Off to give the Range Rover Velar a go...

The place to discuss everything else..
dw-fp-jag

Re: Off to give the Range Rover Velar a go...

Post by dw-fp-jag » Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:19 pm

Hi Arianne,
I'm not a regular 'poster' on here and I'm no petrol head or geek who will use all the technology options but I read all the new posts every day and read with interest your purchase, reviews and initial experience with the Velar; so positive in all respects.... until now which is so sad and disappointing to hear. I'm sure you can tell from earlier posts that we all feel for you and also hear the negative vibes towards JLR and their overall service offering.
I'm told my new F Pace is due for delivery next week after a near-4 month wait and after an issue with the wrong colour and spec being delivered in early Sept which I rejected and re-ordered. Whilst I am excited and looking forward to next week I can't help feeling some trepidation as to what will be wrong rather than what will be right - and have already found myself saying to friends that I expect the car to be in the dealers with 'teething troubles' several times in the first few months. Not a great way to feel about my very first brand new car!
Anyway, getting to the point, my own view is that if there are any problems that can't be sorted with a short and sharp dealer visit, no more than a couple of days, I will reject the car. All this pussy footing around with various tests and long winded waiting times of weeks and months is totally unacceptable for a prestige product. Quite simply all the problems we read about on this forum should have been resolved at the testing stage, they should have tested these cars to the n'th degree so they hit the dealerships as perfect; if not the engineers involved should be sacked or resign. If we, as new owners, don't continue to reject then JLR aren't going to learn their product has too many defects and do something about it both in production quality and customer service terms. We are not guinea pigs, we are hard working folk who are splashing out on an aspirational product and JLR should remember that.
Having said all that it's obviously your call as to how to handle your current issue - personally I agree with others in saying reject, or at the very least order a new replacement with some element of compensation from JLR. I'd also want reassurances that the current fault has been resolved or you could end up in a cycle of defective products.
Good luck with your decision and I hope your family conference reaches mutual agreement as to the way forward.
Last edited by dw-fp-jag on Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
R Sport 250D Auto, Silicon Silver, ebony/oyster seats, ICTP, adaptive dynamics and lights, park assist, blind spot, 4-way lumbar, heated folding mirrors, heated w/screen, i/r screen, pan roof, keyless entry, space saver, 350mm brakes, boot release.

F-Pace S

Post by F-Pace S » Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:29 pm

Arianne,
I am very sorry to hear of your issues, we spoke at length following the FP issues that we both suffered, and I agree with the comments above sadly, JLR are just rushing out cars, and the quality is suffering. The Velar forum is full of issues too as you know, one even breaking down before he even got home.

I very very nearly went Velar, however I was worried this would happen, and I can honestly say, apart from the odd pang when I see a 22" shod FPace S, I have never looked back since I said goodbye to my second one. So far, 9k fault free miles, exactly as it should be for a £60k car, even though I got it for £40k with delivery mileage, every cloud and all that.

I was considering a new RR Sport in a couple of years, but I have to say the Velar forum has put me off that too.

My answer is......reject.

Piers
Rejected two beautiful F-Pace 3.0d S's, loved them both, other than the many faults. :cry: Back to a 535d BMW for me, not ruling out another JLR...Velar...but not in the first year of production again. JLR need to pull their socks up.

JLRnumber5

Post by JLRnumber5 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:05 pm

corriescar66 wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:55 am

Since Arianne rejected, just how many people have additionally reported this fault on here? 1, maybe 2 at most.

A bit of perspective is necessary. I recall the doomsayers telling all of us with 22" wheels we'll be squeaking round the block sooner rather than later.

The flood hasn't appeared, maybe a couple of drips from the tap, but no reason to build an ark just yet.

This is probably why it isn't in the press. The guy who actually shot Kennedy from a flying saucer isn't paying the press blood money to suppress this, it just isn't common enough and they ain't interested.
:lol:

I have a theory as well. Not only is it a certain combo (engine, wheel size) but also you need some triggers. For me it was two long fast journeys to South West France.

I had zero rubbing noise on FP2 at 3000 miles. Then I did 700 miles in 12 hours at high speed with two short breaks. The noise started. Fairly feint but noticeable. I then pootled around Aquitaine/Dordogne for a week without the sound getting noticeable louder. Then I did the 700 mile journey in reverse and by the end the noise was very noticeable and vibration could be felt in the cabin.

