3,0d or Petrol?

All Jaguar F-Pace related discussions
KMann

3,0d or Petrol?

Post by KMann » Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:52 am

Hi all, I'm looking for a 3.0 S. Should I go for petrol due to my mileage as I'm sure I won't go over 7/8000 miles, however a lot of those miles will be 100+ for family visits. Can anyone advise either way? Other considerations are the CAZ which will be introduced here later this year but its pretty small and I rarely go into town. Are the drives that much different? There also seems to be a lot more Diesel's for sale.

Cheers,
K

Deux Points

Re: 3,0d or Petrol?

Post by Deux Points » Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:35 am

Hi. I've owned a 3.0d S and still own a 3.0p s/c S. The diesel had great torque and good fuel economy for its size and shape. It was badly built and rejected - I went for a petrol replacement, which I've had for close to four years. My annual mileage is not dissimilar to yours (or should be in normal times). The petrol has less torque but an intoxicating noise as the revs build. Some users report an exhaust resonance noise at motorway speeds and find it annoying - I don't mind it as it seldom occurs (just go faster or slower). But check it on your test drive. It find that fuel consumption is some 10mpg worse in the petrol. Both cars came with the Jaguar five year service plan, so I don't know if there is any difference in service cost. As a summary - whilst I miss the torque of the diesel, I don't miss anything else and am very happy with the petrol replacement. Put it into 'Dynamic' and select 'Sport' to put a smile on your face - but don't look at the fuel gauge!

KMann

Post by KMann » Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:42 pm

Thanks for the response, I am literally changing my mind every day partly because I need to buy next month and there are more diesels about and am wondering if I will miss the torque on our long trips. You seem happy though so I will take that on board!

FP Steve B

Post by FP Steve B » Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:40 am

KMann, I've got a 3ltr diesel & I only do around 7500 miles a year. I've found the build quality on mine to be superb, especially compared to my Discovery Sport that I had before. I find 300 hp & massive SVR torque plenty quick enough, I get 42mpg or more on a run & I've had some very quick cars if you look at my signature. All my journeys are at least 10 miles & I've never had a problem with the DPF filter but I do give it a blast quite regularly & fill with Shell V Power every 4th fill to clean up the engine. If you intend to keep your Jag long term then both may suffer from extra depreciation the nearer you get to 2030, but for now.....enjoy!! 8-)
Delivered 28/11/18, 3.0d V6 Portfolio Auto AWD, Fuji White, Ebony Windsor Leather Electric Seats, Adaptive LED lights.
Gone: LR Discovery Sport 180, Holden Clubsport R8 6.2ltr V8, Jeep Cherokee 2.8 CRD, Toyota Supra Twin Turbo, Ford Mustang Cobra V8. 8-)

Smitten

Post by Smitten » Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:23 am

Coming up to 3 years with mine. Superb car. Excellent torque great mpg. Like most of us I haven't used much in the past 12 months but no dpf issues. Just put two new Pirelli 265/40/22 on for its first MOT due soon but no other issues.
3.0d S, Santorini black, black pack, 22" black rims, LEDs, Priv, 350W, ICTP, Ebony interior, AdSR, space saver, config ambient, remote release, lumbar, winter pack, rear recline. Build date Friday 13/4/18 :D

Deltasierra

Post by Deltasierra » Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:18 am

The 3.0 D is a good choice plenty of power and torque I did about 9000 a year and the service light came on close to the annual service period, average MPG 36, 40 on a run, you won’t get close to that on a petrol, when the warranty expires make sure you get it extended because if you get a failure it will be expensive.
IPace SVR performance without the noise
Gone FPace 3.0D Portfolio Loire Blue, No issues a very good car
Gone F Pace Prestige 2 liter
XKR Convertible
E type 4.2 restored it from a wreck, noisy, smelly, uncomfortable —- and wonderful, reliable too!.

MyV6Jag

Post by MyV6Jag » Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:58 am

Absolutely love my petrol 3.0 S
No doubt about it, the acceleration combined with the noise is great which is why i chose it over the low revving and quieter diesel. Although I hate the sound of most diesels in idle mode.
Best fuel economy I get on a long run is about 28 mpg but I don't do many miles so suits me well.
I'll personally never buy diesel again.
:o :o :o
3L Supercharged V6 Petrol, Ammonite Grey, Privacy Glass, Black 22" Double Helix 15 Spoke, Jet/Red Interior, Sliding Panaromic Roof, Black Pack

KMann

Post by KMann » Sun Apr 04, 2021 2:48 pm

Thanks everyone for your responses and pov. The sensible part of me is leaning towards the diesel mainly because I'm a contractor and am unsure of my long term mileage. My current contract is local thankfully. However...I've just enquired about an SVR.....

Smitten

Post by Smitten » Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:20 pm

MyV6Jag wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:58 am
I'll personally never buy diesel again.
I won't buy diesel or petrol again. We already have one EV and looks like I will be spoilt for choice for a second EV in 12 months as there seem to be masses of new launches. Nothing wrong with my current S but it does feel it is a bit of a dinosaur now...
3.0d S, Santorini black, black pack, 22" black rims, LEDs, Priv, 350W, ICTP, Ebony interior, AdSR, space saver, config ambient, remote release, lumbar, winter pack, rear recline. Build date Friday 13/4/18 :D