Landrover moves Discovery build to Slovakia.

The place to discuss everything else..
June16

Landrover moves Discovery build to Slovakia.

Post by June16 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:25 pm

MY18 Rsport 25t BRG , Ebony - Oyster, 18 way mem, Surround Cam, blis, ICTP, LED adaptive....etc

Jagfpacejk

Re: Landrover moves Discovery build to Slovakia.

Post by Jagfpacejk » Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:12 pm

Fell sorry for the workers, some will no doubt loose there jobs.
Ex Owner of a Pre Launch 1st Edition Supercharged V6 and a Ex Owner of 1st Edition Diesel V6

JOCK55

Post by JOCK55 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:11 pm

This isn't really news, it was announced nearly 3 years ago! See this link: http://fortune.com/2015/08/11/jaguar-la ... -slovakia/

It would seem to make sound business sense to me, especially as it was accompanied by a huge grant from the EU for the move. It gels well with their other overseas plants in Brazil, India and China. Note that the "Premium" brands of Jaguar and Range Rover are remaining in UK!

Jock
MY19 R-SPORT, Caesium Blue, Ingenium i4 300PS Turbo Petrol, AWD with all the bells and whistles.

Bob a

Post by Bob a » Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:32 pm

I wonder how many other things will go like this with Brexit

jagman2017

Post by jagman2017 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:59 pm

But the reason it’s closing is so it can be expanded and re tooled to produce the new Range Rover and the new elcectriic cars that will take the brand in to the future
So not all doom and gloom guys.
2.0 Petrol R sport caesium Blue 22” Black wheels Black pack, puddle lights, 380 ict pro pack, ambient lighting, seats oyster & lime stitching,privacy glass.panoramic roof,glasses holder,10 way electric seats, xenon lights, sliding cup holder cover

Deltasierra

Post by Deltasierra » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:00 pm

JOCK55 wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:11 pm
This isn't really news, it was announced nearly 3 years ago! See this link: http://fortune.com/2015/08/11/jaguar-la ... -slovakia/

It would seem to make sound business sense to me, especially as it was accompanied by a huge grant from the EU for the move. It gels well with their other overseas plants in Brazil, India and China. Note that the "Premium" brands of Jaguar and Range Rover are remaining in UK!

Jock
" Premium brands Range Rover and Jaguar to stay in UK"
That was 3 years ago, if Brexit continues badly and we end up with no deal all bets are off. ALL UK car makers are going to look towards Eastern and Southern Europe where investment incentives are much more attractive.
From the business point of view there is no bright side to Brexit.
FPace 3.0D Portfolio Loire Blue, light interior, tow bar. No issues a very good car
Gone F Pace Prestige 2 liter Auto, tow bar, reversing camera, 14 way seats, 18 inch all season tyres
XKR Convertible

JAGFlubster

Post by JAGFlubster » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:08 pm

Deltasierra wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:00 pm
JOCK55 wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:11 pm

Jock
" Premium brands Range Rover and Jaguar to stay in UK"
That was 3 years ago, if Brexit continues badly and we end up with no deal all bets are off. ALL UK car makers are going to look towards Eastern and Southern Europe where investment incentives are much more attractive.
From the business point of view there is no bright side to Brexit.
Is the disco a big seller in the EU then? Doesn't seem to be a pure brexit mitigation play to me. Possibly something about shifting low margin production to a place where costs are a lot lower and heavily subsidised . Brexit seems like a convenient excuse, but it makes sound business sense.

For the record, i will add that I'm no brexiteer. Bloody stupid idea, but hey ho it's what the people wanted! Screwing up my industry no end.

Flub!
3.0D 2018 S. Loire Blue, opening Pano roof, ictp, Adsr, space saver wheel, practicality pack, cold climate pack, HUD

JOCK55

Post by JOCK55 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:19 pm

Nobody has said it was anything to do with Brexit. You cannot pin everything you perceive as negative to Brexit, convenient as that would be. The decision was made long before any referendum. It was a commercial decision. JLR needed to expand production. The British government weren't going to provide a successful UK business any financial assistance to grow further. The EU government needed to get some employment prospects for their Eastern European Members and were prepared to pay companies to execute programmes such as this. Ipso facto, JLR expand into Slovakia (along with Peugot and some other manufacturers. At the time the EU were far more concerned that their newly admitted Eastern EU members were going to quit, not a founding member.

Jock
MY19 R-SPORT, Caesium Blue, Ingenium i4 300PS Turbo Petrol, AWD with all the bells and whistles.

Deltasierra

Post by Deltasierra » Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:44 pm

My comment was that other models from JLR would likely be built on the same production line, just like they are in Solihull.

It's a big wide world out there and the lower tech models built in Slovakia certainly would be good sellers outside Europe, so why not more in Europe. Also although Diesel and Petrol is going to be phased out here they will be selling In developing countries much longer, JLR have a brand new engine factory and they want to keep it busy long term.
FPace 3.0D Portfolio Loire Blue, light interior, tow bar. No issues a very good car
Gone F Pace Prestige 2 liter Auto, tow bar, reversing camera, 14 way seats, 18 inch all season tyres
XKR Convertible

Return to “Off-Topic Chat”