Had I not done those two journeys I believe I could still be driving around in an F Pace perhaps only now saying "did you hear that??"
Two 3.0D F-pace S gone but not forgotten.

Arianne

Post by Arianne » Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:13 pm

Hello folks,

Thank you for your kind words and opinions (all of which are appreciated, whatever they are).

After a lengthy family discussion last night and a further discussion with my dealer this morning, we have decided upon Option 1 - persevere, keep the car and work with the dealer and JLR to find a solution.

There are a number of reasons for this....

Firstly, the dealer has agreed to provide an open-ended extension to the period within which a ‘no cost’ rejection can occur. We have agreed to work together and keep reviewing the position as events unfold.

Secondly, we just don’t fancy any other car. We certainly tried last night but there is nothing else we want. The noise is, as I have said, not as loud as on the earlier F-Pace. It is very feint.

Thirdly, both the dealership and we think that, because of the Technical Bulletin which has been issued for a proposed fix on the F-Pace, JLR don’t need to start from the very beginning. Back in early 2017 JLR had absolutely no idea what was causing the problem. They were scratching around in the dark. The dealer yesterday handed us a print out of the Topix Bulletin and it is clear that JLR think they have found the cause and the solution on the F-Pace. They also clearly state that the noise doesn’t affect the performance, reliability or safety of the Jaguar until the fix is implemented.

Fourthly, we are exhausted with it all and we just cannot face the upheaval of another rejection and all that goes with it.

So there we have it. Holly will be booked in for some sound auditioning, the noise will be recorded on an MP3 file and sent to JLR. In the meantime, the dealer has promised to try their very best to look after us and allocate the best available cars from their courtesy fleet. They have also agreed to work so that, in the event that this is still ongoing by the time we leave for our Xmas ski-drive holiday, our Velar will be available to us or a proper alternative will be provided.

Okay, that’s it. Thank you again to everyone who took the time to share their thoughts and opinions with me. Our decision is a judgement call. There is no right or wrong. Some will understandably think we should have rejected or pressed for a new Velar - both logical options.

Best wishes,

Arianne
Rejected but still affectionately remembered: F-Pace 3.0d V6 S, IRR, 18 way jet/red sports seats + full memory, privacy glass, 22" silver/black double helix, cold climate pack!

dw-fp-jag

Post by dw-fp-jag » Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:35 pm

I couldn't agree more with your second point... we just don't fancy any other car! After 3 months of research the F Pace, or the Velar in your case, was the only one for me after considering all the pros and cons of all the competing SUV's. It sounds like you have a great dealer too which is most of the battle so good luck in resolving the issue and taking Holly with you when hitting the ski slopes in a few months time!
R Sport 250D Auto, Silicon Silver, ebony/oyster seats, ICTP, adaptive dynamics and lights, park assist, blind spot, 4-way lumbar, heated folding mirrors, heated w/screen, i/r screen, pan roof, keyless entry, space saver, 350mm brakes, boot release.

corriescar66

Post by corriescar66 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:21 pm

JLRnumber5 wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:05 pm
corriescar66 wrote:

Since Arianne rejected, just how many people have additionally reported this fault on here? 1, maybe 2 at most.

A bit of perspective is necessary. I recall the doomsayers telling all of us with 22" wheels we'll be squeaking round the block sooner rather than later.

The flood hasn't appeared, maybe a couple of drips from the tap, but no reason to build an ark just yet.

This is probably why it isn't in the press. The guy who actually shot Kennedy from a flying saucer isn't paying the press blood money to suppress this, it just isn't common enough and they ain't interested.

I have a theory as well. Not only is it a certain combo (engine, wheel size) but also you need some triggers. For me it was two long fast journeys to South West France.

I had zero rubbing noise on FP2 at 3000 miles. Then I did 700 miles in 12 hours at high speed with two short breaks. The noise started. Fairly feint but noticeable. I then pootled around Aquitaine/Dordogne for a week without the sound getting noticeable louder. Then I did the 700 mile journey in reverse and by the end the noise was very noticeable and vibration could be felt in the cabin.

Had I not done those two journeys I believe I could still be driving around in an F Pace perhaps only now saying "did you hear that??"
I think the petrol V6 must be lighter than the diesel? They normally are to cope with the higher combustion loads... I did the long, fast journeys (2000 miles) through France Aug/September and no new noises or squeaks, so after 8500 miles maybe I'm safe.

However, after 4 weeks in the dealer, one new sunroof motor, new software, new roof aerial, the sunroof still won't close properly and the 3G still drops out.

