Help with private plate transfer, please

All Jaguar F-Pace related discussions
frogmill0

Help with private plate transfer, please

Post by frogmill0 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:40 am

On Tuesday I did a deal to exchange my F-Pace for another Approved Jaguar from a Jaguar main dealer.

I have a private no. plate and when I've changed cars in the past I've found the procedure for transferring the plate rather confusing. I've usually left it to the dealer to arrange and I've done what I've been told to do which I recall was essentially to pay £80 to the DVLA to do the transfer. This time, however, the salesman said he wasn't sure of the procedure (unbelievable) but he would find out and let me know. I'm not convinced that he'll do this quickly because, as always seems to be the case, he's clearly rushed off his feet.

I've looked at the DVLA website and it seems that the first thing I have to do is to apply to remove the plate from the existing car. They'll then send me a Retention Certificate and a new V5 which they say can take 5-6 weeks to arrive. They also say that when the application is approved (which is usually straight away) the car will be reassigned its original reg. no. and plates showing this no. must be put on. This is something I've definitely never done before - the car has been always been handed over with the personal plates on it. Have things changed?

While all this is going on, what should the dealer be doing about registering/taxing the replacement car.? I do remember with my current car and others that everything hadn't been sorted out on changeover day and I couldn't have my private plates fitted until some days later.

If some kind soul will do a step by step guide to the procedure I'll be really grateful.

Thanks in anticipation.
3.0d 'S' in Rhodium Silver. ICTPro, 825w Meridian, Cold Climate pack, 14 way memory seats, pan roof.

jumpingmatt

Re: Help with private plate transfer, please

Post by jumpingmatt » Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:45 am

Hi,

I've just moved my plate from my old car ready for my new F-Pace. You're able to do it all online these days and so don't have to wait for the paperwork to catch up (which arrived within 7 days in my case). The key piece of information you need is the "Retention certificate number" which will come through on an email as soon as you complete the remove and retention of your registration. Here's the link https://www.gov.uk/personalised-vehicle ... number-off
D300 R-Dynamic HSE in Eiger Grey, Red / Ebony / Aluminium Interior with lots of options ticked.

Jagscat2.0

Post by Jagscat2.0 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:41 am

Hi,.. just a very import point to remember is to tell your insurance,.. if you intend to drive the vehicle ,.. even if it’s the one last trip to take the car to the dealership down the road.
Unfortunately they will also probably charge for this administration being facilitated. Otherwise if the worst was to happen you could be fined / prison for no insurance if it was a particular bad accident.
As an ex old bill,.. I have had heard of motorists being reported for invalid insurance! ,... after a plate change .
Regards JC.
F pace owner 2016-19. Awaiting delivery of a P400e HSE. Hakuba silver, B/ pack, P/glass, F/pano, Self confessed car nut in therapy , prototype engineer, firearms range officer/instructor, wolf hybrid owner, champion of lost causes, who loves to complain !

frogmill0

Post by frogmill0 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:52 pm

Thanks, chaps. Very helpful and i appreciate your prompt response.

I'd seen the bit about notifying the insurance company when the car reverts to its original reg but I don't recall doing this previously. Perhaps I was lucky to get away with it!

Presumably the dealer will need the new V5 but if it's going to take 5/6 weeks to be issued won't this cause a delay? I do in fact, still have the original V5 before I put the private plate on the car but I guess there'll be a reason why that can't be used?
3.0d 'S' in Rhodium Silver. ICTPro, 825w Meridian, Cold Climate pack, 14 way memory seats, pan roof.

jumpingmatt

Post by jumpingmatt » Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:31 pm

When I used the DVLA online option to take the reg off my old car I received the new paper V5C in the post 5 days later. You can also tell the DVLA online that you’ve sold the vehicle -> https://www.gov.uk/sold-bought-vehicle/y. But you’ll still need the latest / current V5’s 11 digit reference reflecting your old car’s “new” registration.
D300 R-Dynamic HSE in Eiger Grey, Red / Ebony / Aluminium Interior with lots of options ticked.

Wookiee

Post by Wookiee » Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:14 pm

It is different now compared to the process ten years or so ago. As the plate retention process is so much quicker, dealers tend to expect you to have done it all before the p/x car comes their way, including having the updated V5. As jumpingmatt says above, it really doesn't take 5-6 weeks to receive the V5 now - it's been less than a week the last two times I've done it, once as quick as four days. Whether your insurance company milks you for an admin fee is very much up to them. Direct Line don't, but Admiral Group will charge you £25 just for answering your phone call!

Always worth asking the dealer you're buying the new car from if they'd mind making up the original plates for the old car, assuming that getting to them is reasonably convenient. I've got about a 50% success rate... ;)
2018 Portfolio 25T; Firenze Red; ICTP 380; sliding pano roof; cold-climate pack; configurable dynamics; BSM; 20-way seats; privacy glass; adaptive dynamics; configurable mood lighting; spacesaver; LEDs; reclining rear seats; towbar

frogmill0

Post by frogmill0 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:31 pm

Thanks again. I've now removed the plate from the car literally and via the DVLA and notified the insurance company (which was a pain in itself because it's one of those companies that don't want to talk to you). Fortunately, I'd kept the original plates so I can put them back on the car.

The DVLA confirmation referred to a new V5 being issued in 3-5 days so I think my earlier reference to 5-6 weeks must apply to postal applications. Hopefully, all will be relatively plain sailing now - fingers crossed!