SQ5 Plus

The place to discuss everything else..
JLRnumber5

SQ5 Plus

Post by JLRnumber5 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:40 am

Hey all

Thought I'd pop back and say "hello" .. I'm still mourning the loss of my F Pace but I'm growing to really enjoy the Audi. A few pics below for those who requested. As you can see I went for Glacier White with Black Pack to ease the transition!

A few comments on the difference between the SQ5 Plus and the FP V6 diesel for those who are interested.

Firstly the downsides.

Well it doesn't evoke the same feelings of desire despite being the outgoing "Plus" model. Yes they've done a great job of keeping a 9 year old design look fresh, but it's not in the same league as the F Pace .. you certainly don't see it and think "oh yes I want one of those".

The interior, whilst beautifully screwed together, has a functional feel rather than the flair of the Jag. Yes it has superb quilted leather seats and the materials are soft to the touch all over (even the door bins which are nicely lined) but it's all rather plain and the infotainment (tiny screen!) feels it's age. I miss the 18-way seats of the Jag. These have a very similar range of adjustment but I can't get quite as comfortable yet.

I'm missing the gesture tailgate and the huge boot. The SQ5 is more akin to my old Evoque in terms of interior space, although it's closer to the FP in exterior dimensions.

The Audi drive select has settings for steering, engine, gearbox and exhaust but no control over the suspension set up. So it's always in "sport" mode. Even so it can't match the dynamic setting of the F Pace. This plus model has a sports differential and the same torque vectoring as the F Pace but it doesn't feel as agile or confidence inspiring in a corner, mainly due to numb steering whatever setting you choose. There is tons of grip and if pushed you can feel the car tuck in mid corner, but the feedback is almost non-existent.

The extras (adaptive cruise, blind spot monitor, adaptive lights, lane assist, etc) all feel bolted on (which they are) rather than part of the integral design. Having said that I think I prefer the Audi MMI system to the Jag touch screen. I feel less distracted although it's less logical.

I miss the Connect Pro services such as remote route planner and journey tracker. I miss some of the apps (Spotify) and the remote start. The Audi definitely comes up short on tech. Of course there is a new model out which raises the game again, but I sat in one in the dealership and I wasn't impressed with the cabin.

Now the upsides.

Well the engine is a lesson in turbo-diesel performance engines. It is simply epic. I'd driven the original SQ5 back in 2013 and this SQ5 Plus (340bhp) model is something else again. Not a hint of diesel clatter or vibration and the acceleration is mind-bending. It feels and sounds like a V8. OK I know the sound is artificial both in the cabin and exhaust but it's very effective. It pulls like a train immediately from rest (helped by proper programming of the ZF box .. see below) all the way up to the very un-diesel like 5200 rpm. By direct comparison the Ford PSA unit in the FP V6 diesel is really showing it's age. It will be interesting to see what the new in-line 6 engines are like when they are released.

For a car that will get to 60mph in sub-5 seconds the fuel economy is astounding. I did a regular run to visit family in Wiltshire at the weekend. My round trip in the F Pace was 35mpg at best, more like 32mpg on most occasions. I was pushing the Audi hard at the weekend, and managed 40.6mpg for the total trip.

The ride, whilst firm, is more comfortable than the F Pace around town. The mix of crashing and wobbling over pot-holes and speed humps has gone, and it feels much more like my Evoque Dynamic.

By far the biggest difference for me (given my very urban driving) is the Audi implementation of the ZF box. It's the same 8 speed unit but programmed very differently. The mushy torque-converter set up that JLR seem to inflict on everyone is gone. It pulls instantly and doesn't insist on kicking down a gear when you don't need to.

Build quality is superb. The choice of materials (whilst dull) feel great and the body looks as if it's cast out of a single lump of metal rather than the mix of materials that give the F Pace a slightly "bolted together look". Shut lines are perfect all over. Something that evaded me on two F Paces.