At least there seems to be a fix for the wheel problem, but my roof has them scratching their heads and my car is still no where to be seen.

Arianne, if I was religious I'd say they vibes aren't good for you with JLR products - perhaps you need to sacrifice another goat?

With a fix in sight, and the agreement you have with the dealer, you have probably taken the option I would have chosen in the circumstances. My gut feeling is my F Pace is a good car with glitches so I'm happy to wait to get it fixed properly. Getting another one, of any brand, is still a lottery that I don't want to get involved with at the moment. Cars have always been my passion and if I don't connect with it, and want to take sneaky photos of it when no one is looking, then I wouldn't buy it if it - even if it had bullet proof engineering.

I'm sure your long term motoring with the Velar will prove you made the right choice....
Nov 2016: 3.0 S V6 Supercharged Petrol/Italiana da Corsa Rossa / Jet-Taurus/ 22" Helix etc....

Mbadger77

Post by Mbadger77 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:03 pm

Arianne,

Personally I think you have taken the best approach especially as it isn’t too loud and doesn’t vibrate. Also that key bit on the bulletin
“They also clearly state that the noise doesn’t affect the performance, reliability or safety of the Jaguar until the fix is implemented.“

See how you feel approaching Christmas and hopefully it’s fixed by then or at least identified clearly.
Hopefully it works out for you and giving just a bit more time does the job.
3L Petrol, 22 black Helix (swapped with FIrst Edition 22 Helix), Ultimate Black, BP, Pano, Brogue, Jet, Priv, 825W, Control Pro, ASR, Climate Front Seats, Practicality Pack, Scuff Plate, Blind Spot

Jagfpacejk

Post by Jagfpacejk » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:06 pm

Arianne, the choice is yours some will think your right to wait, others will think your mad, it’s what makes you happy that counts.

The dealer has by the sounds of it helped ease your decision, shame other dealers are not like yours as it sounds like you have a good one.

Keep us all posted and good luck.
Ex Owner of a Pre Launch 1st Edition Supercharged V6 and a Ex Owner of 1st Edition Diesel V6

Mbadger77

Post by Mbadger77 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:08 pm

corriescar66 wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:21 pm
JLRnumber5 wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:05 pm
corriescar66 wrote:

I think the petrol V6 must be lighter than the diesel? They normally are to cope with the higher combustion loads... I did the long, fast journeys (2000 miles) through France Aug/September and no new noises or squeaks, so after 8500 miles maybe I'm safe.

However, after 4 weeks in the dealer, one new sunroof motor, new software, new roof aerial, the sunroof still won't close properly and the 3G still drops out.

At least there seems to be a fix for the wheel problem, but my roof has them scratching their heads and my car is still no where to be seen.

Arianne, if I was religious I'd say they vibes aren't good for you with JLR products - perhaps you need to sacrifice another goat?

With a fix in sight, and the agreement you have with the dealer, you have probably taken the option I would have chosen in the circumstances. My gut feeling is my F Pace is a good car with glitches so I'm happy to wait to get it fixed properly. Getting another one, of any brand, is still a lottery that I don't want to get involved with at the moment. Cars have always been my passion and if I don't connect with it, and want to take sneaky photos of it when no one is looking, then I wouldn't buy it if it - even if it had bullet proof engineering.

I'm sure your long term motoring with the Velar will prove you made the right choice....
Well we all like summer jaunts to France don’t we. I did similar Jaunt down to the Lot region in June and actually had creaking from the front wheel. Fortunately it’s wasnt anything to do with this issue but actually was around my new springs and the protective covers but wasn’t obvious.

Corrie also I think there may well be a fix for the 3G as well. My car has the telematics upgrade against it now and the fault description for WiFi dropping out matches my 3G dropping exactly so there’s hope,

Need an increment performed update patch for cold starts (note the petrol station black screen has gone) but same as the previous version and it’s increment updates.
3L Petrol, 22 black Helix (swapped with FIrst Edition 22 Helix), Ultimate Black, BP, Pano, Brogue, Jet, Priv, 825W, Control Pro, ASR, Climate Front Seats, Practicality Pack, Scuff Plate, Blind Spot

Waynem

Post by Waynem » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:37 pm

So after all that you should have kept the F pace ... :shock:

There's a fix on the way after all
Reading between the lines it's a better car :o

Reporting From Paris 8-)

Return to “Off-Topic Chat”