1 Week 800+ Miles Planned Trip

The place to discuss everything else..
Gdank

1 Week 800+ Miles Planned Trip

Post by Gdank » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:12 pm

So with half term next week, I'm taking my wife, parents, and son on a tour around Wales, with a quick stop in Lymington & Manchester to see some relatives.

So a full car of people and luggage, a ton of A roads, and 800+ Miles ... should be fun!

Also this will be the first time I've used the car more than just a long weekend at most. This will be everyday from Friday Night to Saturday night.

The map below shows 750ish miles ... but I will be using t he car to drive from the hotels we are staying at to Local Attractions, etc.. so will easily go over 800miles... if not 900+

I'm going to reset my Trip B before we leave home and I'll be using this post as a sort of blog, so lots of pictures (hopefully) and good driving roads. Plus will post my Trip results at the end.

I may change the trip from Cardiff to Llanberis to go up the West Cost line ... as I've been told this a fantastic road and view. I may do this ... as it only adds 20mins to the drive but does mean a lot more M4 rather than A roads.

Anyway Map :-

Oct Trip.PNG

Owned : 3.0d Sport (2016) - Owned 1 Year! 7000 miles : Issues = None - Stolen! Get a Steering Wheel Lock!

Jagfpacejk

Re: 1 Week 800+ Miles Planned Trip

Post by Jagfpacejk » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:14 pm

Looks a great road trip, fingers crossed for you the roads are not too congested, Enjoy my friend.
Ex Owner of a Pre Launch 1st Edition Supercharged V6 and a Ex Owner of 1st Edition Diesel V6

Catgirl10

Post by Catgirl10 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:55 am

Hi Gdank
Couldn’t have picked a nicer area but as you are in North Wales try out the road network they call the “Evo Triangle” (google and it will give you the route). It’s where they did all testing for the Fpace. Watch out for the authorities though lots of drivers use it like a racetrack and they don’t like it.
Due Nov 2017- R sport 2.0D AWD auto, Firenze Red, pana roof, 20in venom black wheels, ICPT, 10-way seats, elect adj steering wheel, privacy glass, dynamic suspension, mood lighting, black pack, LED lighting, tow bar,

Gdank

Post by Gdank » Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:35 am

Thanks for the heads up Catgirl10.

I remember back in 2003 when I got my Mini Copper S we went to North Wales, and I must have unknowingly already done 2 out of 3 sides of that route.

If I get a chance for a detour then I’ll defiantly be up for it! I do remember the police vans were set up all along the A5! I especially remember one that was set up on a small duel carriageway just after miles of single lane. Obviously we were stuck behind a Caravan for most of it, and this was the first passing opportunity..... so the scum bags set up there to catch people over taking vehicles. Luckily I saw them and never went over 60 to overtake the slower stuff - but I’m sure others would miss them and creep up to 70-ish just to overtake faster. (Btw there was a 60 limit ... I’m aware that it’s 70 otherwise on a duel carriageway- just before someone points it out to me ;-) )

JK - I’m’m sure the driving gods will look down in favour for me :P
Owned : 3.0d Sport (2016) - Owned 1 Year! 7000 miles : Issues = None - Stolen! Get a Steering Wheel Lock!

Gdank

Post by Gdank » Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:47 am

Part one complete ...

FFCC64B4-7BB6-4666-96B0-5CE6F8ACE371.jpeg

Not sure why it lost the final part of the M3 and Journey through the new forest was missing, but we were driving through the start of the storm down here, heavy rain and winds - may have effected it.

Still mostly all motorway and wife was driving hence the good MPG :P

Jags cat

Post by Jags cat » Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:19 am

I suggest the next time you take that direct route on the last stage,... that you ring up customer services and ask them how you file a flight plan on the Fpace sat nav😂

Regards JC.
Arrived,JA65 CAT plate, 2 ltr R-sport,ammonite grey, black pack, pano roof, 22" silver helix alloys, meridian upgrade, black/red interior, mood lighting, full size spare,rear camera, serv pack,H/screen, and anything else I can get pass the wife!

Gdank

Post by Gdank » Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:25 pm

Wasn’t going to post again today .... but a quick journey today and the Jag-Nav took us one of those “WTF” type routes ... with 3-4 miles being single lane - high walled bushes on both side - country lane.

I could have said no and stayed in the B roads until it corrected my course ... but I love Jag-Nav!

0D081E83-1685-4DE8-868F-575C1BDA9D63.jpeg

Finally got to the south coast ... winds nearly took the doors off!

AD565A48-0C5E-45E6-8EC5-84E0B11E889C.jpeg

Gdank

Post by Gdank » Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:16 pm

Update :

Decided to take a slightly longer route from Cardiff to Llanberis...well worth the view, and stopped for a good lunch.

Had to use google maps for the picture, as the Jag app did the same as above ... half the journey is ok but the last half is a straight line.

7636B9B6-9546-4057-BD48-A07FA6BCADA8.jpeg

The roads on the first 3/4 were amazing in general. Easily wide enough, mostly 60mph limit, and very smooth!

Having the 3.0D was pure joy to do this journey... having that 700Kn torque just made the drive a pure pleasure. Smooth when cruising ... torque when you needed it going up hill without needing to rev the engine ... and the power to overtake anything you want.

I’ll admit overtaking someone on a motorway is nice, but I didn’t fully appreciate the 40/50 to 70/80 performance when you really need it on single lane roads like these. If I got 200-300m or more clear view of the opposite side of the road, and the car in front was doing 10-20mph less than the speed limit, the ability to floor it and just overtake in an instant is intoxicating.

I used Dyanmic with steering off almost all the way, and still achivened 30-35 mpg. I didn’t use sport A’s really the only change is that it keeps the rev’s higher ... although did use it on a lot of the up/down hill sections, as I had power when I needed it and low gears on the down hill sections.

The last 1/4 of the trip was a little more “interesting” .... the roads were a lot narrower... sometime only one and a half cars wide, plus the roads were a lot bumpier and poorly maintained. I felt then that the S (sports) set up and 22” wheels wasn’t doing my passengers a favour ... especially after 3.5 hours already in the car.

However we made it safety and no one felt sick!

One final note .... due to the heavy rain on most of the journey, I did plough through a few deep puddles on my left side. The car hardly pulled or even noticed apart from the noise. I’ve had cars for 20+ years and the best before the Jag was my 4x4 Kia Sorento ... but that even pulled.
So very impressed by the AWD system.

catwoman

Post by catwoman » Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:32 pm

Enjoying reading about your journey and impressions of the car Gdank, thanks for the posts . . . keep 'em coming . . the journey maps are good, but some more pics of your car at various locations along the way would really help bring it further to life! :P
8-) . . been enjoying since July '16, 2.0d R-Sport, Ammonite + Black Pack, Jet/Red interior and a few useful options

Gdank

Post by Gdank » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:59 pm

I would post more pics .... but car parks not the best pictures and the weather has been terrible too.

Return to “Off-Topic Chat”