The public perception of Jag owners...

The place to discuss everything else..
Sevenoaksbull

Re: The public perception of Jag owners...

Post by Sevenoaksbull » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:09 pm

chris wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:08 pm
You either love or loath these three- personally loath them especially the big gob from Doncaster. I worked damned hard for my Jaaag and find people give you that little bit more respect when they see you pull up in one- well that's my perception what's everyone else's ?
Well each to their own, I’ve always liked Clarkson and Co, especially James May. They are basically sending themselves up and are clever enough to make it funny. The archetypal Jaaag owner is spot on and Mrs S even refers to the FP as the Jaaaaahhg, as do my brothers, who like me appreciate the TG 3.

I get a lot of ‘nice motor’ comments, but I wouldn’t say more respect when you pull up in one. In a Range Rover yes; not a blingy one mind, has to be ‘proper’, as in unwashed and with evidence of country sport participation like a BASC sticker.

Am I typical Jag owner? Well let’s see, mid 50s, senior position in a large and reputable consultancy, comfortably off, married to the same woman for a long time, lives in an affluent town in the South East, has a Jag in BRG with light coloured leather and wouldn’t contemplate 4 cylinders in a car with a leaper badge. But I don’t have a golf club blazer, I’m too honest to be a cad and this is my first Jag after 17 years of Land Rover products.

So I reckon not typical, no doubt others will think differently.......
F Pace 3.0D V6 300PS Portfolio BRG/latte

Steve C

Post by Steve C » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:34 pm

Jagfpacejk wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:18 pm
Steve C wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:59 pm
Matteus F-Pace wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:46 pm
Hey Steve - does the 'C' stand for 'Cad' by any chance? You'll fit in well here.... :lol:
Not quite, but my line of work involves tax which is partly why it made me chuckle :)
Oh really.

Umm evening sir, I tip my hat to the tax man. :D
It's OK, I'm one of the good guys ;)
No F-Pace yet. Looking...

Deltasierra

Post by Deltasierra » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:40 pm

I pretty much fit the Jag perception having had one Jag or another for 30 yrs so just smile and say nothing. I do have a perception of Beemer drivers and Mercs, Minis and Porsches too but no perception of Audi drivers, nothing, almost as bad as Lexus or Toyota.
As for RR, drive one for image only on suitable occasions, owners usually have a string of trophy cars along with the trophy wives. Out in the sticks there is nothing like a battle scared Defender with a BASC sticker and dogs in the back
FPace 3.0D Portfolio Loire Blue, light interior, tow bar. No issues a very good car
Gone F Pace Prestige 2 liter Auto, tow bar, reversing camera, 14 way seats, 18 inch all season tyres
XKR Convertible

Jim

Post by Jim » Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:07 pm

Years ago shortly after I got my first Jag, an XJ (the older long sleek aluminium version before the current shape), I was attending a boxing match at a local hall with my sons, for something to do that evening as it had been years since I had last been to watch boxing live. When we arrived the car park attendant took one look at the car, stopped the other traffic and waved me into one of the remaining parking spaces, I was well impressed but do wonder who he thought I was :D
Oct 2016 - 2.0 D, Portfolio, Auto, AWD, Ultimate Black, Light Oyster, 14-Way Front Seats with Passenger and Drivers memory pack, electrically adjustable steering wheel, 360⁰ parking aid, ICTP 380W, LED headlights, remote rear seat release.

Smitten

Post by Smitten » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:55 pm

Jim wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:07 pm
Years ago shortly after I got my first Jag, an XJ (the older long sleek aluminium version before the current shape), I was attending a boxing match at a local hall with my sons, for something to do that evening as it had been years since I had last been to watch boxing live. When we arrived the car park attendant took one look at the car, stopped the other traffic and waved me into one of the remaining parking spaces, I was well impressed but do wonder who he thought I was :D
One of the Krays? :lol:
3.0d S, Santorini black, black pack, 22" black rims, LEDs, Priv, 350W, ICTP, Ebony interior, AdSR, space saver, config ambient, remote release, lumbar, winter pack, rear recline. Build date Friday 13/4/18 :D

