you would still be at risk even while you are parked in town enjoying dinner in a restaurant. you would need to keep the key in some case, but if you use it - means that you need to take it out before you can yourself access your car. So it is really not a solution to the problem. they need to workout a more secure connection to avoid such simple ways to fool it.

Jim

Post by Jim » Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:40 pm

The Faraday pouch/box is effective in stopping relay thefts, in that to enter and start the car is a challenge and response system between the key and car so both have to be RF visible concurrently to each other. Though using a pouch or box shouldn't be necessary as manufacturers could make the systems a lot more secure, as described in the paper that someone kindly published on here a while ago.

I'm still probably more in favour of this non-violent method of theft (much more prefer no thefts at all though) than the previous method of breaking into people's houses and threatening them with a gun or knife to get the keys and then steal the car - a much more traumatic experience I would imagine.
Ex 2016, MY17 - 2.0 D, Portfolio - Dec 2018 RR Velar D300 HSE R-Dynamic

Jagfpacejk

Post by Jagfpacejk » Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:20 pm

Jim wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:40 pm
The Faraday pouch/box is effective in stopping relay thefts, in that to enter and start the car is a challenge and response system between the key and car so both have to be RF visible concurrently to each other. Though using a pouch or box shouldn't be necessary as manufacturers could make the systems a lot more secure, as described in the paper that someone kindly published on here a while ago.

I'm still probably more in favour of this non-violent method of theft (much more prefer no thefts at all though) than the previous method of breaking into people's houses and threatening them with a gun or knife to get the keys and then steal the car - a much more traumatic experience I would imagine.
I know what your saying but to me it should not happen, you should not be able to relay start a car and then drive it away, just have the keys go into sleep mode after 30 seconds and problem gone.

As for the violent way, well it works both ways, if you feel your family is in danger you can use force by law to protect yourself and your family, i have a little something special just in case. ;)
Ex Owner of a Pre Launch 1st Edition Supercharged V6 and a Ex Owner of 1st Edition Diesel V6

MRB

Post by MRB » Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:01 am

Unfortunately "your special something" as you put it could get you locked away for a long stretch! Most probably for longer than the thieves.

corriescar66

Post by corriescar66 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:33 am

Anyone noticed the two thefts occurred within less than 10 miles of each other?

Do check your faraday bags.... The first on I bought 18 months ago no longer works, but a further two just under a year old still do, so they have a shelf life.

June16

Post by June16 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:18 am

corriescar66 wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:33 am

Do check your faraday bags.... The first on I bought 18 months ago no longer works, but a further two just under a year old still do, so they have a shelf life.
Yes pouches don’t last forever !

Same area , same clothes , same device...

Jim

Post by Jim » Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:02 pm

corriescar66 wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:33 am

Yep, walked up to my car this afternoon and got in the car, then realised my keys were still in the pouch! Now ordered a replacement for the 8 month old one.

The sweetie tin in my office is still working fine as a faraday cage for our spare keys after many years of service, and the bonus was I had to eat the sweets before we could use it :D
Ex 2016, MY17 - 2.0 D, Portfolio - Dec 2018 RR Velar D300 HSE R-Dynamic

DPE

Post by DPE » Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:44 pm

I wonder if the manufacturer has come up with any new ideas to protect the product that we buy ? Probably just a sweat tin with their logo on the lid... lol
F Pace 3.0d S AWD, Corris Grey, Heated Seats front/Rear, Heated Steering Wheel, Panoramic roof, Space Saver wheel and Nice wheels, lots of Stuff.. and cup covers 8-)

Return to “Off-Topic Chat”