Number plates - to show or not to show?

The place to discuss everything else..
Jacksoag

Re: Number plates - to show or not to show?

Post by Jacksoag » Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:12 pm

Thanks CW, I had omitted to check that the discussion had continued in that posting - sorry.
My own car's number plate has previously been posted as I said - I also now own and use a Faraday bag.

Stokiebloke

Post by Stokiebloke » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:03 pm

To add to this I would never again share my plates online. I advertised my previous BMW online and didn’t blank out the plates in the ad. Around a month later I was contacted by Bradford Council about a parking infringement that was due for payment. I live in Stoke and don’t travel to Bradford.

The BMW in images which I requested from Bradford Council was mineral grey like mine, but a 335D instead of my 330D and had some silly aftermarket spoiler. Apart from that identical.

As it happens Bradford Council and the Police were very understanding and sorted it out for me quickly. They did however seem quite surprised that I wasn’t more aware of what is apparently the very common practice of cloning. Had the vehicles been identical I imagine it would have been a much more protracted process to get things sorted out.

I certainly wouldn’t show the plate on my shiny new F-pace online as although the chances of some plonker seeing it are slim, it certainly does happen.

Jim

Post by Jim » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:57 am

Having read this thread I shall no longer publish my number plate on line (may be a bit of closing the stable door after the horse has bolted) as I hadn't considered the ease that criminals would be able to find registrations to clone that match their vehicles.

Thanks guys.
Oct 2016 - 2.0 D, Portfolio, Auto, AWD, Ultimate Black, Light Oyster, 14-Way Front Seats with Passenger and Drivers memory pack, electrically adjustable steering wheel, 360⁰ parking aid, ICTP 380W, LED headlights, remote rear seat release.

Postl

Post by Postl » Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:43 pm

Jim wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:57 am
Having read this thread I shall no longer publish my number plate on line (may be a bit of closing the stable door after the horse has bolted) as I hadn't considered the ease that criminals would be able to find registrations to clone that match their vehicles.

Thanks guys.
Same here Jim, ive posted my plates on here mainly because ive not got a clue how to obscure them and to lazy to find out how to :D , however, i never gave a thought to the possibility of cloning :oops: .

Paul
2.0L AWD 180HP Prestige, Fugi White, Light Oyster seats with Pistachio Stitch, Light Oyster Morzine Heading, Satin Fine Line Wood Veneer. Opening Panoramic Sun Roof, Rear View Camera, Park Assist, 360 Parking Aid, Rear bumper protector.

Return to “Off-Topic Chat”