Tesla Fire Crawley

The place to discuss everything else..
June16

Tesla Fire Crawley

Post by June16 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:41 pm

One thing that’s always bothered me about electric cars , having been an auto electrician for many years , is the toxic gas and the ferocity and sustainability of a battery powered car fire.

I wonder how firemen feal if it encompasses an entire dealership let alone a single car.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-englan ... e-at-tesla
MY18 Rsport 25t BRG , Ebony - Oyster, 18 way mem, Surround Cam, blis, ICTP, LED adaptive....etc

Jagfpacejk

Re: Tesla Fire Crawley

Post by Jagfpacejk » Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:35 pm

June16 wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:41 pm
One thing that’s always bothered me about electric cars , having been an auto electrician for many years , is the toxic gas and the ferocity and sustainability of a battery powered car fire.

I wonder how firemen feal if it encompasses an entire dealership let alone a single car.

"I wonder how firemen feal"

We don't feal anything, we have a certain safety precautions that we have to put in place but electric cars are no more or less of a hazard then other vehicles Firefighters around the country have to deal with, more and more airbags causes issues as you have to do what in firefighters terms a peak and peel approach to the car, in the old days we would just cut the car room, A pillars B pillars ect ect, now we have have to peel back the plastic trim to look behind just to be sure we are not cutting through an airbag.

As for electric, batteries are now being fitted in the boot, under seats and all this can and does cause issues when your trying to isolate cars, then you have always had milk floats, i personally have been to a fire at a milk depot with milk floats on fire that all on there own start moving due to wiring short circuits.

New electric cars are a new hazard but the fire service does get an extensive detail way of how to deal with electric cars from the manufactures which is all accessible to the incident commander at an incident via the on board computer which not only gives you instructions but also photo images of how to isolate a car in event of a road traffic collision or fire.

When it comes to the fire at Crawley, West Sussex Fire and Rescue service will use the approach of if there are no life risks to apply water from outside the building until the incident commander feels the fire is at a level they are happy to commit fire fighters in breathing apparatus to go inside the building and contain the last parts of the fire, if there is no life risk inside the building they will not commit fire fighters into a building endangering fire fighters life's for the sake of a building and some cars.

If people are inside well that's a whole different story.

I could go chapter and verse into the risk management of the fire service but i am sure you get the point from my above comments.
Ex Owner of a Pre Launch 1st Edition Supercharged V6 and a Ex Owner of 1st Edition Diesel V6

June16

Post by June16 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:59 pm

Jagfpacejk wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:35 pm
June16 wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:41 pm

"I wonder how firemen feal"

We don't feal anything, we have a certain safety precautions that we have to put in place but electric cars are no more or less of a hazard then other vehicles Firefighters around the country have to deal with, more and more airbags causes issues as you have to do what in firefighters terms a peak and peel approach to the car, in the old days we would just cut the car room, A pillars B pillars ect ect, now we have have to peel back the plastic trim to look behind just to be sure we are not cutting through an airbag.

As for electric, batteries are now being fitted in the boot, under seats and all this can and does cause issues when your trying to isolate cars, then you have always had milk floats, i personally have been to a fire at a milk depot with milk floats on fire that all on there own start moving due to wiring short circuits.

New electric cars are a new hazard but the fire service does get an extensive detail way of how to deal with electric cars from the manufactures which is all accessible to the incident commander at an incident via the on board computer which not only gives you instructions but also photo images of how to isolate a car in event of a road traffic collision or fire.

When it comes to the fire at Crawley, West Sussex Fire and Rescue service will use the approach of if there are no life risks to apply water from outside the building until the incident commander feels the fire is at a level they are happy to commit fire fighters in breathing apparatus to go inside the building and contain the last parts of the fire, if there is no life risk inside the building they will not commit fire fighters into a building endangering fire fighters life's for the sake of a building and some cars.

If people are inside well that's a whole different story.

I could go chapter and verse into the risk management of the fire service but i am sure you get the point from my above comments.
Thanks for a great reply!
I just wondered because the last Tesla fire caused the owner to vacate his home (attached garage) as it kept self igniting , being a battery I would have thought the stored energy and toxic gas would be more of an issue than usual car fuel??
I am surprised too when you say using water on a battery fire , or is that just the building ...would that not make it worse?
And yes it’s pretty scary to see what fireman have to tackle in a modern car, it must slow down rescues trying to find out what each car has.
MY18 Rsport 25t BRG , Ebony - Oyster, 18 way mem, Surround Cam, blis, ICTP, LED adaptive....etc

Jagfpacejk

Post by Jagfpacejk » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:25 pm

What can also be used is CAFS or compressed air foam system which is a mixture of foam and water delivered from the branch of the delivery from the fire engine, on modern fire engines this is pre mixed at the truck, on older systems you use an in line foam adaptor and you have to keep an eye on the foam level being used, the new built in system is easier to monitor.

It really depends what was on fire.
Ex Owner of a Pre Launch 1st Edition Supercharged V6 and a Ex Owner of 1st Edition Diesel V6

June16

Post by June16 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:42 pm

Jagfpacejk wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:25 pm
What can also be used is CAFS or compressed air foam system which is a mixture of foam and water delivered from the branch of the delivery from the fire engine, on modern fire engines this is pre mixed at the truck, on older systems you use an in line foam adaptor and you have to keep an eye on the foam level being used, the new built in system is easier to monitor.

Ah I see , that must be similar to the old fire trucks the RAF had ....I used to work on them Dennis / Charmichael mk9 and 10 ....many many moons ago . Awesome amount of foam generated for crash landings !

Jagfpacejk

Post by Jagfpacejk » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:04 am

June16 wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:42 pm
Jagfpacejk wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:25 pm

Ah I see , that must be similar to the old fire trucks the RAF had ....I used to work on them Dennis / Charmichael mk9 and 10 ....many many moons ago . Awesome amount of foam generated for crash landings !
Perhaps, the ones used at airports have a massive foam branch on the top where the operator will spray a massive foam blanket, the fire service do the same just for a 45mm hose with a foam branch on the end held by either one or two firefighters depending on application.

Return to “Off-Topic Chat”