Bob a

Post by Bob a » Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:51 am

My wife and I had an interesting time at the weekend at a local show "Royal highland show in Edinburgh". At the Jaaaaaaag stand my wife was looking round the cars (we have a F-pace R sport) to see if we were to change what would the next one be. Nothing came close for us to be honest, not for our needs.
My wife looked in the F-pace and a guy was in the passenger seat telling the sales person why he loves BMW and what Jaaaaaag does not do for him. Why was he there then, just to diss the Jaaaag? Go then and be somewhere where people are interested in what you have to say. Good on my wife, she put the positives across in a manner that was far more polite that I would ever have managed.
Then there was the sales person hmmm. Now bear in mind we were there in "comfortable" clothes, with my grandson and the dogs. The sales person talked about the dogs and came across strongly that there was no belief we were Jaaaaag owners. I then told the sales person the car we had and it was great for the dogs, plenty of room. "You put the dogs in the car". OMG yes this is a superb car for us, love it a lot, but it is a car and has a purpose to serve - the key point for us at the time for buying was do the dogs fit in.

So long story short. Yes there is a public perception (what ever it may be) of the Jaaaag owner - I actually like that. However there is also a perception of the owners of Jaaaags by some of the sales team and in the eyes of that one we did not fit the bill. How wrong that person was. And if I had met that one at the time of buying, out of principle, I would have gone elsewhere and missed out on a great car.

Blucat

Post by Blucat » Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:09 pm

Interesting reading in this thread.

Jaguar are trying to build cars to appeal to a larger demographic, which they are successfully doing (as I dont think Im a typical owner) however the old brand perceptions are possibly strangling ownership propositions.

Whilst everyone has their own individual reasons for going for a jag rather than other premium brands, what would be interesting to know is of the current owners who has bought privately versus the company car/business user, and then measure up these owners against perceptions.

Dunno, just a thought...
MY19 Rsport 25t Blue, 19Fans, Oyster & lime, Grey Ash, 18way mem, Surround Cam, Meridian, HtdWScreen, Pano, Privacy, 350Brakes, suede lining, skinny spare

Smitten

Post by Smitten » Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:16 pm

Never judge a book by its cover! My ex is Swedish and she was once sitting on the tube munching a large bag of crisps. Two Swedish tourists opposite start up in best Stockholm Swedish about the appalling habits of Brits only to get a mouthful from said ex in colloquial Swedish about the importance of manners and not judging! You never know who you are dealing with and you really can't tell by the trappings. May look the part and have the money but be an ex con who has done time for handling stolen goods or may ride a bike, dress in shabby clothes but be an internationally famous personality. No such animal as a typical Jag driver but fun stereotypes in clip!
3.0d S, Santorini black, black pack, 22" black rims, LEDs, Priv, 350W, ICTP, Ebony interior, AdSR, space saver, config ambient, remote release, lumbar, winter pack, rear recline. Build date Friday 13/4/18 :D

Sevenoaksbull

Post by Sevenoaksbull » Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:54 pm

Blucat wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:09 pm

Whilst everyone has their own individual reasons for going for a jag rather than other premium brands, what would be interesting to know is of the current owners who has bought privately versus the company car/business user, and then measure up these owners against perceptions.

Dunno, just a thought...
Well to start the ball rolling...... I bought my car so not restricted in any way by lease or tax considerations. Financed using a PCP, but that means my capital is earning interest and not being eaten by a depreciating asset. Monthly payments from salary, but could settle the finance at any time. Its the way I’ve been buying cars for years.

Just reading between the lines of many of the posts on here, I’d guess that the majority of the 2.0 litre drivers are company car/lease drivers and those with V6s are the self financing owners. Bound to be exceptions to that rule though.
F Pace 3.0D V6 300PS Portfolio BRG/latte

Bob a

Post by Bob a » Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:50 pm

I bought mine as a personal car, cash.

Return to “Off-Topic Chat”