Off to give the Range Rover Velar a go...

The place to discuss everything else..
Jagfpacejk

Re: Off to give the Range Rover Velar a go...

Post by Jagfpacejk » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:55 pm

Arianne wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:38 pm
corriescar66 wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:18 pm
What's sweet is you guys are posting on here a few minutes before the Velar forum....

See, your loyalties are secretly with Jaguar after all !! :P :lol:
My review is equally of value to both Velar and F-Pace owners, and anyone considering the possible purchase of either.

I have tried to be objective (perception permitting ;) ) and you can see from my conclusion that I actually think both cars are great. But each in their own way.

Is the F-Pace as refined as the Velar? No it isn't. But then folk like me will be parting with another £10 - £13k for that experience. When this is factored into the equation there really isn't much between them in terms of value. Others have rightly said that the Velar is pretty expensive in a conventional sense. And, for that matter, so are the V6 F-Pace's when an overly simple cross comparison is made with cars like the X4, X3 etc.

But that is missing the point. Both have character. They are different from anything else available right now. And both are good cars.

This is a car forum. Specifically this is an SUV forum for F-Pace. It makes sense that a review of the Velar - an SUV off of the same production line, from the same manufacturer and sharing the same platform is given some exposure on here.

Enjoy your F-Pace's. I did and I still have very fond memories of ours, albeit too briefly.

Arianne
This is why there is a section called off topic on this forum ;)
Ex Owner of a Pre Launch 1st Edition Supercharged V6 and a Ex Owner of 1st Edition Diesel V6

Mbadger77

Post by Mbadger77 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:04 pm

Arianne.
A very good and enjoyable write up indeed. I do enjoy your posts and this one is excellent, the car sounds like one I would really enjoy but I think the SVR version (if there ever was such a thing) or a punchier petrol engine / V8 would be the one for me.
I've made a decision I won't buy diesel ever again now and the V6 petrol sounds like it will be good but not quite good enough, and once you tie in the crazy price variation versus the equivalent petrol, then I can't justify it.

Great review though !
3L Petrol, 22 black Helix (swapped with FIrst Edition 22 Helix), Ultimate Black, BP, Pano, Brogue, Jet, Priv, 825W, Control Pro, ASR, Climate Front Seats, Practicality Pack, Scuff Plate, Blind Spot

Jagfpacejk

Post by Jagfpacejk » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:20 pm

Mbadger77 wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:04 pm
Arianne.
A very good and enjoyable write up indeed. I do enjoy your posts and this one is excellent, the car sounds like one I would really enjoy but I think the SVR version (if there ever was such a thing) or a punchier petrol engine / V8 would be the one for me.
I've made a decision I won't buy diesel ever again now and the V6 petrol sounds like it will be good but not quite good enough, and once you tie in the crazy price variation versus the equivalent petrol, then I can't justify it.

Great review though !
If you think the V6 petrol price is crazy then you can bet an SVR will top 100K for sure.
Ex Owner of a Pre Launch 1st Edition Supercharged V6 and a Ex Owner of 1st Edition Diesel V6

DarrenA

Post by DarrenA » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:26 pm

Excellent review. Fully enjoyed reading that. I had a look at the weekend and of course I am still in the honeymoon period of the F-Pace which I am loving. The F-Pace is definitely "two cars in one". Its handling and performance are top drawer and a button press puts you back in "GT Cruiser" mode although I fully admit the Velar cabin is a master piece and better (but its priced accordingly).

Two things stood out though and you mention one in your report. The F-Pace turns heads. As we walked around the showroom, my wife wasn't immediately taken by it. She remarked they all look a bit samey (RR, RRS, Velar, Evoque) and as we walked back to the car, the F-Pace stood out as the best looking (of course it would in a sea of Range Rovers but nevertheless, it did).

The killer blow though was that the Velar's boot when open is about 5' 10". I hit my head on it and the boot has a lip the size of a house brick. Both red lines for us (cos boot access is important).

However as a car to "waft" in. I think they have created a new benchmark. It is lovely. I am sure it will be amazing to drive day to day.
F-Pace 2.0 (240PS) R-Sport in Black. Heated Windscreen, folding mirrors, Lumbar, Opening Panoramic Roof, Privacy Glass, Heated Steering Wheel, Rear View Camera

Arianne

Post by Arianne » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:39 pm

DarrenA wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:26 pm
Excellent review. Fully enjoyed reading that. I had a look at the weekend and of course I am still in the honeymoon period of the F-Pace which I am loving. The F-Pace is definitely "two cars in one". Its handling and performance are top drawer and a button press puts you back in "GT Cruiser" mode although I fully admit the Velar cabin is a master piece and better (but its priced accordingly).

Two things stood out though and you mention one in your report. The F-Pace turns heads. As we walked around the showroom, my wife wasn't immediately taken by it. She remarked they all look a bit samey (RR, RRS, Velar, Evoque) and as we walked back to the car, the F-Pace stood out as the best looking (of course it would in a sea of Range Rovers but nevertheless, it did).

The killer blow though was that the Velar's boot when open is about 5' 10". I hit my head on it and the boot has a lip the size of a house brick. Both red lines for us (cos boot access is important).

However as a car to "waft" in. I think they have created a new benchmark. It is lovely. I am sure it will be amazing to drive day to day.

^^ I will miss the thrilling drive mode, even though the Velar gets close. And, deep down (and I am sad to admit this), I will also miss the fact that the Velar isn't such a head-turner as F-Pace with the right specification.

To one and all, thank you for your kind feedback. I enjoyed the write-up almost as much as the test drive!

