Off to give the Range Rover Velar a go...

The place to discuss everything else..
Arianne

Re: Off to give the Range Rover Velar a go...

Post by Arianne » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:56 pm

Jags cat wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:49 pm
In depth, informative and of course as unbiased as one can be given the circumstances of your departure from the F pace fold. I am considering the same move myself next year to the Velar and have spent many a hour trying to get the price under 58K !! Hopefully by next year there will be some discounts on offer.

Please keep the updates coming if you wouldn't mind, as fore warned is forearmed as they say. I am pleased that at last you are enjoying driving once again ,and enjoying the best the British hospitality has to offer, even if the weather is typically British also!!
All that remains now is to find a good reg plate to adorn the Velar and find a buyer for JAGS CAT.

Regards, JC

I think there is a guy on the Velar forum selling his private plate that looks like VE4AR, I think. Sub £500, at cost he says. I have a private plate on retention with my initials (sad, but true) and it has been with me for over a decade now.

Regards,

Arianne
Rejected but still affectionately remembered: F-Pace 3.0d V6 S, IRR, 18 way jet/red sports seats + full memory, privacy glass, 22" silver/black double helix, cold climate pack!

Coopsterdude

Post by Coopsterdude » Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:16 am

Great review Arianne and pleasing to hear how much you’re getting on with it.

Vote No.2 for The Inn. We were there earlier this year and a lovely spot.

Just one update for you - The MY2018 F Pace DOES. Have automatic front parking sensors, and it’s configurable as to whether they are on or not.

Just out of interest, what problems did you have with the Activity Band? I’ve not had any yet, but I do always wonder given Jaguars recent record with technology!!
No longer an active member.

Arianne

Post by Arianne » Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:31 am

^^. Nothing has gone wrong with the activity bracelet. It works fine. On the previous F-Pace it always worked but at times it took a couple of goes hovering around the rest badge. With our Velar it is instant, unlike the gesture tailgate!

Arianne
Rejected but still affectionately remembered: F-Pace 3.0d V6 S, IRR, 18 way jet/red sports seats + full memory, privacy glass, 22" silver/black double helix, cold climate pack!

Mig

Post by Mig » Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:44 am

Coopsterdude wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:16 am
Great review Arianne and pleasing to hear how much you’re getting on with it.

Vote No.2 for The Inn. We were there earlier this year and a lovely spot.

Just one update for you - The MY2018 F Pace DOES. Have automatic front parking sensors, and it’s configurable as to whether they are on or not.

Just out of interest, what problems did you have with the Activity Band? I’ve not had any yet, but I do always wonder given Jaguars recent record with technology!!
Have F-Pace number 2 since yesterday and was about to say the same thing about front parking sensor.
Seems build quality is better too but plastics are still shitty and the sexyness of the interior is still far from the Velar.
Will see if JLR comes with a smaller plug in hybrid setup.
Thanks for the review Arianne and enjoy your car !!!
1st F-Pace 2.0d AWD Auto R-Sport, Polaris White, Jet/Red, Shitty Adaptive Dynamics
2nd F-Pace 2.0d AWD Auto R-Sport, Polaris White, Jet/Red, No AD = much better

Coopsterdude

Post by Coopsterdude » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:05 am

Arianne wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:31 am
^^. Nothing has gone wrong with the activity bracelet. It works fine. On the previous F-Pace it always worked but at times it took a couple of goes hovering around the rest badge. With our Velar it is instant, unlike the gesture tailgate!

Arianne
Ah OK thanks - my dealer told me to do it on the J and it’s been instant every time. I know if I try it just in the general area it’s hit and miss.
No longer an active member.

Arianne

Post by Arianne » Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:46 pm

Well folks, today is not a great day......

...... Mrs A delivered Holly back to the dealer. The technician has confirmed that our Velar has the same noise as our earlier Jaguar F-Pace which we rejected back in April 2017. Not quite as noisy at this point, probably due to the lower levels of resonance produced by the smaller 21” wheel on the offside front. But it’s there and nobody is disputing it.

What do we do now? I was fully prepared for some snagging issues due to me being an ‘early adopter’. Perhaps issues with the notoriously unpredictable ICT system. But I had hoped that the mechanical design fault with the half-shaft and wheel bearings wouldn’t manifest itself again. The trouble was that I became smitten with the Velar while researching an alternative for my rejected F-Pace and, against my rational judgement, I went with my emotion. Hey, I guess I am not alone since the Velar is a great car in most respects.

All credit to the dealer. No ifs, buts or maybe’s. They diagnosed the issue straight away with Mrs A and, while Mrs A and the technician were seated with the Service Advisor, I received a call to discuss it.