The B&O stereo is excellent. Much more like the Meridian set up I had in the Evoque. I can now get that gut punching bass again that I was missing and it doesn't matter how loud I go I can't get the front door speaker to fluff and fart like they did in my F Pace.

The best part is the £16k saving I've made :)

I was a JLR customer for over 10 years, and I will be back. I really want them to succeed.

SQ5.jpg

SQ5-3.jpg

SQ5-2.jpg

Two 3.0D F-pace S gone but not forgotten.

Matteus F-Pace

Re: SQ5 Plus

Post by Matteus F-Pace » Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:07 pm

Nice car JLR5 - (my brother has one as well, and raves (and moans) about the same things you mention above) and thanks for keeping in touch. I assume you're now a regular on an Audi Board ? If so, do you call yourself JLRnumber5 or Audinumber1? :D
3.0L SC - Black - Black Pack - Black 22" wheels (20" in winter..) - ICTP - heated steering wheel - memory seat pack for 18 way sports seats - AdSR - 360 Parking Aid - LED headlights - privacy glass

Jagfpacejk

Post by Jagfpacejk » Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:15 pm

Very nice, having been an Audi owner in the past i can say there build quality s something Jaguar can only dream off and panel alignment as you say is in another world, must agree with the MMI it was always good but nothing really that made you jump up and down, i do not use any extra apps on the car as for me i use the map and stick a stick in for music and thats all i need, the rest is pointless to me but i do like the map on the dash mode, this is new to me in the Fpace and like the heads up display being something new to me in the Fpace it will be something i will want in future cars, driving along without the need to look across the dash is a massive plus point in my eyes.

Design wise i think if there flared the arches and added some extra bodywork it would make the SQ5 more appealing to the eyes, like the RS models but i think its designed to be a sheep in wolfs clothing look.

Looking forward to our meet and beer where we can compare side by side yours and my Fpace.
Ex Owner of a Pre Launch 1st Edition Supercharged V6 and a Ex Owner of 1st Edition Diesel V6

Postl

Post by Postl » Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:03 pm

A lovely car and really sorry you had so much trouble with your F Pace, lets hope that those issues have now been sorted. we test drove 7 cars before deciding on our favourite 2. The Q5 was my favourite and the F Pace my wife's. We both found the look from the outside a little staid and not a lot different to the out going model. My wife really didn't like the inside, but it helped once she knew she could configure it a bit. We had a test drive in the Q5 and i was blown away at how quiet the diesel engine was from inside the cabin the main noise was tire/road noise, no louder than any other car i suspect it was just because the engine noise was almost non existent.

It really came down in the end to what deals we could get on each car.
The Q5 dealer gave quite low trade in on both my 13 plate BMW and my Wife's 12 plate 2.0L MX5. they also said that the earliest the could get the car would be the end of September as the car would be coming from Mexico where they are built and in that in that time the MX5 would probably loose about a further £1000 as its really a seasonal car and the BMW would loose about £600. They would also only give is £500 off the screen price

The Jaguar dealer gave us better trade in deals much nearer what we were expecting, has offered to take the MX5 now so we can get as much as possible for it and the BMW he estimates it loosing about £200 by the beginning of September when it is expected the F Pace would be delivered. he gave us £800 off the screen price (not a lot i know) plus the 5 year servicing plan and the Supaguard protection. For us both it was a no brainer in the end and now cant wait for our new F Pace :-) .

All the best with your new car
Paul
2.0L AWD 180HP Prestige, Fugi White, Light Oyster seats with Pistachio Stitch, Light Oyster Morzine Heading, Satin Fine Line Wood Veneer. Opening Panoramic Sun Roof, Rear View Camera, Park Assist, 360 Parking Aid, Rear bumper protector.

F-Pace S

Post by F-Pace S » Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:16 pm

Very nice JLR5.3, understated yet effective ;)
Rejected two beautiful F-Pace 3.0d S's, loved them both, other than the many faults. :cry: Back to a 535d BMW for me, not ruling out another JLR...Velar...but not in the first year of production again. JLR need to pull their socks up.