How fortunate are we all to be in a position to enjoy driving either F-Pace or Velar? Let's exploit it by focusing on the great things that both cars offer rather than the missing 10%.

Have a nice Monday.

Arianne
Rejected but still affectionately remembered: F-Pace 3.0d V6 S, IRR, 18 way jet/red sports seats + full memory, privacy glass, 22" silver/black double helix, cold climate pack!

Postl

Post by Postl » Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:53 pm

Arianne wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:39 pm
DarrenA wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:26 pm

^^ I will miss the thrilling drive mode, even though the Velar gets close. And, deep down (and I am sad to admit this), I will also miss the fact that the Velar isn't such a head-turner as F-Pace with the right specification.

To one and all, thank you for your kind feedback. I enjoyed the write-up almost as much as the test drive!

How fortunate are we all to be in a position to enjoy driving either F-Pace or Velar? Let's exploit it by focusing on the great things that both cars offer rather than the missing 10%.

Have a nice Monday.

Arianne
Hi Arianne
Thank you for your honest review of how you found both the cars and really enjoyed the read. I really hope you enjoy your new Velar and longer term have many many thousands of trouble free miles of enjoyment..

Paul
2.0L AWD 180HP Prestige, Fugi White, Light Oyster seats with Pistachio Stitch, Light Oyster Morzine Heading, Satin Fine Line Wood Veneer. Opening Panoramic Sun Roof, Rear View Camera, Park Assist, 360 Parking Aid, Rear bumper protector.

Arianne

Post by Arianne » Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:45 pm

^^ well, I am realistic. It's a JLR product and I am also taking ownership within the first twelve months from launch. Somehow, the prospect of thousands of miles of trouble free motoring seems a little optimistic. But I can hope!

The early feedback from the very first owners who have taken delivery of their Velars is more positive than when F-Pace was launched back in April 2016. I remember that it took just a few weeks for this forum to shift from enthusiastic expectation to frustration and disappointment. Things have since settled down in 2017 in the land of F-Pace ownership. It's altogether quieter on the Velar forum since launch by comparison - perhaps JLR have learned something since the Jaguar's launch.

Thanks again for your kind words.

Arianne
Rejected but still affectionately remembered: F-Pace 3.0d V6 S, IRR, 18 way jet/red sports seats + full memory, privacy glass, 22" silver/black double helix, cold climate pack!

corriescar66

Post by corriescar66 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:52 pm

Here's an interesting attempt for you....
fpace on velar.pdf
(1003.48 KiB) Downloaded 60 times
Difficult as Velar builder gives true side on view, F Pace is slightly twisted...

However, you can see (just about) how the same basic chassis works on both cars...

The rear overhang on the Velar is slightly longer, but the rear doors are shorter. The position of the gap between front and rear doors is identical.

The front door is longer into the front wing on the Velar. The roof line is slightly lower on Velar.

So. If the boot is longer on Velar (but not as high - hence the similar volume) then the rear seats must be slightly further forward - which I doubt as the seat frames for both cars are identical. Maybe just an optical illusion due to the reduced height of the Velar. Either way, if the boot is bigger, then the cabin has to be smaller and visa versa. It says 'Velar' on the back and not 'TARDIS'....

(Both cars were built to same spec for 2.0L 30t. Velar is just under £8k more than F Pace. Change to 3.0L and the price difference becomes ~£12k)

As regards to reliability, perhaps they launched the F Pace first as they really were using us as guinea pigs for Velar owners and not 18MY F Paces as we thought.
Nov 2016: 3.0 S V6 Supercharged Petrol/Italiana da Corsa Rossa / Jet-Taurus/ 22" Helix etc....

Jagfpacejk

Post by Jagfpacejk » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:27 pm

corriescar66 wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:52 pm
Here's an interesting attempt for you....

fpace on velar.pdf

Difficult as Velar builder gives true side on view, F Pace is slightly twisted...

However, you can see (just about) how the same basic chassis works on both cars...

The rear overhang on the Velar is slightly longer, but the rear doors are shorter. The position of the gap between front and rear doors is identical.

The front door is longer into the front wing on the Velar. The roof line is slightly lower on Velar.

So. If the boot is longer on Velar (but not as high - hence the similar volume) then the rear seats must be slightly further forward - which I doubt as the seat frames for both cars are identical. Maybe just an optical illusion due to the reduced height of the Velar. Either way, if the boot is bigger, then the cabin has to be smaller and visa versa. It says 'Velar' on the back and not 'TARDIS'....

(Both cars were built to same spec for 2.0L 30t. Velar is just under £8k more than F Pace. Change to 3.0L and the price difference becomes ~£12k)

As regards to reliability, perhaps they launched the F Pace first as they really were using us as guinea pigs for Velar owners and not 18MY F Paces as we thought.
As the cars are very similar I would say that some of the issues on the Fpace will have been resolved for the Velar.

Some velar owners are saying the screens are slow to respond, some are not so it would appear like the Fpace the issues are random.

Arianne

Post by Arianne » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:05 pm

Hello Corries Dad,

That's a good merged image you have there.

I think that the seating area is a bit better in the F-Pace for the rear occupants compared to Velar. That's how they created the extra boot capacity in the Range Rover - by sacrificing a tiny bit of rear passenger leg room?

I haven't done the math or studied the drawings. Just a hunch.

Personally, I would have preferred a bit more leg room for the rear passengers even if the boot depth shrank by a few cm.

Small issues.

Best wishes,

Arianne

Return to “Off-Topic Chat”