Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

Stolen F Pace - Tracker App still working

11K views 23 replies 13 participants last post by  Bob a 
#1 ·
Hi all, my FP was stolen on Monday night but the Jaguar Remote App is still showing the vehicle nearby. This is not the after market tracker, but the InControl standard remote app functionality. We know that the location is deliberately inaccurate to stop anyone finding the car if they find the owner's phone. the vehicle is not obviously near where the location is shown, but i hope is not too far away.

So three questions that may help me?

1. is it possible to recover more precise location data (without having subscribed to the additional Jaguar tracking service)?
2. is it possible that the app will still work if the tracking device has been stripped from the car? My app shows the current location, allows me to lock/unlock, start the engine (climate control function) and sound the alarm and flash the lights.
3. does anyone know the margin of error on the app location so we can narrow the search area?

(the location is showing in a built up area with lots of garages so i need a better read on where it might be).

#2 ·
I would inform the police and let them investigate it for you.

#3 ·
I agree with lox-ace, above. When you have police back-up you may try the Beep and Flash facility. That should help locate the vehicle. However, I'd leave it to the police and the insurance company just now!

#4 ·
If my car was taken then I would be everywhere trying to find it. In the uk the police force is stretched and this will not be very high on their list here (i am an ex part time cop).

If you are leaving it to them then it would only be pure luck if they stumble across it.

If the tracker subscription is not paid then I would personally be contacting the provider, explain the situation and if by paying the fee they could better track it then it would be money well spent in my opinion.

I have not heard of the "not accurate" part of the tracker system as mine has been spot on any time I checked it. What would be the point of a tracker if it is not accurate?

#5 ·
Let the law recover the vehicle ,if you have a location they are usually pretty quick. Many of the toe rags that steal cars are high on drugs and they will drive over you or knife you to get away.

#6 ·
If its a stolen to order theft by professionals they will park the car somewhere quiet and wait and see if anyone comes for it as they are aware of trackers. Alternately they have a container nearby and its parked inside blocking the signal and rapidly on the next ship out of the UK and heading for less regulated and lands abroad. Not sure the app is that accurate all the time with location and isn't necessarily updated in real time but worth passing information on to the Police.

#7 ·
Deltasierra said:
Let the law recover the vehicle ,if you have a location they are usually pretty quick. Many of the toe rags that steal cars are high on drugs and they will drive over you or knife you to get away.
Sorry, I was not suggesting finding the vehicle and taking it back. If found let the cops know as they will have to check it over for forensic information potentially. And as you say, it is probable it would not be safe to go near it.

#8 ·
And, did the police recover it ? Did you report it stolen through the app ??

#9 ·
Dan_Veluwe said:
Or as this was his first post is he the person that took the jag and checking to see if he has anything to worry about lol.

#10 ·
Bob a said:
Dan_Veluwe said:
Or as this was his first post is he the person that took the jag and checking to see if he has anything to worry about lol.
That's what I also think.
When police is there insurance is there then why you want to do their bits please let them do the job.

#11 ·
Bob a said:
Dan_Veluwe said:
Lets hope its the person who lost the car but as mentioned by previous posts, give the information to the police and get them to go look.

You just do not know what these people could or will do should you turn up and see you car there.

Car thief's are not going to put there hands up and say sorry here is your car.

#12 ·
I had a friend once who had his laptop stolen from home. It had the location tracker switched on so he was able to tell exactly where it was so he rang the police but they weren't interested so he went round, knocked on the door and asked for his laptop back. They were so shocked they gave it to him.

#13 ·
KeithL said:
I had a friend once who had his laptop stolen from home. It had the location tracker switched on so he was able to tell exactly where it was so he rang the police but they weren't interested so he went round, knocked on the door and asked for his laptop back. They were so shocked they gave it to him.
:lol: :lol: :cool:

#14 ·
Sorry to hear your car was stolen but get yourself a Disklock next time. One deterrent is better than none.
Also, could you walk around with your car key clicking lock and unlock as you might hear it beep if you know roughly where it is?

#15 ·
Feedback from the originator would help us to know how things went. The person has not been on line since putting the post up, surly if you had put such an important post up you would have been regularly checking for tips, unless found 🤔

#16 ·
KeithL said:
The cops said exactly that to a mate of mine, not interested, until he said he was going to get a couple of mates to go with him to get his property back .
They were there within 10 mins!.

#17 ·
Bob a said:
Feedback from the originator would help us to know how things went. The person has not been on line since putting the post up, surly if you had put such an important post up you would have been regularly checking for tips, unless found 🤔
My first thought when I read their post, their only post since joining in January was it sounded like someone fishing for information in not a good way! Hopefully I'm wrong and they have got their car back whatever model etc it was, is, after....🤭

#18 ·
Update (or not) thanks for responses. Car of course reported, police relatively uninterested (@BobA spot on). tracker location unchanged but vehicle clearly not in the immediate vicinity. can still contact car but report says bonnet and doors open. suspect it may be without an engine by now. Police nothing to report - no sign on ANPR etc. suspect consigned to jaguar parking lot in the sky - or Albania / equivalent.

#19 ·
Omg, so sorry you have not had any luck with this. I suppose it gets to the time you don't want it back, just settled from the insurance.

Pure scum that do this to people.

Makes you wonder the value of the tracker too.

#20 ·
The tracker used for the app isn't designed as a theft tracker. if the car had the the factory secure tracker which is a separate system the police might have acted more pro actively when reported stolen. I have the secure tracker on my F-Pace if the alarm is activated, the car battery is removed or a loss of mobile signal for a period of time,(had all these happen to me) i get a call from the tracking centre immediately. having said all that the scum stealing these car clearly know what they are doing regardless of the amount of security if they want it they will take.

#21 ·
crownjewels said:
The tracker used for the app isn't designed as a theft tracker. if the car had the the factory secure tracker which is a separate system the police might have acted more pro actively when reported stolen. I have the secure tracker on my F-Pace if the alarm is activated, the car battery is removed or a loss of mobile signal for a period of time,(had all these happen to me) i get a call from the tracking centre immediately. having said all that the scum stealing these car clearly know what they are doing regardless of the amount of security if they want it they will take.
Thanks for clarifying this for me. I too have fitted as you mentioned (the full system).

#22 ·
Can't the tracking centre not locate it either, or are they unwilling to tell you a location if they have located it? either way I feel for you, I'd be gutted. I've ordered an SVR and have been researching aftermarket security products because of the rise in Keyless thefts (current F-pace doesn't have keyless entry).
I've found a product called Autowatch Ghost which stops the keyless entry thefts.
If you don't mind answering how was yours stolen?

#23 ·
Well I would say just disable the key less entry.
And just use remote buttons to lock and unlock.

Regards,
KJ

#24 ·
crownjewels said:
Can't the tracking centre not locate it either, or are they unwilling to tell you a location if they have located it? either way I feel for you, I'd be gutted. I've ordered an SVR and have been researching aftermarket security products because of the rise in Keyless thefts (current F-pace doesn't have keyless entry).
I've found a product called Autowatch Ghost which stops the keyless entry thefts.
If you don't mind answering how was yours stolen?
My understanding, and I may be wrong, is the tracker system is not active (subscription not paid) and he is only going off information the app on his phone is giving.

I may be wrong though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.