Jagfpacejk

Post by Jagfpacejk » Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:21 pm

Postl wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:03 pm
A lovely car and really sorry you had so much trouble with your F Pace, lets hope that those issues have now been sorted. we test drove 7 cars before deciding on our favourite 2. The Q5 was my favourite and the F Pace my wife's. We both found the look from the outside a little staid and not a lot different to the out going model. My wife really didn't like the inside, but it helped once she knew she could configure it a bit. We had a test drive in the Q5 and i was blown away at how quiet the diesel engine was from inside the cabin the main noise was tire/road noise, no louder than any other car i suspect it was just because the engine noise was almost non existent.

It really came down in the end to what deals we could get on each car.
The Q5 dealer gave quite low trade in on both my 13 plate BMW and my Wife's 12 plate 2.0L MX5. they also said that the earliest the could get the car would be the end of September as the car would be coming from Mexico where they are built and in that in that time the MX5 would probably loose about a further £1000 as its really a seasonal car and the BMW would loose about £600. They would also only give is £500 off the screen price

The Jaguar dealer gave us better trade in deals much nearer what we were expecting, has offered to take the MX5 now so we can get as much as possible for it and the BMW he estimates it loosing about £200 by the beginning of September when it is expected the F Pace would be delivered. he gave us £800 off the screen price (not a lot i know) plus the 5 year servicing plan and the Supaguard protection. For us both it was a no brainer in the end and now cant wait for our new F Pace :-) .

All the best with your new car
Paul
Paul, the fact the dealer gave you any discount off the screen on the Fpace is a great result, many around our way like Harwoods do not give you anything off so well done on that one.
Ex Owner of a Pre Launch 1st Edition Supercharged V6 and a Ex Owner of 1st Edition Diesel V6

JLRnumber5

Post by JLRnumber5 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:44 pm

Matteus F-Pace wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:07 pm
Nice car JLR5 - (my brother has one as well, and raves (and moans) about the same things you mention above) and thanks for keeping in touch. I assume you're now a regular on an Audi Board ? If so, do you call yourself JLRnumber5 or Audinumber1? :D
Hahah! Hey Matt ... no I won't be joining an Audi forum. This is my spiritual home! If I did I would also be Audi#5 having had ....

1994 2.6E Cabriolet
1999 TT 180 Roadster
2002 A4 3.0 Cabriolet
2007 TT 3.2 Roadster

Cheers!

Jagfpacejk

Post by Jagfpacejk » Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:38 pm

JLRnumber5 wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:44 pm
Matteus F-Pace wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:07 pm
Hahah! Hey Matt ... no I won't be joining an Audi forum. This is my spiritual home! If I did I would also be Audi#5 having had ....

1994 2.6E Cabriolet
1999 TT 180 Roadster
2002 A4 3.0 Cabriolet
2007 TT 3.2 Roadster

Cheers!
I have had an RS4 and a RS6 Avants, now they were some car and i miss both today, was hoping one day they would do a RS version of the Q5 or Q7 but no sadly as that would be a real animal and certainly a SVR killer of Jaguar.

YORKIE

Post by YORKIE » Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:07 pm

It's beginning to look as though we've all joined an Audi Forum whether we like it or not. That car is not bad for a second choice I suppose. Not quite deserving of a........................................FAB.................................U..................................LOUS :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
2.0 D AWD PORTFOLIO-AUTO-BRG/OYSTER. 10 way front memory seats, electric steering column, privacy glass, car cover, skinny spare, deployable steps, 5 fan wheels, 5 year service plan, cup holders cover.

"honi soit qui mal y pense" :geek:

JLRnumber5

Post by JLRnumber5 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:25 pm

Hey Yorkie old chap!! I promise to keep the posts to this thread and not pollute this very British corner of the web with my Germanic interloper!

Hope all is well with you and yours.

Return to “Off-Topic Chat”