So we have some hard thinking to do tonight. Family conference. It’s how we do our business! I see three options for consideration:

Option 1: Persevere with the car and dealer in the hope that they can eventually fix Holly
This isn’t going to happen quickly. The Technical Bulletin issued by Jaguar in respect of the F-Pace back in August doesn’t automatically apply to my Velar. Discussion with JLR HQ today has revealed that my car would first need to be submitted to a audio recording stethoscope test, this is then sent to JLR, they analyse the sound and decide whether it is the same as the numerous F-Pace cars with the same symptoms. Of course, I know it is exactly the same and so does the dealer. But the corporate bureaucracy of JLR doesn’t work this way and so there are various processes that this must pass through before moving to the next stage. Almost all big companies are like this so I am not singling JLR out on this front.

My Velar is, according to JLR, the first one to be displaying these symptoms and so it means they have to open an investigation and follow the whole process from scratch. They cannot fast-track and piggy-back on the learning curve of the Jaguar F-Pace.

If we take this option, weeks will pass before any possible fix is authorised. In the meantime, our car will find itself holed up at the dealer for tests and may even suffer the ignominy of being a test mule. Who knows, it’s what was suggested for the earlier F-Pace cars that were rejected back to Harwoods in Crawley. We will end up with an assortment of loan cars as we get nearer and nearer to our Xmas / New Year ski-drive holiday in the Austrian Alps. I will have a perfect set of Michelin winter tyres sitting on my tyre rack but no Velar to mount them on. Instead, I will have a loan car (no idea which one, possibly only 2WD) shod with either Summer Tyres or, at best, All Seasons.

We would need a written assurance from the dealer that they will extend our period for a ‘no cost’ rejection until a specified date or until they have attempted the fix, whichever comes sooner. I am not sure I will get that assurance.

Option 2: Place an order for a replacement Velar and continue driving Holly until the new one arrivesu
Other dealers have done this for some Jaguar F-Pace owners. I am unsure whether JLR or my dealer will do this for me. And, of course, although JLR say that our Velar is the first car to display these symptoms (just how unfortunate can we be), there is no guarantee that the replacement vehicle won’t display exactly the same issue within a few hundred miles.

Option 3: Give up and just walk away
I ordered my first Jaguar F-Pace 3.0 V6 S back in April 2016. That’s right, you have read this correctly. It’s not a typo. April 2016 was when we first placed our order with the dealer. I have driven five different cars in 2017. We have parted with £70,245 for the Velar and it’s faulty. Maybe someone is trying to tell me something. Perhaps we should give up on the two cars we have loved and adored so much; the F-Pace and Velar. We could simply reject Holly, get all of our money back, eBay the tyres sitting on my tyre rack in my garage and buy off the lot - something bog standard, relatively straightforward and simple and which I don’t fret about when the option of a quick car wash presents itself.

If the Community has any wisdom it wishes to share then please feel free. I might not like what you have to say but that’s irrelevant. What’s important is to hear what needs to be said and harvest the nuggets of wisdom from folk. Be quick though, I only have a few days before my 30 day window for rejection closes.

And I also await contact from the dealer to hear what options they may have for me.

Over to you....

Arianne

Waynem

Post by Waynem » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:29 pm

Looks like a Volvo then :? :shock:

AndyS

Post by AndyS » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:20 pm

Arianne,

Reading this with dismay and astonishment that you have exactly the same issue (even if it will take a while for JLR to admit that it's the same). For me, Option 1 just doesn't fly - too many unknowns and you are taking all the pain. Option 2 would have to be you giving JLR the last chance to provide a car that actually fulfils your expectations - A valid option but unsure if I could ever be this dedicated to a brand. Option 3 - Well what do you go for?

Another Volvo?? New XC60 does look great (and I enjoyed mine just like you did yours) - in fact I keep on contemplating changing my F Pace for the T8 version (as can see the hybrid version may just work for the miles that Mrs S does, and then let me go get something like an RS5).

I'm sure you'll let us all know what you decide..... And I'm thankful that not had anywhere near same amount of issues as many on this forum.

Keep on smiling....

Andy
REPLACED FP11 JAG - 3.0 D First Edition (Ultimate Black), with Audi S5 Coupe & Volvo XC40 (First Edition)

Wookiee

Post by Wookiee » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:21 pm

Jesus, what a shambles.
2018 Portfolio 25T; Firenze Red; ICTP 380; sliding pano roof; cold-climate pack; configurable dynamics; BSM; 20-way seats; privacy glass; adaptive dynamics; configurable mood lighting; spacesaver; cooled glovebox; reclining rear seats

Mig

Post by Mig » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:00 pm

Sorry to read this...
What about going for 20 inches tyres?
You get them for free and you ask for free snow tyres plus a compensation.
1st F-Pace 2.0d AWD Auto R-Sport, Polaris White, Jet/Red, Shitty Adaptive Dynamics
2nd F-Pace 2.0d AWD Auto R-Sport, Polaris White, Jet/Red, No AD = much better

Return to “Off-Topic Chat”